Lightning

Works 112 ? is this a good replacment

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004 | 04:05 PM
Works 112 = Magnuson
Works 140 = Whipple
Works just made the intake and adapter attached to the blower. Repairs of units can be handled through the Magnuson or Whipple. There is really nothing to repair on the Work parts unless you take a hammer to it.

Old 08-13-2004 | 04:46 PM
Originally posted by MadNess
Hey BMWBig6... how can that possibly be? Tim says thats not true... HE MUST know right?
Look, MadNess, I don't know what your problem is. You seem to just be trying to pick a fight with me.

I said:

"And I have heard from reliable sources that the Works 112 is very unreliable.
Put those two things together [Works' disappearance] and it spells s-t-a-y-a-w-a-y.
The Magnum Powers seems like a better bet in that price range.
"

I cannot be "wrong" when I only relay what I have heard. And nothing that BMWBig6 says can change the fact that I heard what I heard.

And I cannot be "wrong" when make an observation ("seems like") rather than state an absolute conclusion.

Because others have had positive experiences with the reliability of the 112 is encouraging. But I know of a vendor who has three broken 112s sitting in its warehouse. And reports of numerous others with flaking rotors. And check the classifieds for the guy who sold his 112 because of excessive gear noise.

Even if these reliability concerns prove to be statistically unfounded, I still would be hesitant to buy a product from a company that is, as a practical matter, gone. So Magnusen can service the guts of the 112. Fine. But the issue pointed out to me by the vendor was some sort of bearing support issue, which would require Works parts. Classic example -- the 112 on eBay is for a 99-00. To use this blower on a 01-up requires one to find an adapter. Maybe someone else can fab one up or something else fits. I don't want to have to find out.

In short, I stand behind each of my carefully chosen words. I take the time to carefully compose posts. You would be well served to take the time to read them carefully. But then again, if all you want to do is pick a fight with me, I suppose that you will find a way.

Old 08-13-2004 | 04:47 PM
Originally posted by BMWBig6
. . . Maybe you should call Works Power and see if they can help guide you to your goal?
Good luck. Unless you have a secret number, it won't do any good.

Old 08-13-2004 | 04:52 PM
very simple Tim, even you will understand this: those that actually own the 112 on this thread seem to disagree with you... you do not actually own one, therefore you are only spreading hearsay...

Old 08-13-2004 | 06:00 PM
Originally posted by MadNess
very simple Tim, even you will understand this: those that actually own the 112 on this thread seem to disagree with you... you do not actually own one, therefore you are only spreading hearsay...
And once again, you need to read carefully. There is nothing to "disagree" with me about. I only relayed information.

Others report that they have subjected 112s to extreme punishment and they work fine.

There is no right or wrong here -- just different people with different experiences. The people who have had no trouble cannot say that the 112 is reliable and the people who have had trouble cannot say that the 112 is unreliable. Right now, the count appears to be:
--two good (one firsthand experience, one "hearsay");
--one too early to tell (yours);
--at least three bad (my "hearsay");
--one sold due to excessive gear noise (camcojb); and
--a former Works vendor advising me to pass over a 122 and buy an Magnum Powers instead (even though that vendor does not sell MPs).

People can make their own decisions based upon their tolerance for risk.

Once again, you seem to be just picking a fight with me. You have now resorted to insulting my intelligence. Rather than launch a pointless counterattack, I would rather just ask you what your beef is with me.

Old 08-13-2004 | 06:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I emailed Whipple Supercharger a while back inquiring about a supercharger for my 03 L and here is the reply I received:

----- Original Message -----
To: Todd
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 1:46 PM
Subject: Re: Blower for 2003 Ford Lightning

Todd,
We are looking at doing an upgrade system for the Lightning motor, like we did for the 4.6 Mustang. Please check back with us in a few months and hopefully we will have more up to date info. for you.
Thank you for your interest,
Shonda

It's a general response but at least they didn't ignore me. I plan on sending them another email in September to see if they have made any progress. Hopefully they will have some additional info as indicated in their response.

Old 08-13-2004 | 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton

--a former Works vendor advising me to pass over a 122 and buy an Magnum Powers instead (even though that vendor does not sell MPs).
That statment is enough for me to stay far away from a Works, even though I was thisclose to purchasing one.

Old 08-13-2004 | 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Txoutlaw
I. . . Hopefully they will have some additional info as indicated in their response. . . .
This has been on the radar for a while at Whipple. Whipple's development guys are always super swamped. My truck was going to be the Whipple test mule, but the deal went stale.

But whether through Whipple directly or through the development efforts of some other vendor, I suspect that a Gen 2 Whipple system will be out sometime in the next few months.

Old 08-13-2004 | 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
This has been on the radar for a while at Whipple. Whipple's development guys are always super swamped. My truck was going to be the Whipple test mule, but the deal went stale.

But whether through Whipple directly or through the development efforts of some other vendor, I suspect that a Gen 2 Whipple system will be out sometime in the next few months.
Tim since I believe Whipple was doing this Lightning project with REM (as earlier reported on this board), and you were the test truck.......Id assume that you were doing this through REM?...or do you know Art and Dustin?

Old 08-13-2004 | 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Calightnin
Works 112 = Magnuson
Works 140 = Whipple
Works just made the intake and adapter attached to the blower. Repairs of units can be handled through the Magnuson or Whipple. There is really nothing to repair on the Work parts unless you take a hammer to it.
I have no problem with the part Chris at works made, it isn't the problem with the works 112. If he had used a real eaton Blower I would say go for it. However the 112 Magnuson blower is a inferior blower to the eaton. They make the case to week, with to much flex in the housing and it can cause the rotor pacs to hit the inside of the housing, when that happens it fails.

Trust me I know all about Magnusons sevice, or lack of it.

I don't know why eaton still uses Magnuson as a official rebuilder, of the eaton products.

Old 08-13-2004 | 10:20 PM
arguing with tim is like asking to get kicked in the nuts. I wouldn't even bother.

Old 08-13-2004 | 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Calightnin
Tim since I believe Whipple was doing this Lightning project with REM (as earlier reported on this board), and you were the test truck.......Id assume that you were doing this through REM?...or do you know Art and Dustin?
I was going to be the REM test mule. Whipple was just too busy to deal with it at the time.

I have never spoken with Dustin, but I think that Art was the person that I talked to a couple of times. Why?

Old 08-13-2004 | 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Don's Bolt
. . . They make the case to week, with to much flex in the housing and it can cause the rotor pacs to hit the inside of the housing, when that happens it fails. . .
That's more or less what I heard - case integrity issues causing bearing failures and/or rotor scarring/flaking. Or something like that.

The later versions may have had some improvements to the case. I'm not real clear on that. I've never been real clear on anything from Works. Hell, I've never been real clear whether Works exists. It's a shame, because all reports are that Chris is a good guy and talented engineer -- and the 140 was da bomb. Hopefully Whipple or someone else will step in to fill the vacuum.

Old 08-13-2004 | 10:53 PM
I was just wondering who was your "reliable source", and you answered it. Thank you.

Last edited by Calightnin; 08-13-2004 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2004 | 10:58 PM
Whipple is making a big blower 5.4 kit using the lightning lower intake and intercooler....its not got the same shape intake manifolding for the throttle body that Works had is all. It would probably fit a lightning with a little fussing around.
Dale

Quick Reply: Works 112 ? is this a good replacment