Lightning

Works 112 ? is this a good replacment

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS: Tim it really is kinda unfair to argue with you since you do it for a living. but I bet I could dig a ditch faster.

Old 08-14-2004, 12:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Calightnin
PS: Tim it really is kinda unfair to argue with you since you do it for a living. but I bet I could dig a ditch faster.
Hey, man, I've done my share of ditch digging. I was in construction for ten years before I became a scumbag, er, lawyer.

But I'm old and soft now. I'm sure you could give me a vicious beating. Working on my truck is the most strenuous work I do these days.

Old 08-14-2004, 12:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Calightnin
I was just wondering who was your "reliable source", and you answered it. Thank you.
Just for the record, the aborted Whipple deal is unrelated to the 112 information.

Old 08-14-2004, 01:26 AM
oh well it looks like this tread took a wrong turn somewhere

Although it does seem that the 112 Works does have issues when stressing the blower housing frequently (bending and flexing) , like when running larger lower pulleys

Will say more than 14#'s boost causing the rotors to touch and make nosie and possibly cause the rotors to flake and chip

What happens after that ?!

Someone told me today you can even port the Works 112

what do you guys think about this?

Could it or does it outperform the Magnum after this procedure?

More Info Needed

Thank you

Old 08-14-2004, 05:05 AM
At Bald hill Tuesday, I noticed a Saleen with a Works/Whipple/Lysholm WHAT EVER THE HELL THE NAME IS THESE DAYS. The owner tells me it came stock on his Brand New Saleen, (it was one of the high end Saleen's)

I was asking Sal about it, and he said that that blower is the Works Blower (not sure if he said equal to the 112 or 140)
and REM is now working with Whipple. They already offer the Cobra Model Whipple, and also will continue the quest to get a Lightning Model available

I'm sooooooooooo confused, do those 3 names go together ???
Works/Whipple/Lysholm

This is the Cobra Mod (from Whipple's site)
HERE

and the Lightning Model HERE

the new Whipple SC system for the 98-04 5.4L engines make over 50% power across the entire rpm range. With the massive Ford Lighting 8” intercooler mounted inside the new intake manifold, the 2.3L Whipple twin screw supercharger creates nearly 8psi of boost with virtually zero increase in air temperature.

2.3L twin-screw supercharger (as used on the Ford GT and future Lighting

WOO HOO................

Target release date is early 2004.

I guess I ansered my own question, here's the REM Pic + Info

Whipple 2.3L
Whipple2.3L $3,095.00
REM's Whipple supercharger for the '03/'04 Cobra.

Make big power with this twin screw 140ci supercharger
All bolt-on construction
Comes with 3.5" stock size pulley (13lbs of boost)
Must use a single bore throttle body (available from us)
Call for details.... 954-917-9200

Yep, it's a Works 140 alright

I guess we'll keep our eyes out for the Lightning edition......

Rem's site still list the L models as Works
I'm sooooooooooo confused...................

Last edited by Rob_02Lightning; 08-14-2004 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:13 PM
I hope no one thinks I am trying to argue or get into a pissing match with anyone here (that is not my intention), I only posted to offer more data points and try and help 8UR LS1 make a more informed decision.

Regarding the case flex, I have also heard about this issue but AFAIK it only occurs when the blower is overspun with some serious pullies (like an 8-lb lower, which would be getting you damn near 20 lbs of boost, which is out of the 112's optimal operating conditions anyway). This is unrelated to the rotor flaking issue. That is actually the same problem the stock Eaton blowers saw during certain years of Lightning production as Eaton changed the rotor coating material/process (epoxy to graphite? or was it vice versa?). So the Works 112 is not any more or less susceptible to the rotor flaking problem than a stock Eaton, and I believe Works Power will let you choose which coating you want (one type is more fragile but has slightly better properties or efficiency). I think Works Power offers the more durable coating by default these days, but rotor and case warranty matters would probably be handled by Magnuson. You should confirm this with Works yourself though.

Quick Reply: Works 112 ? is this a good replacment