Lightning

Ticking Noise on Cold Starts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking Noise on Cold Starts?

I've been noticing this for a while now but is it a cause for concern? Every time I start my truck when it's cold, I hear this momentary ticking like after you change the oil on a pushrod motor. I just started to think that over time, this may accelerate wear on whatever part isn't getting oiled on startup. Anyone else experiencing this?

Old 08-31-2004, 01:39 PM
Re: Ticking Noise on Cold Starts?

Originally posted by WideOpen03SVT
I've been noticing this for a while now but is it a cause for concern? Every time I start my truck when it's cold, I hear this momentary ticking like after you change the oil on a pushrod motor. I just started to think that over time, this may accelerate wear on whatever part isn't getting oiled on startup. Anyone else experiencing this?
Had the same thing. It was piston slap. Only happens on cold start up. Over time it will cause an issue, but could be 10 years from now!!! Once the pistons are warmed up, they expand and no more slap!!!

Old 08-31-2004, 02:10 PM
Mine does it too, even when it had 3K on it,
only in the Cold, haven't heard it for a while,
but will soon enough
DID I EVER TELL YOU I HATE WINTER _@^$)@%^)@$^%)@$@

Old 08-31-2004, 08:09 PM
How is the lightning in the winter can u feel a big difference in power because of the cold? I know on my last car which was a turbo u could feel the difference.

Jason

Old 08-31-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by svt450r
How is the lightning in the winter can u feel a big difference in power because of the cold? I know on my last car which was a turbo u could feel the difference.

Jason
Just be careful, don't buy cheap fuel (87), there is a difference! I bought some cheap stuff, was messing around with some ricer and started hearing detonation! (This was all stock except an intake) I let out of it immediately and have never bought cheap fuel again, in fact, I sometimes buy 98 octane at 4.89 a gallon! Trying to locate someone that sells toulene in my area. Damn Sunoco! for doing away with 94!
mid 60's ran 13.07
low 80's ran 13.30 God heat sucks!

Old 08-31-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by svt450r

Jason
yep.

Old 08-31-2004, 08:46 PM
Re: Ticking Noise on Cold Starts?

Originally posted by WideOpen03SVT
Part of the L engine package is Forged pistons which can make noise like you describe.

What weight oil do you use. You might try something a little heavier on the top number.

It dosen't hurt but can be embarassing

Old 08-31-2004, 11:08 PM
I've been using Mobil 1 5w30. The truck only has 16,000 miles on it so I don't wanna go any higher in viscosity right now. If it's something to be considered normal with these trucks, then I won't even think of it.

Old 08-31-2004, 11:51 PM
evo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone throwing misfire codes when temp is around 0? I threw 2 last winter. I just reset the computer with my programmer.

Old 09-01-2004, 12:36 AM
we hit -15 plus windchill in Mass last winter. Truck had to be towed out of my driveway. Shop said they did around 2-3k's in work. Fuel rails.....lines.....injectors........

Guess they dont like extreme cold.

Old 09-01-2004, 01:13 AM
What oil filter are you using? They seem to vary from brand to brand as far as the anti-drain back valve in the filters. I have read that most people like Motorcraft and Wix on these boards.
Personally, I am using Amsoil filter and oil, and no start-up noise.

Quick Reply: Ticking Noise on Cold Starts?