Lightning

Phenolic Spacer Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don, here is a link to a track test I did before and after the spacer.

These times were set before I added a Built motor. Oh and for comparisons sake the track is at 5500 feet. DA most days is like 7k.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=121047

Old 09-14-2004, 12:19 PM
nice

The ET difference could be directly related to the 60ft difference for sake of argument, but your mph was up almost 1 mph on a day that was 1 degree warmer and a little more humid. Does that suggest that the air entering the blower may be a bit more dense because it's not going through a scalding hot plenum?? Maybe.

Old 09-14-2004, 12:21 PM
Re: jesus

Originally posted by tallimeca
Is this guy ****ing serious. Comes on here for friggen two months and now he's the genious of the boards
actually, he knew everything in less than two weeks.

him and his boy JimJr contribute alot to this board.

or something...

Old 09-14-2004, 12:39 PM
hahaha

or something...
hahahaha, you're killing me

Old 09-14-2004, 01:08 PM
Re: Re: jesus

Originally posted by superfords

or something...
Don't you have handouts to be asking for?

Old 09-14-2004, 01:23 PM
IMO any gains aren't measurable. Spacers in quantity cost $5 to make = great profit margin.

JDM also quotes 5-8hp from installing Metco idlers with "superior quality." Metco says that the bearings are the same as OEM. Can anyone explain this? Where are the facts or dyno results?

TB

Old 09-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by TrackBeast
IMO any gains aren't measurable. Spacers in quantity cost $5 to make = great profit margin.

JDM also quotes 5-8hp from installing Metco idlers with "superior quality." Metco says that the bearings are the same as OEM. Can anyone explain this? Where are the facts or dyno results?

TB
Exactly my point. These hp and "straightening air" claims were used to sell products. Therefore, they need to be documented as evidence. It's called business ethics...you can't just go spouting nonsense about something you're selling unless there's truth in it. I'm just asking for support, but apparently that's too much to ask?

Old 09-14-2004, 01:44 PM
Re: Re: Re: jesus

Originally posted by LightningGuy
Don't you have handouts to be asking for?
I just stated the truth. you came to this board and within about 12 days you knew everything there is to know, and had an opinion to give about everything because you'd read it in somebody elses post.

you give opinions on things you have no experience with simply to get attention.

I think you are great... keep up the good work.

Last edited by superfords; 09-14-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:52 PM
hahha

Exactly my point. These hp and "straightening air" claims were used to sell products. Therefore, they need to be documented as evidence. It's called business ethics...you can't just go spouting nonsense about something you're selling unless there's truth in it. I'm just asking for support, but apparently that's too much to ask?
Who are you to cry wolf??? How do you know that straightening the air flow as it hits the rotors of the blower doesn't make the output more effecient. How do you know they weren't actually tested. It is just your opinion that this information is nonsense because you have no proof otherwise. Seems to me all you know is what you read on the boards. You want support......call the vendors and ask them what they think and know. Don't ask other *** clowns on this board that are full of opinions and not facts. Opinions are like *** holes. Everyone has one. The facts are what count. Like I said, put the think on your damn truck and do a before and after and this will end all speculation and it's overwith. Why keep dragging it out.

As for the Metco idlers.....do they really use the same bearing as stock for ones??? If so, how come my stock idler pully bolts couldn't be used with them because they pushed right on the seal of the ball bearings??? I'm not saying they are or they aren't, i'm questionining if it's so. I have to use new hardware to mount them???

I would think of the bearing were the same, then the stock hardware would secrue the pulley right on the inner race.

Old 09-14-2004, 01:56 PM
tallimeca,

My graphs are meaningless to this debate because I didn't dyno with it on and off on the same day. I never claimed that..

I am asking a question based on my observation of a weekend of dyno tuning 20 vehicles. Trucks with 4lb, CAI, chip all made about the same. The guys with ported blowers made about the same increase. Everyone that had spacers made right around what the should have without them.

Everyone was doing back to back pulls between 10-15 minutes a part. No one lost the HP and Tq that Gator did between non-spacer runs.

So that is why I am asking this tired old question. I am in search of the truth based on extensive testing. If none exists, that is fine. I never argued the cost of the mod - I paid a little under $50 shipped.

-Mark

Old 09-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by TrackBeast

TB
I could take a stab at it but it would be smoke, mirriors, and BS

Hey, now lets not go too far here....I just installed 2 100mm Metcos and granted both bearings inside diameter are not a close tolerant fit...its larger than the factory boss and the pullies wiggles a bit .....but I think I can feel the 8hp right in the seat of the pants it was that or maybe it was the bass in the song I was listening to... but it felt much stronger...

I'll make my own phenolic spacer when I get around to porting the eaton.

Old 09-14-2004, 02:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If making the air straight made no difference, then jet engines that produce massive amounts of thrust, (75,000lbs or more) wouldn't have inlet guide vanes to make the air flow straighter into the first stage compressor, or stators to straighten the air entering the next stage of compressor or turbine. Air that tumbles, or air that is turbulent, slows down, and you lose efficiency. I am not saying this spacer makes the air flow straight, or smooth. I am just stating a fact that turbulent air is slower than smooth air.

Old 09-14-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Grimace
If making the air straight made no difference, then jet engines that produce massive amounts of thrust, (75,000lbs or more) wouldn't have inlet guide vanes to make the air flow straighter into the first stage compressor, or stators to straighten the air entering the next stage of compressor or turbine. Air that tumbles, or air that is turbulent, slows down, and you lose efficiency. I am not saying this spacer makes the air flow straight, or smooth. I am just stating a fact that turbulent air is slower than smooth air.
You have really hit the heart of the question. I can see the theory being solid. The question is can 1/2" spacer on a turn that is already 90 degrees help.

-Mark

Old 09-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not in my opinion as an airplane mechanic. The guide vanes/stators on a jet engine don't turn the air 90 degrees, they only straighten out turbulent air. I would have to dyno test this mod on 100 trucks to see if the 1 hp is actually there, or if it is just another fuel molecule aligner that clamps on the fuel rail.

Old 09-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Grimace
Not in my opinion as an airplane mechanic. The guide vanes/stators on a jet engine don't turn the air 90 degrees, they only straighten out turbulent air. I would have to dyno test this mod on 100 trucks to see if the 1 hp is actually there, or if it is just another fuel molecule aligner that clamps on the fuel rail.
As a computer jockey, I have no clue. That's why I ask people smarter than me Good input.

-Mark

Quick Reply: Phenolic Spacer Revisited