Lightning

Phenolic Spacer Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm

l menace nailed it on the head.

I was at JDM and saw first hand gators truck proving that the spacer worked, that's why I bought one. 8hp and 12ftlbs i belive it gained. At the time Bruce wasn't running anything too crazy. Just your basic bolt ons....filter, chip, 6lb lower i believe, stock blower (non ported), full exhaust.

I can tell you that i used to use ice and i don't anymore. My blower doesn't get any hotter than it did before the spacer......at least not to the touch.

My truck is more consistant with less cool down time. Before the spacer my plenum would be scalding hot to the touch after a run. Now it is just warm.

The extra space is though to make a straighter path for the air to enter the blower, which helps. Whether or not the power comes from the heat difference, or the intake path difference I don't know, but i saw the proof in the pudding and for a lousy 80 bucks can't hurt. Beats fouling coil pack with melting ice or even the condensation from the ice running all over your engine. I put mine in trash bags and still had problems.

Too each their own. I have a spacer and would recommend it.

Old 09-13-2004, 09:07 PM
Re: hmmm

Originally posted by tallimeca
lWhether or not the power comes from the heat difference, or the intake path difference I don't know, but i saw the proof in the pudding and for a lousy 80 bucks can't hurt. Beats fouling coil pack with melting ice or even the condensation from the ice running all over your engine. I put mine in trash bags and still had problems.
This is why vendors need to step up and test things instead of guessing. They could have used a heat conductive material to space the intake higher and achieve the better air flow. Test that. Then move on the phenolic material..

I still want to see dyno results similar to Gator's. With so many people buying these things it seem strange no one else has posted gains like his truck.

-Mark

Old 09-13-2004, 09:13 PM
dyno

paypal me 150 bucks and i'll go this weekend and do my truck.......hehe

J/k. This isn't exactly a mod that needs a before and after dyno, so that's why you don't see it. The specifically dyno Gators truck before and after to show him it worked. Jim had dynod and documented it worked well before Bruce's truck, that's why Jim was promoting it and everyoen was saying it's a useless mod.

I saw all that went on. There was no pulley changes, there was no tuning changes. They made the pulls before. Let it cool while swapping it in. When the temperatures he was monitoring were down to where they were on the before pulls, they made a pull with the spacer, and then made another one like a minute later.

As far as where the power comes from ........i'm sure Jim has a better idea, i was just saying that I personally don't know.

Old 09-13-2004, 09:21 PM
Like someone has said before, the results were posted on ONE truck. That's not proof.

Of course, it'd be ridiculous to ask someone to spend $150 bucks dynoing an already overpriced piece of phenolic. You can get an entire sheet of phenolic for a fraction of the cost of a spacer...and it is very easy to cut. I believe someone on this board made a handful that had cost no more than $20 including shipping.

But back to the point: ONE set of dyno pulls on ONE truck isn't enough to justify the claims of hp gains and such. I'd like to see at least two sets of pulls, one with the spacer, one without, on one truck....

Any vendor up for this?

Old 09-13-2004, 09:40 PM
guy

But back to the point: ONE set of dyno pulls on ONE truck isn't enough to justify the claims of hp gains and such. I'd like to see at least two sets of pulls, one with the spacer, one without, on one truck....
Guy, if you're so skeptical about it, then don't buy it, or better yet, make one yourself and save some money. I'm sure buying a sheet of material and cutting everything and drilling the holes so everything lines right up, plus finding all the new hardware and milling the spacers is gonna be well worth saving yourself 80 bucks right

Gator's truck isn't the only truck this was ever tested on. He just happened to post the results when he did his. This is like last years news..........let's move on here.

If numbers on one truck aren't good enough for you, keep asking till someone else has results, or just buy one and do a before and after yourself. Then we can dispute if there are gains or not. Next time your at the track........find a guy who has a spacer and one that doesn't. Go feel their plenums right after they run and report back here what you find. I already know the answer and so does everyone else that has already said it makes a difference. If you are expecting to gain 20hp on the dyno or a tenth in the quarter........this is the wrong mod for you. If you are looking to run more consistant and pick up a few ponies......what other mods give you these gains for 80 bucks????

Last edited by tallimeca; 09-13-2004 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:48 PM
Re: guy

If numbers on one truck aren't good enough for you, keep asking till someone else has results, or just buy one and do a before and after yourself. Then we can dispute if there are gains or not. Next time your at the track........find a guy who has a spacer and one that doesn't. Go feel their plenums right after they run and report back here what you find.
This is exactly what I am doing - asking other people. I have already bought and installed one and I haven't seen a dyno benefit from it. At the track, it is not so hot (people who say it is cool are dreaming).

JDM has come up a few times, but my question is vendor neutral.

-Mark

Old 09-13-2004, 09:51 PM
right

it is not so hot (people who say it is cool are dreaming).
Yes they are, it is still warm, but i wouldn't say it's hot by no means. Cool is dreaming.........you are right.

You mind posting your before and after dyno charts so we can see them???

Old 09-13-2004, 10:03 PM
Re: guy

Guy, if you're so skeptical about it, then don't buy it, or better yet, make one yourself and save some money. I'm sure buying a sheet of material and cutting everything and drilling the holes so everything lines right up, plus finding all the new hardware and milling the spacers is gonna be well worth saving yourself 80 bucks right

Gator's truck isn't the only truck this was ever tested on. He just happened to post the results when he did his. This is like last years news..........let's move on here.

If numbers on one truck aren't good enough for you, keep asking till someone else has results, or just buy one and do a before and after yourself. Then we can dispute if there are gains or not. Next time your at the track........find a guy who has a spacer and one that doesn't. Go feel their plenums right after they run and report back here what you find. I already know the answer and so does everyone else that has already said it makes a difference. If you are expecting to gain 20hp on the dyno or a tenth in the quarter........this is the wrong mod for you. If you are looking to run more consistant and pick up a few ponies......what other mods give you these gains for 80 bucks????
Sounds like you are just trying to justify a mod you spent $80 bucks on. How the plenum *feels* is not good enough for me, and it's not good enough to make a quantifiable claim on. I'm not arguing with you here, just asking for more results. I know Fast Gator has posted dynographs before, but I was looking for more support.

Oh, and the stuff about "straightening" the air going through is the biggest pile of BS I've ever read. Whoever started that nonsense just ruins their credibility. Leave that stuff for the eBay blinker fluid and muffler bearings shops.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:15 PM
Hmm.. I only paid $50 for mine.

Same thing with my cat back, it gave me ZERO performance improvement, however the exhaust does so better.

the Cervavni spoiler I just installed gives Zero performance improvement, but "finishes" the looks of the truck.

I can justify the purchase, I already did,
I liked and believed JDM's post.

BTW: I just upgraded my piston return springs and I know have quicker acceleration.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:53 PM
quote:

Oh, and the stuff about "straightening" the air going through is the biggest pile of BS I've ever read. Whoever started that nonsense just ruins their credibility

__________________________________________________ __

I find it interesting, that about everything CLAIMED about how or what the spacer does, I thought that "straightening" the air flow made the most sence to me!

Plus I have not checked any vendors prices for the spacer, but $80.00 seems very high to me. I bought mine at WFC from LFP for $35.00, no tax, no shipping, no plug intended!

Old 09-13-2004, 10:53 PM
jesus

Oh, and the stuff about "straightening" the air going through is the biggest pile of BS I've ever read. Whoever started that nonsense just ruins their credibility. Leave that stuff for the eBay blinker fluid and muffler bearings shops.
Is this guy ****ing serious. Comes on here for friggen two months and now he's the genious of the boards

I'm trying to justify a mod I spent 80 bucks on??? Wrong. I came, I saw, I bought.

Your problem is your looking for more out of this mod. Your waiting for something your not gonna hear. The mod is what it is. You saw the results. If you are so inquisitive, buy one and put it on your truck and see what happens. If not, shut the **** up and let it go. Like I said, this is old news. Use the search buttons and you'll see these same arguments that happened a year ago.

I'd still like to take a look at St Lou's dyno charts.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:56 PM
price

Plus I have not checked any vendors prices for the spacer, but $80.00 seems very high to me. I bought mine at WFC from LFP for $35.00, no tax, no shipping, no plug intended!
At the time I bought mine, JDM was the only one carrying them. All the other vendors said they didn't work.........however now they are selling them to their customers

I would have spent less money if I could have.......but what are you gonna do.

Old 09-13-2004, 11:10 PM
Re: jesus

Your problem is your looking for more out of this mod. Your waiting for something your not gonna hear. The mod is what it is. You saw the results.
You're grasping at straws now. I'm not waiting to hear something new about the mod. I'm not expecting anything more than what the claims were:

1) "Straightening the air"...

2) "Offering power gains and/or keeping back-to-back pulls/track runs more consistent by reducing heat "somewhere."

I did a search and so did St. Louis Lightning and we're both after more evidence because we're not entirely satisfied by the dyno results of two pulls by ONE truck. This isn't an attack towards Fast Gator or any particular vendor so don't get your panties in a wad.

Many people have asked to see dyno results on other mods so what makes you so touchy on this subject? LFP did mutliple dyno pulls on multiple vehicles when backing their claims on the new Brisk plugs. Naysayers wanted more info and more dynographs and I didn't see you getting so defensive then. So why now?

Old 09-14-2004, 02:06 AM
Spacer

Spacer on a K/B lost a couple of hp.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:22 AM
touchy

touchy because this is 2003 all over again. The arguments haven't changed. All it is doing is poluting the board.

Many people have asked to see dyno results on other mods so what makes you so touchy on this subject?
I'll ask again, can i see St. Lou's dyno charts please???

You folks need to understand that gains on this mod are minimal. Minimal enough that if you dyno'd in two different dynos or in two different weather conditions.........you may not see it, or you may see higher.

Gator's truck was dynod to see the results of this.....period. Good luck trying to find anyone else who would spend dyno cash to dyno suck a small mod. Just like when the air filter debate came out. Stock vs K&N, same thing. No one was paying dyno money for this. Couple guys did swap while on the dyno as some guys lost power, some guys gained power.

Good luck on your journey. I think you best answer would be to get one and do a before and after right at the dyno. Then you would know how it affects YOUR truck because if 10 guys posted with positive results........how do you know it's helping your truck.

How many guys picked up torque with the ported blowers????

Guess what? I lost 12ftlbs at peak with mine. Never expected that to happen. Glad I dynoed MY truck to see what it did. The other side of the coin is i did pick up torque below the curve which is just as important.

Dyno's aren't always about peak numbers. Gotta look at the who picture.

St. Lou......how bout them charts?

Quick Reply: Phenolic Spacer Revisited