Lightning

Painting interior pieces...Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004 | 01:39 PM
|
Painting interior pieces...Need help!

I was thinkin about painting both the airbag and contoured blastic pieces black to match the rest of the interior.Has anyone done this?How would I get the air bag piece off?And does the contoured piece on the top of the dash come off?Thanks for any info.

Old 08-14-2004 | 02:19 PM
IMO...........I wouldn't paint the passenger side airbag cover if that's what you mean. I think all the other pieces like the ones surrounding the ac vents and radio would look good as well as the shroud surrounding the gauge cluster. But you might regret painting the srs cover......may look ugly. Just my opinion of course. I think everything comes off if you pry on it except the srs cover. Most dash pieces are help on with snap clips and/or a few hidden screws. Pull hard but to a point. Good Luck!

Old 08-14-2004 | 03:39 PM
the trick is to get the pieces very clean and oil free and possibly sand them if you want them smooth, a body filler could be used but with careful sanding i.e........180 grit 400 grit 2000 grit, you sould get them very smooth, or you can paint them as is and get a textured look, use a quality basecoat and a clearcoat. it is also very important to use a plastic adhesion promoter. good luck

Old 08-15-2004 | 09:40 AM
Air Bag Painting

Hi: Just a safety note from air bag training, it is not safe to paint a SIR cover due to the fact that at the time the air bag ever inflates as the rubber cover streaches before it brakes at the parting line to let the bag out, the paint will splenter in to small peices then be blown violently into the face and EYES! of any one in front of it. Me I would hate to think I caused somebody to be blinded just to have matching interior peices. Note* HD trucks run the same dash as a L but they are all black you might could get a salvage yard to trade a good gray one for a black one with a little boot beacuse they will have a chance to sell the gray one 10 to 1 over the black one. JMO

Quick Reply: Painting interior pieces...Need help!