Lightning

Need help ASAP (towing)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004 | 09:32 PM
|
Question Need help ASAP (towing)

How well do this trucks haul cars over long distances. I have 2'' shackles on the rear will that affect anything. Reason is my dad just bought a 70 roadrunner but needs a way to trailer it home. The Car is in Florida and I'm in Pa. To make a long story short he is having a heck of a time with the truck he is going to use to tow with and using my L to tow it home would be a last resort to bring it home. Please as honest and straight forward as possible. I did try a search and couldn't find what I really wanted to know. Thanks in advance

Adam

Old 07-30-2004 | 09:42 PM
Yep, you should be fine!

Old 07-30-2004 | 09:55 PM
Adam

There will be NO problems pulling a trailer w/car as long as it within the 5000 lb rating.
I pulled a 12' enclosed trailer back from Fla, loaded with tools and furniture. Don't know the weight, but my truck didn't know it was there, except when braking. My gas mileage was way worse with the trailer. I believe 3 tanks going down to Fla and 6 tanks coming back.

Also wanted to thank you again for that outstanding DVD you made. I didn't realize that I was slideing my front tires during the burnout. I knew it was a short burnout, but didn't know it was that short. Kinda explains my chitty 60' times, as I lost 2/10 in my 60'. Also Rob's excuse was a classic, especially him explaining why he lost. It comes thru loud and clear, "This is why I lost......."

**edit for spelling**

Last edited by Fast Gator; 07-31-2004 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-31-2004 | 12:28 AM
|
Thanks for the replies guys. That makes me feel better to hear that he can use the L if need be.

Bruce, No problem making the DVD glad you caught something from watching it Hope Rob liked it too haven't head from him about it. Thanks for the compliment.

Old 07-31-2004 | 05:18 AM
Old 07-31-2004 | 10:46 AM
Shouldn't be a major problem for the truck but depending on the tung weight you my want to throw on some bolt on helper springs.

You will deffinitly want a trailer brake controler.
The L is pre wired for one. There is a femal plug under the dash right above the Loud Pedal.

I use the Tckonsha Voyager http://www.truckxpressions.com/acces...tm?SOURCE=BROI

Most trailer sales places carry them and the plug in adapter to fit our Ford connector.

Gas mileage will be less than ten MPG and be sure you use the good stuff and listen for ping on hills.

Don't forget to air up the rear tire's to.

If your renting a trailer try and get a lightweight alluminum.
Any chance up just going with the car hauler that lets you drag an axle?

Old 08-01-2004 | 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Crp_diem
Hope Rob liked it too haven't head from him about it.

WHAT YOU TALKING BOUT WILLIS
I e-mailed you the day I got it to Thank You
AND Did a post Thanking You
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hlight=Crpdiem

Re: Special Thanks to Crp_diem for the making of the Cecil Video
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
HA HA BLUE ***** --> nothing to watch, hehehehehe
In yesterday's mail I got a DVD Adam made, it has MANY OF US racing at Cecil on it. SSOTN (4/17/04)
Music, editing, diff angles, I was very impressed, and I want to
personally say, THANKS PAL KICK *** MOVIE
And "THEE" first time I got to see me miss another 11 sec pass
by a 100th of a second (#@$(@$#%)!#@!)#!#$!#$!(#$
(I had only saw the other run up to now)

Lots of great JJ shots, Red L's, Black L's, that Wheelie Popping
Beeeeeeeeautiful Red Camaro runnning the 9.0
KICK *** MUSIC, and a really really funny post interview
in the pit's
(Ray you saw him shut off my Nitrous RIGHT BUDDY ?) hehehehe

If Gator should ever surface again ???? WTF ???
Don't answer me e-mails, no sign of him here ?
Anyone know if he's alive ???
He will love what Adams done too.

The problem is, it's on a DVD disk, and I have no clue "IF" and "HOW" I can post it ? Edit it and take my run off it ? Host it (even if I did have a place to) etc.... ???
You guys would love to see this, it's the working mans Vid,
13 sec L's, 12 sec L's, JJ's 11.0 (he did get 10's that day)
The 9.0 Camaro, and one funny *** post interview

THANKS ADAM, YOUR THE BEST..........
WELL WORTH THE WAIT

I'm sorry you never saw that Adam, or got my e-mail

Old 08-01-2004 | 01:36 PM
make sure the car is centered on the trailer. That way the axles of the trailer take up most of the weight, instead of the tongue of the trailer.

Old 08-01-2004 | 04:17 PM
I've towed with mine w/ 2in shackles and it seems to do pretty well. Just try to make sure the car isn't loaded too far forward on the trailer.

My Z on my trailer

You can get a feel for the little bit of sag in this picture:
A mustang I hauled for someone else

Brake controller helps TREMENDOUSLY! I'd seriously recommend getting one. Love mine. Gas milead does suck, but it's mostly in town that REALLY kills it. Freeway hauling for me didn't seem to affect it that much.

Old 08-01-2004 | 10:34 PM
CAUTION WILL ROBINSON:

Everyone keeps suggesting going light on the tung weight like it is the answer. A word of caution on that as I had a friend who used to do that.

He passed a semi at 65 MPH, it started to wag on him (zig zag) he made the mistake of touching the brakes and lost the whole show. Went into the ditch broke off the trailer and rolled his truck. Lucky the trailer didn't cross into oncoming.

The guy in the 18 wheeler stopped to help and waited for the cops with him and his wife. They did not get a ticket because the semi driver wittnessed that they did nothing wrong. (leagaly like turn signals & all that)

He should have stepped on the gas to straighten out the trailer but it is like some folks driving in snow and not wanting to turn with the skid.

Trailer brake controller would have allowed him to apply trailer brakes to straighten himself out.

The crux of it was that he had no trailer brakes and very little tung weight. When he got in trouble with the side wind from the semi and hit the brakes the back end lifted and the trailer just pushed him off the road.

Trailer towing is serious buisness and needs to be thought out carefully. Lots of people get by on luck but I would hate to see anything happen to an L brother.

These trucks are the most amazing inventions I have ever driven for a turn key ride.

Power/Handling/Function/Fun= Ford Lightning

Old 08-01-2004 | 10:46 PM
|
Well turns out now that the L is not going to be towing the new car back. Things just have a way of working out. Dad is using his brothers truck and a friend of his enclosed trailer. Thanks for all the replies and tips on how to tow with these trucks just may need them in the future who knows. I'll be sure to post pics of it when I get back from vacation.

Adam

Quick Reply: Need help ASAP (towing)