Lightning

air intake e-fan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air intake e-fan?

Well i'm bored, and i started thinking about the L and ways to make more power. I sat there lookin at my filter setup and then started thinking about fans... what if you positioned a small e-fan near the filter with a simple switch in the cab? anyone ever done this? am i the first one to think of this? or is this a stupid idea? would it be possible for this setup to push more air through? what do you guys think?

Old 08-04-2004, 08:28 AM
in theory it sounds like it would at idle........but you dont really need it then. At WOT there would be more than enough air to warrant not having one IMO

Old 08-04-2004, 11:20 AM
I tried doing that a while ago. After I added my open air element I noticed a sluggishness when it was hot out. I have a 4" bilge fan hooked up to some dryer ducting and routed it near my filter. I forgot how much CFM the fan is good for.. maybe around 320. Anyways I have it switched. I did notice that the ducting of fresh air up to the filter helped, but it didn't matter if I had the fan on or off.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...6572&anum=2739
I would just get a fast air, get a cleaner look and forget adding a fan.

Old 08-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Yes, people have thought about it, even so far as to sell electric blowers on Ebay.

No, it won't work. At all. Ever. Worse comes to worse, take that fan, mount it on the dash, and have it blow your hair back as you drive to make it look like you're going faster.

Old 08-04-2004, 05:12 PM
Nope...

Basically what others have said.

You just can't get a fan big enough to move the volume of air we need.

In essense, a roots style blows is a big air fan/air pump, so you would need something at least as powerful as our blower.

Compressed air is an option (and you could ALMOST do it) but the added weight isn't worth it.

Coldie

Old 08-04-2004, 06:41 PM
oh well.. thanks for the responses.. after i wrote it i figured if it was worth anything one of our tuners would already be selling it

Old 08-04-2004, 07:42 PM
The electric fan powered super charger has successfully be used on small displacement mortorcycle engines to improve low end torque but because of the weight and battery required it never caught on.

As far as cold air help. I don't think so.

The KISS system is still the best.

Quick Reply: air intake e-fan?