Lightning

Phenolic Spacer Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by LightningTuner
I didn't read this entire thread, but I understand the basics behind it. I think there are TWO questions to be answered. One, is does the spacer increase HP from an airflow point of view, and two is does the spacer increase HP by the heat point of view. There is only one correct, true test. Dyno a truck at normal operating temperature. Record the data. Install an ALUMINUM spacer, run the truck to the same operating temperature and redyno it. Then remove the aluminum spacer and install the phelonic (or however you spell it) spacer of the same dimension, and redyno the truck again. Then remove the spacer and make a second no spacer baseline pull to verify the original power. All done in the same time period of course. If the first spacer run increases power, then that proves the airflow theory. If the second spacer run with the phelonic spacer pulls the same number, that DISproves the heat theory. If it increases, then that PROVES the heat theory. IMO, that's the only proper way to test it. If someone wants to send me an aluminum and phelonic spacer of the same size, I'd be happy to perform that test on the dyno.

We have an excellent opportunity to do a scientific test to properly determine the outcome of this mod. We have a pioneer in the Lightning community who has agreed to clear up the matter. No can anybody step up to the plate and forward him two spacers to clear up this burning issue.

TB (If I could make the aluminium one, I would do it myself)

Old 09-15-2004, 01:33 PM
If this causes the upper plenum to be cooler, then even with no HP increase, for $50 the anti-detonation characteristics alone would be worth it.

Old 09-15-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Blown347Hatch
If this causes the upper plenum to be cooler, then even with no HP increase, for $50 the anti-detonation characteristics alone would be worth it.
I think what Sal has said is the supercharger is still heating the air significantly. The air coming out the discharge on the supercharger can't be that much cooler with a spacer (if at all).

I just don't see the relationship to detonation in this case - care to explain?

-Mark

Old 09-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Well, if the plenum is say, 50 degrees cooler because of being insulated (burning your hand as opposed to not burning it), and the 50 degree number is an arbitrary one, then the air going into the blower would not be as hot because the air would not be as heated as it goes through, then the blower's additional compounded heating effect added in, the sum total of heat on the discharge temps would be (somewhat) cooler.

Unless you believe that blower discharge temps are the same regardless of outside temperatures?

Same effect on carburated cars. You put a phenolic heat spacer under the carb for cooler intake charge.

Same reason Edelbrock makes their air-gap intakes with an air gap between the plenum/runners.

Old 09-15-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Blown347Hatch
Well, if the plenum is say, 50 degrees cooler because of being insulated (burning your hand as opposed to not burning it), and the 50 degree number is an arbitrary one, then the air going into the blower would not be as hot because the air would not be as heated as it goes through, then the blower's additional compounded heating effect added in, the sum total of heat on the discharge temps would be (somewhat) cooler.
I guess this all goes back to testing. If the discharge temp on the supercharger is 1 degree different with the spacer, does that do anything for HP or anti-detonation? If it is 5 degrees does that help? Just asking questions here, I have no idea.

We see a huge difference in discharge temps with a good ported eaton vs stock. This could be part of any thorough test to watch discharge temps with a spacer on/off.

-Mark

Old 09-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by St Louis Lightning
So here I am asking others what they see. That is IT.. No hidden anything.

Now, either move on Gator or lets just shut this down because it is obvious it is going nowhere positive.

-Mark
So are you saying I can't post on this board

BTW.....
Iam sending you a message thru this forum so we can clear up a "few" things

Sal

If you like, I'll be willing to drive to your shop and present my truck with spacer to you do do some testing, with and without. Sorry, don't have an aluminum spacer, but probably could make one up out of stainless

Old 09-15-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Fast Gator
So are you saying I can't post on this board

BTW.....
Iam sending you a message thru this forum so we can clear up a "few" things
Gator,

I don't think I have ever crossed you in the past and I have NO axe to grind with you. I'm telling you honestly that I did not start this thread to take anything away from the testing you did.

The reason I said anyone but your results is because during my searches, your results came up everytime as proof this works. I am sure if I asked the question without mentioning you, either yourself or someone else would have linked your original thread. I was looking for results from other trucks to either validate your results or provide alternate results.

-Mark

Old 09-15-2004, 10:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Fast Gator
How about.....sick and tired of the same ole bull*****, just a different tune. It doesn't matter what is posted, somebody has to make remarks. And that just drives this forum futher down the tube, or haven't you noticed or cared?
I'm pretty much done with all of the BS also. First, the idiots who don't know how to use a search button ask the same f*cking questions over and over. But say anything about it, and you are the bad guy.

Call BS on someone or otherwise challenge their reasoning, and they boohoohoo. Then a combination of "me too" potshots and "you *sshole" posts ensues.

I am convinced more and more each day that the average Lightning owner's IQ is about room temperature -- measured in Celcius.

The only thing that has kept me here as long as I have is the few people who actually understand the scientific method -- or at least can spell it (in this case, Sal). But those bright shining stars of sanity are being drown out by the droning of the moronic masses.

What this board needs is a good old fashioned enema, purging the stupid and tasteless. Rude I can take, but the ignorance is becoming more than I can handle. But that won't happen. We are all too concerned about not hurting anyone's feelings (fewer subscribers means fewer ad hits, which means less SV $).

So let's all just kick back and enjoy the glow of brotherhood. No reason to let little things like truthfulness, intellectual honesty, reason -- or candor -- get in the way of a lovefest.

Old 09-15-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
I'm pretty much done with all of the BS also. First, the idiots who don't know how to use a search button ask the same f*cking questions over and over. But say anything about it, and you are the bad guy.

Call BS on someone or otherwise challenge their reasoning, and they boohoohoo. Then a combination of "me too" potshots and "you *sshole" posts ensues.

I am convinced more and more each day that the average Lightning owner's IQ is about room temperature -- measured in Celcius.

The only thing that has kept me here as long as I have is the few people who actually understand the scientific method -- or at least can spell it (in this case, Sal). But those bright shining stars of sanity are being drown out by the droning of the moronic masses.

What this board needs is a good old fashioned enema, purging the stupid and tasteless. Rude I can take, but the ignorance is becoming more than I can handle. But that won't happen. We are all too concerned about not hurting anyone's feelings (fewer subscribers means fewer ad hits, which means less SV $).

So let's all just kick back and enjoy the glow of brotherhood. No reason to let little things like truthfulness, intellectual honesty, reason -- or candor -- get in the way of a lovefest.

what the h3ll do you know about lightnings anyways? You are only a lawyer.

(you should know I'm kidding)

Old 09-16-2004, 12:49 AM
Woo Hoo Tim's hot tonight

I guess its my turn to jump into this crap session.

Way back in the day...not long after I bought my '00 I started doing some tinkering.

I spent about 500.00 at the flow bench and tested a 1/4 inch spacer, a 5/8 inch spacer, a stock upper manifold, a ported upper manifold, a stock blower case (with internals removed) a ported blower case ( with internals removed) and a stock upper manifold that was cut, reshaped, ported, welded and basically rethougt completely.

Since we are talking about spacers here. I will say the the 5/8 spacer by itself was worth 30 cfm air flow and it didn't matter witch case it was on or witch manifold it was tested with. My thoughts when I built it was that it would add volume to the turn witch incidentaly is 180 degrees not 90. This was dragged back and forth thru the mud probably 2 1/2 to 3 years ago.
Who in the hell do you think JDM copied anyway ??
Dale

Old 09-16-2004, 01:23 AM
Bad as L, I would be interested in reading some of your studdies on the whole issue if you would be willing to let me read it?

Suavy

Old 09-16-2004, 07:22 AM
You guys might call this a crap session, but I've attempted to keep this thread on course. Someone will come in and take pot shots in any thread, so just skip those posts and find the ones where people are trying. Gator thought I was calling BS on his results, but that was not my intention and we've worked through that.

So back on topic, could anyone make an aluminum spacer to send Sal for testing?

-Mark

Old 09-16-2004, 07:52 AM
You guys might call this a crap session, but I've attempted to keep this thread on course. Someone will come in and take pot shots in any thread, so just skip those posts and find the ones where people are trying. Gator thought I was calling BS on his results, but that was not my intention and we've worked through that.

-Mark
Can you give me the dimensions?? I know a machinist,my company uses, who could make it very easily. I'm interested in purchasing a spacer too and would like to see a nice test and I am willing to invest a little time to help the cause.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by bglanden
Can you give me the dimensions?? I know a machinist,my company uses, who could make it very easily. I'm interested in purchasing a spacer too and would like to see a nice test and I am willing to invest a little time to help the cause.
Well, it is not like a rectangle inside a rectangle, so it's not that easy. I could take mine off and trace it to some heavy paper? Would that work?

-Mark

Old 09-16-2004, 10:56 AM

-Mark [/B]
This may be a silly idea but I will stick my neck out. To make things easier, how about covering a regular spacer with aluminium foil, just for the purpose of the test. It will conduct heat (like an all aluminium one) and provide the desired space for the test.

Please be constructive not destructive in the hope of getting to the bottom of this issue.

TB

Quick Reply: Phenolic Spacer Revisited