Lightning

Works 112 ? is this a good replacment

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004 | 01:53 AM
|
Question Works 112 ? is this a good replacment

found one for sale and wondering if anyone has had experence w/ this model blower?
on a stock block will it perform as well as the Magnum?
or KB for that matter?

Info would be appreciated
thank you

Old 08-13-2004 | 01:58 AM
Sal ran 10.38 with a works 112 and a big shot of juice

Old 08-13-2004 | 08:49 AM
Iculokn ran an 11.7x sumthin with a stock block and a works 112..... maybe he will chime in....

Old 08-13-2004 | 10:12 AM
I assume that you are referring to the blower on eBay.

Works is gone. I said that before, and people said that I was wrong. Well, now the Works Web site is dead. The phone is not being answered. And they are not shipping products. So if Works is not dead, they are doing a great job of playing possum.

And I have heard from reliable sources that the Works 112 is very unreliable.

Put those two things together and it spells s-t-a-y-a-w-a-y.

The Magnum Powers seems like a better bet in that price range.

Old 08-13-2004 | 10:12 AM
Originally posted by MadNess
Sal ran 10.38 with a works 112 and a big shot of juice
that was a 112? i thought it was a KB jesus. the 112 is still a roots blower right?

Old 08-13-2004 | 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
I assume that you are referring to the blower on eBay.

Works is gone. I said that before, and people said that I was wrong. Well, now the Works Web site is dead. The phone is not being answered. And they are not shipping products. So if Works is not dead, they are doing a great job of playing possum.

And I have heard from reliable sources that the Works 112 is very unreliable.

Put those two things together and it spells s-t-a-y-a-w-a-y.

The Magnum Powers seems like a better bet in that price range.
I feel like I escaped a bullet. I was within a hair of buying the 140. Thank goodness they made it hard to find one.

A friend of mine offered me a deal I couldn't refuse on a Kenne Bell.....otherwise, I would be the proud owner of a blower with no support.

Rocks

Old 08-13-2004 | 10:47 AM
maybe you could pass on the info for that works blower

email to me please

lightninquick@aol.com

Old 08-13-2004 | 11:13 AM
Originally posted by 03LightninRocks
I feel like I escaped a bullet. I was within a hair of buying the 140. Thank goodness they made it hard to find one.

A friend of mine offered me a deal I couldn't refuse on a Kenne Bell.....otherwise, I would be the proud owner of a blower with no support.

Rocks
The only thing works made was the plenum. I'm pretty sure whipple won't be going out of business anytime soon, especially given the fact that the KBs don't do that well on the Cobras when compared to the Whipple.

Old 08-13-2004 | 11:31 AM
Re: Works 112 ? is this a good replacement

Originally posted by 8UR LS1
found one for sale and wondering if anyone has had experence w/ this model blower?
on a stock block will it perform as well as the Magnum?
or KB for that matter?

Info would be appreciated
thank you
I have some experience with these blowers (I have one on my 2003 and I installed another on my friend's 2001).

On my 2003 w/ stock block, 6-lb pulley, chip, filter, and Bassani, I picked up 32 peak rwhp and 26 peak rwtq (all SAE) with the Works 112. Maximum gains were approximately 42 rwhp and 44 rwtq (SAE) at ~4900 RPM. A/F was in the 11's (the "before" runs were leaner, in the 12's). I was using stock exhaust manifolds and factory dual-blade throttle body for these runs, so the 112 might have seen even better numbers from additional breathing if I had LT headers and a single-blade TB.

On my friend's 2001, he didn't have a 6-lb pulley installed yet, so in the interest of science we dyno'd his truck before and after the Works 112 at stock boost (his other mods included chip, filter, Bassani). His hp was just a few ponies shy of mine after slapping on the Works 112 and Works SBTB with stock lower pulley (gaining an amazing 65-75 hp), but his torque was way down. We added the 6-lb pulley, and it only added about 5 peak hp, but it completely eliminated the huge torque difference from my truck. Interesting phenomenon to observe.

Both of us have since moved on to built motors but I have no new data to post yet (should be soon though, after I get everything sorted out). My friend has since sold his L for an M3.

I can't comment on the Magnum or KB as I have no experience with them, but I can offer a little insight on how the Works 112 and Works 140 stack-up from having compared notes with other Works owners. At "street" boost levels (i.e., less than say ~15 lbs) the 112 has more torque and usable power down low than the twin-screw Works 140 (similar to the KB, although it's rear-entry while the KB is top-entry) at similar boost levels. At higher (race-)boost levels, the twin-screw Works 140 (and probably KB) come into their own and really leave the roots blowers behind. The roots 112, generally-speaking at street boost levels, hits a lot sooner and harder than a twin-screw, but it starts to fall down up top (like our factory Heatons, but better of course) as it loses efficiency. The twin-screws build their power more progressively and are still making more and more power up top right up to the point where you're shifting.

A Works 140 is probably in my future, but I am honestly very satisfied with my 112. The instant thrust and judicious torque is exactly what I need on the street (I am not a serious racer). While the peak gains of the Works 112 may not seem impressive, the growth of available power under the curve, especially down low (where it's hard to observe on a dyno pull starting at ~3000 RPM), is the best part about it. Well, that plus the insane blower noise.

As for reliability, my friend and I haven't had any problems with either blower, and the only times I've had to call Works about them was to ask a few questions during the installation. Let me assure you, my friend worked his blower VERY hard as often as he could (he's partially deaf so he needs to wind it up more than the rest of us to enjoy it ). I think his blower had 20-25K hard miles on it when he sold the truck, and it looked great when it came off during his built motor install. His blower is an earlier revision than mine too, but the revisions relate mostly to improvements made to facilitate easier installation, and not changes in performance or function.

Last edited by BMWBig6; 08-13-2004 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2004 | 11:59 AM
Hey BMWBig6... how can that possibly be? Tim says thats not true... HE MUST know right?

Yea I have Sals 112 myself, its in mint condition, and I know he PUNISHED it from the time he got it, until the time he sent it to me If I get a couple bugs with my transmission lines worked out this weekend, I should have my blower installed as well.

Old 08-13-2004 | 12:11 PM
The works 112 and 140 both have been well thought out from a air flow *design* standpoint.

Rich

Old 08-13-2004 | 01:38 PM
|
alright guys it seems you all have different opinons on the Works 112

Right now i'm at 404/505 and i'm needing a blower (Works112 or Magnum) to push me over 450/550 on a stock block and maybe crack off an 11 at montgomery next month.

So what #'s have been seen with the Works 112 or Magnum on a stock block L?

Which would you take and why?

1995- for the Magnum
1500- for the Works

Thanks Guys

Old 08-13-2004 | 02:12 PM
It's hard to predict your performance with so little information. You don't say what type of gas you use, what boost you run, spray, etc. And you don't describe your track setup. I was knocking on the 11's last season on F1's with 32 psi, pump gas, and no traction devices. I never got to try out my race gas program last season. Traction bars and some sticky rubber would have yielded high 11's for sure, if the race gas/tune alone didn't do it. I have no doubt I would have seen mid to high 11's with long tubes too. But now I have a built motor with some headwork and cams so I am working with a completely different baseline this season, and expect to get 11's without long tubes, race gas, race rubber or traction bars. (I'll know in a few weeks).

As for your 450/550 target, I think Dale pulled 466 rwhp on his race program with the 112 before he switched to the 140 (you may want to ask him more about it). He was easily in the 11's if I remember correctly. Your goal of 450 sounds reasonable to me, depending on your other mods. I was sitting around 430/540 SAE at the end of last season on my stock block, before I decided to get a built motor. I think long tubes would have put me right around that 450 rwhp mark you're seeking - so if you have headers already, a Works 112 should be all you need. I can't comment on the Magnum as I am unfamiliar with that blower and don't know too many people running one.

Maybe you should call Works Power and see if they can help guide you to your goal?

Old 08-13-2004 | 02:49 PM
Another thing to take into consideration is warranty. It's mostly about peace of mind, but you never know when you might need to send the unit in to get serviced, repaired, etc.

Old 08-13-2004 | 03:08 PM
|
2000 Lightning,
I run 93 octane all the time at 14-15 #'s boost, full bassani exhaust, 404/505 on Mustang dyno, NOT dyno jet
2 stage autologic,4# lower, 2.80 upper, Nitto 305/45/ZR18's, bell-tec shackles and drop kit ,Pro M 80 w/ anderson powerpipe, single blade TB, Afco Heat EX.,aluminum drive shaft, metco saftey loop and rebuilt tranny w/ fact. tech valve body,line mod and deep pan and pickup.

3:73's on order with E-fan as well

Heaton is sold so its time for a Works 112 or a Magnum

This is the reason for my Questions

Thanks Dennis

Quick Reply: Works 112 ? is this a good replacment