Lightning

A "little" info @ the TCI "Transmission Control Unit System"

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A "little" info @ the TCI "Transmission Control Unit System"

I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaack, DID YOU ALL MISS ME, heheheheh

Remember we were talking about having some kind of control over our Transmission's, and 03GreyLightning
threw a Link at me (THANKS GREY). Well I heard back from the people that make the "Transmission Control Unit System" (TCI)
http://www.tciauto.com/electronics/index.htm
Unfortunately NOT for ours YET, but Tony said they're very close to having the Ford System available, WOO HOO.........

This is the Link Grey had, that I followed over to TCI
A LITTLE INFO HERE ON IT

----- Original Message -----
To: support@fuelairspark.com
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 6:46 PM

Hi Support @ Fuel Air Spark,

Does your Transmission Control Unit System work with a 2002 Ford SVT Lightning with a 4R100 Transmission ???

So your saying I can have my transmission shift at a certain MPH when not at WOT,
(hold a gear to certain MPH and it WILL NOT shift till I get there)

And then at WOT have it shift at a certain RPM (not MPH) ???

Can I shift it manually ???

Exactly what do I need to buy (what part number / numbers)?

and How much ???

Thank You for your time

Rob

We are in the process of producing a trans controller for the Ford stuff and should be available in the next couple of months! If you would....shoot me an email later and I will try to fill you in on the features that the controller will provide!

TONY AKINS

Of course I wrote Tony Back and offered to be the test mule
hehehehehe..... That aint happening..........

But I do hope to get more info soon, wow look, I just got more mail from him now

----- Original Message -----
To: Rob
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 9:29 AM
Subject: Re:

Rob,

For the complete kit, our GM controller is in the $700.00 range. I expect to see the Ford stuff in the same range!

The controller allows you to program 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shift points, and lockup also. You will be able to increase line pressure in performance situations. There are many more features, these are just the basics.

Installation should take no more than one day for anyone. All of the wires on the harness are labeled and the instruction are in the help section on the disk.

TONY AKINS
takins@fuelairspark.com
(662)-224-9336

It would be awesome to have the gears hold out to a desired MPH, and not have the BS short shifts when your just driving nice and mellow.

It would be just as good as manual control "and the power would be right there" (if you held each gear to say the 3000 RPM equal but in MPH instead)

No worry of downshifting when you WOT it (since you'd already be in the right gear even at very light Throttle

and to boot having control over the down shifts too, WOO HOO.... (I want mine to chirp when going back down to first)
Ok I'm kidding............

I'd like to hear more about it, if there are multi settings available, and a way to change them on the fly ???)

I see it has data loging too

I guess it's just like the SCT "Pro" (someone mentioned a diff Pro Series I believe, IS THAT TRUE ???) Can a reg SCT give us accurate adjustments for MPH shifting like this, if so is any tuner doing it ??? I know JDM and Sal have spoke about Road Course Tuning some Brothers (Pawn is one I know of for sure) I believe this stuff may be available to us NOW, but I never hear of it,
(other than the couple I mentioned), what are Jim and Sal using to do this, a reg SCT ? Are these adjustments available to us with
these New Tuners??? It seems this TCI would take some know how to make correct adjustments, I rather see a Tuner do it than me, especially if it is in fact available now, WITHOUT having to spend another 700.00 or so on diff tuning software, AND DOES THIS AUTOMATICALLY OVER RIDE THE REG COMPUTER SETTINGS ?

Oh Well, Hope SOMETHING comes of it ???

Old 08-19-2004, 10:40 AM
Oh BTW while I was clocking dam near 1K in miles seeing Beautiful Up State NY (The Adirondack Region) I tried to get a race going with my Mitsu-what ever against a Hemi with Spinners, but he wouldn't go

If there was any NON FORD I was impressed with, it was this one, Man it sounded unbelievable

Actually I saw a Wheelie Bar Equipted, Parachute Wings and all, Chevy Truck that sounded and looked like a Pro Stocker but didn't have the Camera with me @$%(@$()@$%(@$%@$
He did a little show for the crowed and it was very impressive...

Old 08-19-2004, 10:49 AM
EDIT
I DON'T WANT NO TROUBLE WITH YOU TIM

Last edited by Rob_02Lightning; 08-19-2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:55 AM
Edit
Sorry, I hi-jacked my own post

Last edited by Rob_02Lightning; 08-19-2004 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clarifications needed:

1. The TCI unit will not allow manual shifts, correct?
2. What does the TCI unti offer that cannot be obtained in a chip/microtuner?
3. WTF do those photos have to do with trannies? Oh, . . . wait a minute, . . . these two guys look MIGHTY friendly.

I guess they could be trannies on the weekends.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
Clarifications needed:

1. The TCI unit will not allow manual shifts, correct?
2. What does the TCI unti offer that cannot be obtained in a chip/microtuner?
3. WTF do those photos have to do with trannies? Oh, . . . wait a minute, . . . these two guys look MIGHTY friendly.

I guess they could be trannies on the weekends.
WOW ya what the hell is that about , believe me LG aint like the Village
OR SOMETHING, hehehehehe
It could have just been locals, some of those women have beards

But Man is it a great town for YOUNG HOT WOMEN watching, WOO HOO..

as for the Pic's, NOTHING to do with it, just being me Tim

Tim this is my question too,
CAN WE DO THIS WITH A STD SCT, and if so, WHY AREN'T WE ???
I know you have interest in this subject (Ok sorry I hi-jacked my own post, that was wrong, let me edit it)
And No I guess no manual control, BUT for me if I had each gear hold the equal of say 3K RPM's but in MPH "BEFORE shifting", I think it would satisfy me and be as good as manual shifting, since once I go WOT I can set an accurate shift point based on RPM instead, and them determain the down shift perimeters as well, wouldn't this be helpful also on a Road Course.

CAN THIS BE DONE WITH A STD SCT TUNER ? OR A PREDATOR ??
If so does that mean the tuner has to do it ?
Can I buy a SCT set up the way I want, or does it detail trial and error to acheive this tranny tweaking (some have mentioned that)

Last edited by Rob_02Lightning; 08-19-2004 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:31 PM
It can be done with the standard SCT or Predator, but has to be done by the tuner. The Racer Pro like I have lets you do it yourself. I guess all you'd have to know is what mph you're going at 3000 rpms in each gear to command the upshift at no less than that mph. In other words if 3000 rpms in second is 43 mph say, then start the 2-3 upshift at no less than 43 mph even with light load/throttle. Then ramp it up to 75-80 mph or wherever it is at full throttle rpms/load in that gear.

Not saying those are the correct mph for that rpm and gear, but you get the idea. Simple to do, just make sure it's what you want! Cruising down a neighborhood street at 2900 rpms can get old!

Jody

Old 08-19-2004, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome back Pal

If you get one of those, I'll be willing to bet you'll blow the trans before the motor

Old 08-19-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Fast Gator
Welcome back Pal

If you get one of those, I'll be willing to bet you'll blow the trans before the motor
Sup Gator, hope all is well
BTW
I BET YOUR RIGHT MY FRIEND, but dang it would make driving
the Lightning a whole bunch mo fun

Quick Reply: A "little" info @ the TCI "Transmission Control Unit System"