Lightning

Exterior Door Handle

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004 | 06:53 PM
|
Exterior Door Handle

Does the exterior door handle assembly bolt on or is it rivited on like on Mustangs?

My sons's truck got broken into less than 24 hours after installing the new head unit and they popped the pass. side lock cylinder in with a screwdriver. At least a good install allows a thief to do less damage when stealing your crap!

I'd like to get the part from the Dealer and swap it out myself, if it bolts on.

Thanks,

Herb

Old 07-28-2004 | 07:15 PM
They are bolted and you can change it yourself. First , make sure the glass is all the way up. Then remove the door panel. Next remove the bolt holding the rear glass run channel in place and move the channel aside. Disconnnect the latch to lock cylinder rod. Then disconnect the front door latch to outside handle rod both at the handle and at the latch. Unbolt and remove the handle.

Easy job.....

Old 07-28-2004 | 07:30 PM
|

Cool!

Thanks - I love this site and this community!!

Herb

Old 07-29-2004 | 01:16 AM
handle

I have a red driver's side handle off my 00 if you need one. Let me know.

Old 07-29-2004 | 07:20 AM
|
Hey - thanks for the offer!

His truck is white so it may look a bit ricey (LOL) but very distinctive!

Seriosly, though, thanks.

p.s. I love your interior work. I haven't searched for a gallery yet, but where can I find some more details/photos of your interior paint work?

Thanks,
Herb

Old 07-29-2004 | 08:45 AM
i had to do this last saturday, for the same reason! the handle has two studs on it, one at each end. there is a 10mm nut on these that hold the handle to the door. the back one is a little tricky to get to. once you have the lock cylinder keyed for your key, it just pops into the new handle, then the handle bolts in. should take less than an hour. the parts cost me $60, but hat was with the employee discount on parts from the dealer. i wanted to replace the handle with one with no key hole, but tha hanlde was $140.

Old 07-29-2004 | 08:53 AM
|
Thanks for the info, but sorry that you know how..

How much did they get you for? In my son's truck, they took the brand new (23 hrs old) Sony head unit, the way trick custom harness I built and they broke the adapter mount. Phone was still there, CD still ther, amp & subs still there and no damage other than the adapter and the door handle. I guess we were lucky in some sick twisted way...

This was in the Outback Steakhouse parking lot as they were severed their salads. Camera caught the perps and the license plate of the car, but the cops didn't bother with it - no dusting, nothing - just "call your insurance" - freakin' deductable now!

Herb

Old 07-29-2004 | 12:11 PM
just my $500 eclipse head unit, and the plug in adapter ($15) and broke the plastic dash mounting kit ($20) and busted the lock, the same as you described. if you have any questions let me know. same story here with the cops

btw, where is live oak, tx ?

Last edited by brain bypass; 07-29-2004 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2004 | 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Herb101
Camera caught the perps and the license plate of the car, but the cops didn't bother with it

Herb
Do you know the plate?
Its easy to look up...

Springer from Houston

Old 07-29-2004 | 01:42 PM
|
Live Oak is a little incorporated town that is actually a suburb Northeast of San Antonio - between SA and Universal city.

I didn't see the tape (I wasn't there) and the cops wouldn't let my son see it.

I work in building automation, controlled acess and CCTV, so I've seen plenty of tapes. Usually can't get a plate number from a typical commercial installation.

Maybe I could make an appoitment to sell Outback an upgrade and review their current system (at the footage). hmmm.

Herb

Quick Reply: Exterior Door Handle