Lightning

Phenolic Spacer Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mark

My graphs are meaningless to this debate because I didn't dyno with it on and off on the same day. I never claimed that..
I would just be interested in looking at them, that's all

Old 09-14-2004, 03:09 PM
haha

You have really hit the heart of the question. I can see the theory being solid. The question is can 1/2" spacer on a turn that is already 90 degrees help.
Mine is 5/8 of an inch so maybe mines better

Old 09-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Re: mark

Originally posted by tallimeca
I would just be interested in looking at them, that's all
I haven't got them scanned yet, but I will send them to you when I do. 435/514 SAE with A/F's between 11.5-12.0 the whole time. Temp was 88 degrees.

-Mark

Old 09-14-2004, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by St Louis Lightning
A couple things.. I do own it as I said what I see at the track.

2nd, if you do a search, Gator's results are brought up as proof that it works in every thread. One truck does NOT mean proof. This is NOT a knock on Gator since we all know that some trucks react different to mods. Gator is making more boost for the mods he has than anyone I've ever heard about.

Hense this post and why I mentioned Gator specifically in the first one - I want to know who besides Gator has seen anything from the spacer on the dyno. Who has proven results from the track.

-Mark
Geeeee......

Wasn't going to even waste my time off posting here on this, but since my name keeps coming up again and again.

To answer a couple of your question

Why hasn't anyone done a test like myself?
First it cost me a days pay, and over a half day tying up a dyno.
I did it to provide a "controled test" for the Lightning Brotherhood and myself. Jim/JDM provided the dyno time to show it works and Iam sure to help sell the product. I recorded temps with a Ford scan tool and wrote them down, as not to forget. Watched each and every pull.
Think whatever you want of me, but rest assured I posted what happened! If there where NO GAINS or A LOSS......I would have posted the results.

Second
Your statment about MY TRUCK and BOOST is exacty that. More than you know of........So what does that make me or you?

Third
For someone that refuses to believe the data that I took the time and effort to provide. Here's a suggestion.......

Take your truck to a dyno
Make a pull with your truck without a spacer
then
Make a pull with your truck with a spacer

The effort you have used with all this bickering back and forth, would have had your truck dynoed and you would had the information about your truck.
But somehow, I think thats not the issue here

Last edited by Fast Gator; 09-14-2004 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Fast Gator
Geeeee......

The effort you have used with all this bickering back and forth, would have had your truck dynoed and you would had the information about your truck.
But somehow, I think thats not the issue here

Old 09-14-2004, 11:03 PM
wow

Good luck on your journey. I think you best answer would be to get one and do a before and after right at the dyno. Then you would know how it affects YOUR truck because if 10 guys posted with positive results........how do you know it's helping your truck.

Wow, i see some similarities

Old 09-15-2004, 12:13 AM

Wow, cranky in your old age I see.. Most of the bickering back in forth is by other people. Do you believe the results of a mod done on one truck? I don't think I said ANYTHING bad about you. Lets face it, you are making more boost than anyone with those mods. That makes your truck special and a bad candidate to do this type of testing on...

You are telling me JDM charged you all this dyno time to prove out their product? Or did you spent hundreds of dollars in dyno time money to prove out a $89 part? Something smells fishy.

-Mark

*edit* Rereading your post it sounds like the dyno time was free. If you reread all of my posts, I NEVER said your results were B.S. Everything I said was lets see what other trucks are doing. Why so defensive?

Last edited by St Louis Lightning; 09-15-2004 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:29 AM
I didn't read this entire thread, but I understand the basics behind it. I think there are TWO questions to be answered. One, is does the spacer increase HP from an airflow point of view, and two is does the spacer increase HP by the heat point of view. There is only one correct, true test. Dyno a truck at normal operating temperature. Record the data. Install an ALUMINUM spacer, run the truck to the same operating temperature and redyno it. Then remove the aluminum spacer and install the phelonic (or however you spell it) spacer of the same dimension, and redyno the truck again. Then remove the spacer and make a second no spacer baseline pull to verify the original power. All done in the same time period of course. If the first spacer run increases power, then that proves the airflow theory. If the second spacer run with the phelonic spacer pulls the same number, that DISproves the heat theory. If it increases, then that PROVES the heat theory. IMO, that's the only proper way to test it. If someone wants to send me an aluminum and phelonic spacer of the same size, I'd be happy to perform that test on the dyno.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:34 AM
I dont see where Mark was trying to offend anyone here. I think he asked a legitimate question. Has anyone besides Gator had the same results as him(that would be no dog to you Gator in my book, more of a compliment)

Mark had dyno experience with guys that had the mod vs guys that didnt and didnt see any big diffs between the two(Now all things being equal is a tough thing, I was at the Dyno and there was no time to pull one off and on. We all talked about it but there just wasnt time, because we overloaded the dyno event to make sure everyone that wanted to dyno got a chance to, it was alot of hard work to make it happen but we did make that happen.

I think he asked and easy enough question "Has anyone besides Gator had the results?"

I just dont see anything bad about the way he asked it, he tried to remove a High from the equation, maybe like Olympic Scoring? remove the high and the low and take the rest as averages.

But I have met Mark and if you guys met him too you feel the same as me. He is a true lightning enthusiast, and is one hell of a guy!!!

Old 09-15-2004, 12:45 AM
You know what, I was going to get a dyno of my (currently) bone stock L to get a baseline next week. Its a 2002. Who knows of a place that I can get a spacer cheap and I'll do one pull stock and one pull WITH the damn spacer?

Let me know.

Old 09-15-2004, 02:36 AM
Ran truck on dyno. Installed spacer. Ran truck again. Lost hp. Danny Swanson provided the dyno. Jim Bell provided the spacer.

Old 09-15-2004, 05:49 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by St Louis Lightning
Wow, cranky in your old age I see.. Most of the bickering back in forth is by other people. Do you believe the results of a mod done on one truck?

Cranky???

How about.....sick and tired of the same ole bull*****, just a different tune. It doesn't matter what is posted, somebody has to make remarks. And that just drives this forum futher down the tube, or haven't you noticed or cared?

I don't think I said ANYTHING bad about you.

You sure implied it, from my point of view. If you didn't..... Sorry But if you reread how you worded your statment, you can see how I took it that way.

Lets face it, you are making more boost than anyone with those mods. That makes your truck special and a bad candidate to do this type of testing on...

If you where so curious about my boost numbers. I can think of better ways to find the answers than making a blanket statment like you did

Originally posted by St Louis Lightning
You are telling me JDM charged you all this dyno time to prove out their product? Or did you spent hundreds of dollars in dyno time money to prove out a $89 part? Something smells fishy.

-Mark

*edit* Rereading your post it sounds like the dyno time was free. If you reread all of my posts, I NEVER said your results were B.S. Everything I said was lets see what other trucks are doing. Why so defensive? [/B]

The only thing that smells fishy is your motive, But,
You answered your own question....... But let me make it clearer.......

It cost me a days pay
It cost Jim a day of tying up his dyno and his time. Yes he was selling the item, but Iam sure he could have done other things instead of spending time staring at me and answering all my questions.

And yes the results are for MY truck and you note yourself that these trucks react differently to mods .......

Soooooooo..........my orginal question to YOU. If you are so interested in this spacer, why not spend a day dynoing YOUR truck and post results? Then after you post the results, have people "take shots" at your results and you'll have a better understanding of where Iam coming from

Btw.......
Iam doing some before and after dynos on my next mod, but I'll keep them to myself and let everybody else wonder if it gains or loses power

See you in the 11's

Old 09-15-2004, 08:02 AM
The only thing that smells fishy is your motive, But,
You answered your own question....... But let me make it clearer.......
I've gone out of my way to keep this vendor neutral, so what is my hidden motive here? Go ahead, read between the lines since I must have an axe to grind.

Deimatt hit is on the head, the question was VERY simple and made in a way to get some feedback from others.

As for your boost, what you are saying confuses me. You talk about your boost number ALL THE TIME. Someone will say "I'm seeing 17" and there you are with "well, I got 21" or whatever.. So what are you talking about?

So here I am asking others what they see. That is IT.. No hidden anything.

Now, either move on Gator or lets just shut this down because it is obvious it is going nowhere positive.

-Mark

Old 09-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by LightningTuner
I didn't read this entire thread, but I understand the basics behind it. I think there are TWO questions to be answered. One, is does the spacer increase HP from an airflow point of view, and two is does the spacer increase HP by the heat point of view. There is only one correct, true test. Dyno a truck at normal operating temperature. Record the data. Install an ALUMINUM spacer, run the truck to the same operating temperature and redyno it. Then remove the aluminum spacer and install the phelonic (or however you spell it) spacer of the same dimension, and redyno the truck again. Then remove the spacer and make a second no spacer baseline pull to verify the original power. All done in the same time period of course. If the first spacer run increases power, then that proves the airflow theory. If the second spacer run with the phelonic spacer pulls the same number, that DISproves the heat theory. If it increases, then that PROVES the heat theory. IMO, that's the only proper way to test it. If someone wants to send me an aluminum and phelonic spacer of the same size, I'd be happy to perform that test on the dyno.

LightningTuner:

What is your honest opinion/theory behind the phenolic spacers? Do you think it is capable of either claims? This isn't a bash towards you or your business or product, it's just that you, amongst the bickering, are the only vendor that has chimed in on this issue. The others seem to be avoiding it, even though it has been prominently displayed on the first page of this forum for more than a day now. Please enlighten us with your thoughts and expertise...

Old 09-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by LightningGuy
LightningTuner:

What is your honest opinion/theory behind the phenolic spacers? Do you think it is capable of either claims? This isn't a bash towards you or your business or product, it's just that you, amongst the bickering, are the only vendor that has chimed in on this issue. The others seem to be avoiding it, even though it has been prominently displayed on the first page of this forum for more than a day now. Please enlighten us with your thoughts and expertise...
Well, I have no bias since I don't sell them (that should tell you something). I DO think they may help from the airflow standpoint. I know for a fact that the engineers did make a few more HP with the taller prototype intake, but it wouldn't clear the hood. But I don't believe they help at all from a heat standpoint. The blower creates tons of heat (a byproduct of compressing air). I don't feel that making the upper plenum cooler really does much of anything. If it were an NA intake, then yes, because all you have is the air charge going through it. That's my feelings on it. I've seen a few trucks pick up 5 hp or so, but I've also seen trucks lose 5hp. So it's hard to say.

Quick Reply: Phenolic Spacer Revisited