Lightning

whats limiting our L's on towing........

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats limiting our L's on towing........

I wanting to tow my car with trailer:

But it has a CURB WEIGHT of 3,380 LBS. Is this dangerous and am I asking trouble with my powertrain?

Thanks
Eric

Old 08-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Its more of a suspension issue than powertrain one. (At least I think so)

Old 08-04-2004, 12:48 PM
Add the weight of the trailer, to the weight of what your towing. If it falls in the guidlines for what the Lightning is rated for, your good to go.

If it is heavier, you can buy a load leveling hitch that will allow you about an extra 1000 lbs of tow weight. I use one to tow my Lightning with my 4.6 F150 longbed, and it works fine.

I think the suspension is the only issue, and like I said, it is easy to make up for that with a load leveling hitch.

Rocks

Old 08-04-2004, 12:55 PM
One more issue to look at. Check the load rating on the rear tires of your Lightning, to make sure they can handle the weight.

I just had to buy higher rated tires for my tow vehicle. The stock sized tires could not take the abuse. They where splitting at the bead of the tire from the weight.

Rocks

Old 08-04-2004, 01:09 PM
I know when the lightning first cam out it had tires rated at 1810 so that was the limiting factor then but tires now are 21xx so it gets to the suspension and IF you have altered it.Also chip and pulley might limit you too.Stan

Old 08-05-2004, 02:50 AM
My experience with towing is that boost kills. I tow a pretty big deck boat probably every other weekend and then tow my broncos to go wheeling every weekend in between and when I hit big hills i have to be careful not to step into the gas like you would do on a n/a engine because the boost just wants to build. On a big hill this breates too much heat and makes my truck run too inefficiently. I run a 4 lb lower with my stock eaton so exit air temps get pretty hot. I think if you gonna tow alot you gotta take down the boost or invest in a charger with lower exit air temps. I always seem to get by though. You just have to be more careful and be aware of what conditions you are putting the truck under.

Old 08-05-2004, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by peterbuilt
. . . On a big hill this breates too much heat and makes my truck run too inefficiently. I run a 4 lb lower with my stock eaton so exit air temps get pretty hot. I think if you gonna tow alot you gotta take down the boost or invest in a charger with lower exit air temps. . .
Might also consider upgrading the heat exchanger and adding fans.

Old 08-05-2004, 01:39 PM
I am wanting to lower my truck, will this hurt my towing?

Old 08-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Might also consider upgrading the heat exchanger and adding fans.
Yes thank you Tim I am looking in to this.

Will lowering my truck effect towing
I am no expert on lowering kits but i believe it depends on the kit.
If you get new rear springs then i would imagine they have a lower sring rate in which case yes it would limit towing capabilities unless you invested in some air bag helper springs or something. i am sure there are more experienced people that can offer you advice on this subject though so i'll let them chime in.

Old 08-05-2004, 02:26 PM
I was thinking about shackles in the rear and springs up front. Those air lift kits are not really that much $.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:54 PM
I tow a Mustang and an aluminum trailer with my Lightning w/ no problem. I have a 4 lb. lower, just I have a 2 way chip with one of the sides made for towing from PSP. I also, just today actually, ordered a lowering kit for it. They said that a 1 inch front, 2 inch rear drop wouldn't hurt towing, but not to go any further than that. I have wanted to lower my truck too, but was also worried about the negative side affects it may have on towing. I ordered Eibach front springs and rear shackles from JDM. We'll see I guess.

Old 08-05-2004, 09:44 PM

Use load leveler, and have air bags but never used them. No problems. Have been over the Grapevine (long steep climb into Los Angeles) several times. Only hassles Ive had are being flipped off by guys in Chevys, and Dodge guys trying to race me when Im towing. Id say its depends how much your car inside weighs.

Quick Reply: whats limiting our L's on towing........