Lightning

The W word

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004 | 09:46 PM
|
The W word

all,

Well it's soon to be Sept. Since this is the first year with my L, I'm gonna need winter wheels/tires. don't try to talk me into a beater, as I just don't have the space for it.

What I need to know, is where can I buy pull-offs from an expy or something that I can mount some winter tires? Junkyards?, Tire stores? Ebay is out too, I'd like to look locally if I can.

So where did you guys find your wheels for winter?

TIA

Shaummy

Old 08-31-2004 | 09:55 PM
I got mine from a co-worker. What area are you from?

Suavy

Old 08-31-2004 | 09:56 PM
Went to a Big-O tire store and they had some Ford Explorer aluminum wheels someone traded in.

4 wheels, lug nuts, center caps
4 new Michelin cross terrain tires 235/75/16
plus they threw in a stock steel for a spare and mounted an old tire I had.

$600 out the door.
Will take a picture when I put them back on.
Looks pretty Lame. But it sure gets around better in the snow.

Old 08-31-2004 | 09:58 PM

I got mine from a hubcap place. I traded my stock spare rim for one that matches this. It was cheaper than just a matching stock spare rim. These are from a plain F150 16 inch rim. I got the tires used from a local tire store. They traded my stock spare that had never been on the ground even for one of them. I also put 3 70-lb. sandbags over the rear axle. I only put winter tires on the rear. I left the F1's on the front. Never had any trouble except once on a parking lot that was solid ice. Drive like you have an egg under the gas pedal.

P.S. I even beat 4-wheel drive guys to work in my "squirrely, hot-rod truck" (they're just jealous ).

Old 08-31-2004 | 11:34 PM
Toyo Proxes S/T that I normally run up front, moved to the back:

Traction control:

:santa:

Old 08-31-2004 | 11:37 PM
Hit some Ford and especially Lincoln dealers. They often put aftermarket wheels on the F-150s, Expys and Navigators and probably have sets of new take off wheels sitting in the parts dept. Worth a shot.

Old 09-01-2004 | 09:32 AM
Check the F150 classifieds, there are usually wheels and tires there. I run Toyo Proxes/st in winter on a set of 2000 lightning wheels. The plus is the Toyo's are all season rated. Just incase your on a snow emergency route. Artie!

Old 09-01-2004 | 09:24 PM
|
Thanks all...

I'm in the Chicago suburbs if someone had a set laying around not doing anything.

Great suggestions on the other places to check.

Old 09-01-2004 | 10:14 PM
Wow, I got mine from some guy who does take offs in the chicago area. This was on E-Bay. They were new f-150 235/16 chrome wheels with tires and hub caps. Look in E-bay and see if you see an Illinois or like Gary dealer selling tires. Got mine for $550 last fall, mounted balanced, etc.

Old 09-01-2004 | 10:21 PM
What's the Issue?

As stated in another thread, I'm considering a Lightning as a purchase, but it will be my only vehicle, I test drove one last night.

I've been reading this forum for awhile to help me make the decision.

I live in the Wash DC metro area which gets it's fair share of snow and ice. So I need to be prepared.

All my cars to date have been sedans with all weather tires. Is the bottom line that the F-1s that come with the Lightning not rated for all year use and I need a second set of tires/wheels? A second vehicle is not an option.

Thanks.

Rob Clark
Wash DC

Old 09-01-2004 | 10:50 PM
|
rotorheadbob,

For me, I have a 100mi. round trip commute every day. Using my L as my everyday car, and the unpredictible nature of weather around here, I'd hate to get caught 50 miles from home with marginal tires and try to limp home.

Not to mention the potential for getting outta control in a hurry on those F-1's. If you look at them even brand new, there aint much tread on them as they are performance tires.

I had dedicated winter tires on my Benz and had no trouble at all with winter conditions, but of course it did not have close to 400hp!

Unfortunately, the wheels I had for the Benz won't fit the L, so I gotta replace them with something.

Thanks again.

Old 09-01-2004 | 10:59 PM
Thanks!

Shaummy,

Thanks for the quick reply. Since I currently own a Lexus GS 400 which I'd sell for the truck, I wanted to know if the Lightning was even practical. I'll know to figure in a second set of wheels/tires in the decision.

Rob Clark
Wash DC

Old 09-01-2004 | 11:11 PM
step 1Take your spare tire handle to local used car lot
step 2 drop the spare tire of f150 victim #1
Step 3 repeat step 1-2 3 more times

Quick Reply: The W word