Lightning

Relocation of airfilter??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Relocation of airfilter??

MY father-in-law builds grand nationals and he is helping me with ideas for my truck. I have a cold air kit coming but was measuring to build a cold ram air setup.

He wanted to know why I didn't move the filter to the large void behind the bumper (in front of the drivers frame rail) The filter would be shielded from the rain but I would have to build a plastic splash guard for heavy puddles. I would have to build duct work to relocate the filter but keep the MAF where it was. Even running duct work through the fender and down to the filter would be an idea. also the extra air pressure in front of the radaitor (a t high speeds) would add maybe a .5 pound of boost because of where it was.

The filter would be in front of the radiator to the side and would be getting freash air constantly. NO sucking in heat unless you were driving backwards. And his Grand national's air temps run right at ambiant air temp after his moodification. even in traffic he only reaches a couple degrees over ambiant.

Old 08-31-2004, 02:10 AM
I was just thinking about the same thing the other day when I was under the hood of my GN...I have a bigmouth air intake for the GN that has 4" piping and locates the filter outside the engine compartment.

Old 08-31-2004, 06:53 AM
Joe has had his like this for years

Pic's from RTKILLA'S Gallery

Old 08-31-2004, 06:55 AM
Looks like he moved the MAF down low too...it definitely cleans up the engine compartment, but I think I would leave the MAF where it is and run piping out to the AF.

Old 08-31-2004, 08:54 AM
Looks good, the only thing I would worry about would be water entering the air passage , maybe put on of those water resistant covers on the filter.

Quick Reply: Relocation of airfilter??