Lightning

ftvb= ticket ?!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, I got an Exhibition of Speed ticket once. In California at the time (1982) this was a MISDEMEANOR, punishible by up to $1,000 fine and jail time!

I plead no contest and got a fine, but they took me down to the jailhouse, fingerprinted me and put me 'into the system'. Insurance went up, too.

You might inquire about maximum penalties in your jursidiction. If you are lucky, in your area this might be the kind of thing you can just take an online course for and pay a small fee.

Old 08-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Unoid
having a performance vehicle that shifts the tranny sof ast you BARK the tranny, NOT burn out which leaves much rubber is not a crime.

you were not accellerating overly fast so there should be no contest, get a lawyer and go to court.
Uh oh. Gotta raise the BS flag on this one. Not as a lawyer -- just as a normal dude.

I have had a FTVB for two years. Despite more full throttle takeoffs than you can shake a stick at, I have NEVER barked second.

Well, you say, I only have a stock engine. True, but that only proves my point. Using the full power of the stock engine (with the torque reduction intact), my tires will not bark. If you are laying down enough HP to bark the tires -- FTVB, chip, or whatnot -- than you are accelerating faster than Roseanne Barr heading to a buffet.

I ain't sayin' that this is wrong. I ain't sayin' that its illegal. But trying to portray barking 26" of sticky rubber as normal acceleration doesn't pass the stink test.

So let's just be honest here and start out with the proposition that there was some serious acceleration going on and deal with it from there.

Old 08-04-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Bryce_Thomason
lawyers rock
I got a ticket doing 89 in a 55 last month in the L just because I was day-dreaming as usual and anyone in georgia under 18 doing 24mph or more over get suspended.

I thought I was screwed but anyways this great lawyer got me 3 hrs of driving courses in exchange for TOTAL dismissal of the ticket so the lesson is just pay and get a lawyer

paying a grand is better than not being able to drive any day.

Last edited by svtguy12; 08-04-2004 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:42 PM
i did notice on the ticket that he wrote me down as a 1995 model f-150........shows attention to detail. anyone from texas know the law on this matter? thanks for the feedback guys. regarding tim's comments, no i am not stock....ported eaton 4lb lower 2.8 upper chip filter tQ reduction off, no it doesnt take much to bark my tires i tested the same spot tonight, high traffic area, pavement smooth as glass, i could bark the tires in i geo metro if i wanted to, what bs

Old 08-04-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by captainoblivious
Get a lawyer. Let them fight it.

Even if you get the cops/judge to understand about the hard shifting transmission, the ticket is still for 'Exhibition of Acceleration', meaning you got up to speed to quickly. In the eyes of the law, that is different from a hard shift.

captain, the ticket was given because he said my tires "left rubber" uppon inspection i saw no "rubber" at all the next day. by the way he didn't say a frucking thing about my strait pipes, no one ever has except my neighbors, by the way, Rob you always think things through before you do anything huh

Old 08-05-2004, 01:42 AM
My Brother Lives up in Luboock and Attends Tech. He got a few tickets speeding and a few other and got thrown in Jail for his friends actions. Well long story short he hired a lawyer and all were dissmissed because the cop accused him of the wrong thing! Wrote up the wrong offences and such. Ill be up there next year so I hope to see more L's even though he told me hes only seen 1.

Old 08-05-2004, 02:02 AM
I just settled an Exhibition of Speed ticket here in California. The max penalty sucks. $3221.00 fine and up to 1 year in jail. Mine got reduced to an infraction and had to pay $250. Good luck!

Old 08-05-2004, 05:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bryce_Thomason
Rob you always think things through before you do anything huh
Didn't you know Rob was a praticing Lawyer....among other things

FWIW.........I can "bark" my rear tires when I want too. I can take off moderatly fast without the "bark". Just depends on how hard you push the fast pedal.
One time at Englishtown with the ET Streets I heard them "bark" on the 1-2 shift

Old 08-05-2004, 07:00 AM
GET A LAWYER,
everyone is getting hard on racing "thank you fast & furious wanabes" you mentioned it said exhibition of speed/ racing, I know my drag racing 1 cost me 4 points and a couple hundred bucks, 2 yrs ago, stupid me no lawyer. any ticket with racing on it says BEND OVER. as he has it written for the wrong yr truck, it sounds like a loophole to us, but a lawyer will know how to play it best.
Good Luck

Old 08-05-2004, 08:44 AM
Bryce, these days it's all about "revenue"

for county and state! I got a "laying drag" ticket last Nov. because when slowing down for a right turn, making turn, foot slipped off brake onto gas and truck very slightly fishtailed, but no tire chirp. Haven't had a ticket since 1983 and old fart to boot. Laying drag highly improbable. Got a lawyer, but did research on my own. My affluent Atlanta suburban community gets 12-15% of its annual revenue from traffic/criminal fines, courtfees, probation fees, and various school/drug/alchohol intervention fees. When I produced my driving record, my lawyer got it reduced to "improper turn", but paid full fine!

You could try approaching the ADA handling your case, producing the receipt for FTVB that changed shift characteristics of transmission. Definitely don't mention performance mods and say you keep your vehicles for a long time and ftvb supposed to be easy on clutch paks. See if he will negotiate to a lesser or no points charge as long as you pay fine. BE CAREFUL you don't say too much and predudice your case if he won't negotiate and you need to get a lawyer. Keep it strictly about ftvb ONLY.

Thes guys are usually young kids just out of law school and hate their jobs. They can't wait to get some experience and leave those jobs. However, they frequently see a defendent trying to negotiate directly with ADA without using lawyer as a threat to future livliehood by not playing according to the rules of "everybody feeding at the trough of the criminal justice industry" Make no mistake, that is what it is!

Good Luck!

Old 08-05-2004, 09:14 AM
You might seriously consider sitting down with a lawyer on this one. The "hard shifting" part won't make any difference - thats the "attention getter". It's, the in your words; "1/2 - 3/4 throttle" in a 45mph zone and your 2 priors for speeding thats a problem. I lived in the country for many years and near a small town maybe like yours with only a couple of Police - and "1/2 to 3/4 throttle" on main street would get you a ticket every time.

Old 08-05-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Blown347Hatch
In Florida, the cops get to say "in their experience" to get past the proof of speed, or whatever BS judgement call they made.

Anyway, in Florida we have traffic attorney law offices (Ticket Defense Team, Ticket Clinic) for $69.00 they have a lawyer show up in traffic court, argue your case with whatever technicalities are available, and hopefully get your ticket dismissed.

Wow GREAT DEAL, in NY a Lawyer can cost thousands for one single ticket, reason being the Cop WILL NEVER EVER show up the first 2 times just as a power play. After the second no show from the Cop the Judge will call the case back a third time for disposistion only (is that what they call it Tim ???, meaning next time it gets settled no matter what)

If the cop doesn not show the third time, you get no charge and walk away free, but of course as I said this is all a power play and the cop will always show up the third time (which is now usually anywhere from 8 months to up to 2 years from the original ticket date, (if you play the same power play and reschedule a date or three yourself)

The bad news is on the third court date the Cop WILL ALWAYS SHOW and then goes into this unbelievable long explanation on how he's trained to determain your speed even without a radar, or a speed gun. The all of a sudden he whips out notes and has a story totally differant from what happen. So of course your defence is now shot to schitt because you have two total diff stories and no defence for his made up story. Another words you always lose, there are hardly no exceptions.

Here in NY it's cheaper to save the Lawler fee (which as I say usually runs 1 to 2 K "or more" for the 3 days in court) and just go there yourself and talk to the DA and cut a deal to lessen the charge, thats what I always do. Well that and totally respect any Officer that pulls me over, I'm extremly nice, I beg, cry, whine,
"what ever it takes to reason with them" BEFORE they write the ticket.

Old 08-05-2004, 09:52 AM
fight the ticket and take the judge for a ride on the SAME street, (hell let him drive)

if it barks 2nd all the time

Old 08-05-2004, 09:55 AM
I'm extremly nice, I beg, cry, whine,

Isn't the whine what usually GETS you the ticket!!

Herb

Old 08-05-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by l-menace
fight the ticket and take the judge for a ride on the SAME street, (hell let him drive)

if it barks 2nd all the time
Just make sure the cops write the judge a ticket for the same thing

Quick Reply: ftvb= ticket ?!!