Lightning

Need advice: Leave a True Blue stock or color match the upper and lower grills.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice: Leave a True Blue stock or color match the upper and lower grills.

I have a blemish (through the clearcoat) in the painted part of the grill area that surrounds the headlights. I'm having a really great painter fix it (have seen his work). He looked at the truck today and asked me if i wanted him to color match the upper and lower grill areas (normally the grayish color) to True Blue while he is at it as he thought it would look pretty nice. What ya think? Keep a rare color truck stock or go True Blue all the way? I'm leaning towards going for it. Any input?

Old 07-29-2004, 08:50 PM
If you feel he is that good, it sounds like a plan...These guys can come up with super nice stuff...He will replace your clear coat after, right ??

Old 07-29-2004, 09:09 PM
Anyone able to photoshop that?

I also have a True Blue and have been thinking of doing the same...

Herb

Old 07-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Hell yeah! Go for it, it's just paint, be different!

Old 07-29-2004, 09:50 PM
I would leave the grill alone, I personally think that the contrast of the blue and grey looks better than all blue.

Old 07-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Don's Bolt
I would leave the grill alone, I personally think that the contrast of the blue and grey looks better than all blue.
Correct...............

PEacE............
Jim

Old 07-29-2004, 10:44 PM
I'm with Don and Blown 93 on this one. In my opinion a contrast of colors looks better that one solid color.

Old 07-29-2004, 10:45 PM
without being able to see an example of the concept, I'd have to say that in my mind, I agree with the last three above me, I think you need the contrast.

my vote: leave it grey... or is it gray?

just my .02

later,
chris

Old 07-30-2004, 05:18 AM
Way out in left field...

Here's another idea but different from the other comments. My own preference is to brighten up the nose. The color True Blue is SUPERB! but I like a little chrome to highlight a dark color. I'm having the lower grill chromed to see what it will do for the total look of the nose. This is the 2002-03 harley Edition upper grill and is a direct bolt in to the Lightning.

Scott

Edit: another thought is to have the lower painted body color to have it blend in and the Chrome upper to accent the nose of the vehicle.

Old 07-30-2004, 06:07 AM
I like your idea...Its a sharp looking truck...the lower grill chromed will match up nice I think...

Old 07-30-2004, 07:14 AM
Hey John, How you been Pal

Tuff call without seeing it, Red L's look pretty hot with matching colored grills, Black too (even know you cant notice it). You know what Vinnie would say right ?
FLAME IT

I love the chrome look Scott, I agree that would look great on a Dark L (hey I have a dark L, hmmmmmmm ???)

I personally like a Clean and Mean Look, thats why I'm a Black Kind of Guy. I was never one for too much chrome, BUT as Scott said Chrome is an excellent accent on dark colors. I DO LIKE the accent of the Shiney Lightning Emblem on the Fenders, the Badges on the Tail Gate, and I think a Chrome Grill WOULD LOOK HOT

hey I got an idea, buy a chrome upper and lower grill, and if you don't like it, send it to me, and I'll send you a few cans of black spray paint

A PHOTO SHOP WOULD BE AWESOME,
ANYONE ?????
I'm a clone expert, but unfortunatly not good w/ Photo Chop

Old 07-30-2004, 07:19 AM
Well, I say go for it. If you don't, you will always wonder what it would have looked like.

If you get it done and don't like it after a while, you can always find either some stock grills to put back, or a chrome or billet grill to go in.

That being said, I think it would look great. Color matching like that works really well on darker colors.

Old 07-30-2004, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the varied responses. I'm going to look into the availability of the grills as that would be an easy way to revert back to stock if i didn't like it. Chris, GREY is Don talk...Ha, Ha. By the way that truck with the white stripe is SWEET!!!

Old 07-30-2004, 09:57 AM
Mask the leading edge of the horizontal bars edge to edge and paint the rest. It would be a very different look due to the shading. Just another thought! Think i might give it a try on my red 01. Artie

Quick Reply: Need advice: Leave a True Blue stock or color match the upper and lower grills.