Lightning

Phenolic Spacer Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I track tested my spacer. At the same night/track/motor/truck I ran both with and without the spacer and it yielded NO benefit. Tried hot lapping and cool downs etc. Not very scientific, just my real world experience at the track.
The intake definitely is not cool to the touch. Not by my definition anyways.

Old 09-18-2004, 03:23 PM
Phenolic Spacer Results

Just got back from the dyno. Mark "St Louis Lightning" ran a controlled test on phenolic spacer vs no spacer. I'm sure he'll post the results as soon as he gets home. Some may be a little surprised with the results.

Old 09-18-2004, 03:58 PM
Re: Phenolic Spacer Results

Originally posted by Stl01SVT
Just got back from the dyno. Mark "St Louis Lightning" ran a controlled test on phenolic spacer vs no spacer. I'm sure he'll post the results as soon as he gets home. Some may be a little surprised with the results.
The results were done on "Maxpower's" truck so I'll let him post his graphs if he wants. We all seen it though, no difference we could attribute to the spacer. I just pulled up the graphs in WinPEP and it shows a gain of 2 HP/1 TQ. The dynojet measured temp on the first run was 78 and the last run 80 - so that wasn't a factor. Cool down times were very similar before runs.

-Mark

Old 09-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Re: Re: Phenolic Spacer Results

Originally posted by St Louis Lightning
Cool down times were very similar before runs.

-Mark

So? What were your results for a hot motor? That was the selling point for me on the spacer. Did you make two runs, back to back, with and without the spacer? A cold run and a hot run. I'd like to know what the results of the 2nd and 4th pull are, if you did them, as this is where the biggest increase in power was on Gator's truck. Six runs would have been better, with the 3rd and 6th runs being controls for the 2nd and 4th runs. The only place people cool their truck off before operation is at the track and at the dyno. How do you run a cool, truck then add a part that says it improves air temps by keeping the plenum cooler, then run it again cold?

Old 09-18-2004, 05:12 PM
Re: Re: Re: Phenolic Spacer Results

Originally posted by Odin's Wrath
So? What were your results for a hot motor? That was the selling point for me on the spacer. Did you make two runs, back to back, with and without the spacer? A cold run and a hot run. I'd like to know what the results of the 2nd and 4th pull are, if you did them, as this is where the biggest increase in power was on Gator's truck. Six runs would have been better, with the 3rd and 6th runs being controls for the 2nd and 4th runs. The only place people cool their truck off before operation is at the track and at the dyno. How do you run a cool, truck then add a part that says it improves air temps by keeping the plenum cooler, then run it again cold?
I am not offering these numbers as proof of anything. We were there testing another part. There was 7 total runs done, but we did not concentrate on the spacer. I am reporting the two runs that did not involve any other variables where the difference was spacer on or not on. The tune was not adjusted between spacer runs.

As for cool down time - just the time to remove the plenum and reinstall. No such thing as testing on a complete hot truck because there is always removal time.

-Mark

Old 09-18-2004, 05:22 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Phenolic Spacer Results

I am not offering these numbers as proof of anything.

-Mark

Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 09-18-2004, 05:22 PM
And just to add, everyone has a different idea of what warm, cool, cold, cool down, etc means.

By no means did we test on a cold truck. At most, we had 30 minutes in between any run. As you know, the supercharger is still very warm after 30 minutes in 70 degree weather like we had. The plenum was a little cooler after the spacer run on the hand test.

-Mark

Old 09-18-2004, 05:25 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Phenolic Spacer Results

Thanks for clearing that up.
If you noticed, I didn't say "Well, this clears it up" or "Proof it doesn't work".. I just stated what we saw. There were five of us standing around all seeing the same thing. Same thing we saw at the dyno day last weekend. Everyone can draw their own conclusion.

-Mark

Old 09-18-2004, 05:26 PM
And just to add, everyone has a different idea of what warm, cool, cold, cool down, etc means.

-Mark

That's why it's necessary to throw the first pull out and then make two more. By the third pull, the heat variables are more limited.

Old 09-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Lets face it, no one here does these tests to the level needed for "proof". The dynos are not environmentally controlled and we all test on different dynos.

So instead, most of us react to what we see the majority of people report. That is why I started this thread. What are other people seeing, because I don't see it. Maxpower's truck was not at the dyno day last weekend, and we took the opportunity to do a quick test to see his results.

-Mark

Old 09-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Lets face it, no one here does these tests to the level needed for "proof". The dynos are not environmentally controlled and we all test on different dynos.

-Mark

There's only one truck here that has been tested the way it should have been done. That would be Gator's. I think Bruce is a pretty decent guy, for an old fart; and, I trust him to be honest about it. Sal has said he would do a test as well. I would trust him to do it correctly as well; so, that would be 2 tests done in a manner that is meaningful. I'd like to see what he comes up with. Any other results, that were not derived from a direct and correctly performed test of the item in question, are worthless.

Old 09-18-2004, 06:01 PM
There's only one truck here that has been tested the way it should have been done. That would be Gator's. I think Bruce is a pretty decent guy, for an old fart; and, I trust him to be honest about it. Sal has said he would do a test as well. I would trust him to do it correctly as well; so, that would be 2 tests done in a manner that is meaningful. I'd like to see what he comes up with. Any other results, that were not derived from a direct and correctly performed test of the item in question, are worthless.
So many people on this thread MISS THE POINT. Testing on one truck is not proof. I never questioned Gator's honesty, but that is one truck being dynoed.

Very few times in life is a decision made based on 100% bullet proof facts. I can only make a judgement call based on what is reported to me and what I see with my own eyes. Based mostly on Gator's testing, I bought a spacer and so did many other people. We ran out and put them on our trucks and... well.. noticed nothing.

So maybe it's not a mod we are supposed to be able to notice/feel.. and maybe it's not a mod that's worth the money..

Hense my journey for other people's exerience with their spacer.

-Mark

Old 09-18-2004, 06:44 PM
So many people on this thread MISS THE POINT.

-Mark

If there is a point to this, you need to get to it. You are not going to feel an extra 5-10 hp or ft/lbs. of torque. It's not going to make much difference at the track by itself either. It is a baby step in the right direction though. For a daily driver at normal operating temps, based only on the limited structured results we have gotten so far, the results seem to be better.

That's a 13 hp and 22 ft/lbs. of torque improvement on his hot runs. Half of that would be a good return for less than $100.00. I don't see that you have a point so far. From your posts, you seem to be hinting that it's a worthless mod. You just don't have any good testing to back that up. When you started posting dyno results, that mean absolutely nothing, as though they had some relevance, I thought someone should point out the flaw. Nothing personal, it's just that bad information affects us all and confuses those that are trying to learn about their trucks, and how to make them faster. This mod isn't going to appeal to everybody. I still think it's worth the price. If you carve one out yourself, and save money, that's even better.

Old 09-18-2004, 06:46 PM
So many people on this thread MISS THE POINT. Testing on one truck is not proof. I never questioned Gator's honesty, but that is one truck being dynoed.

Very few times in life is a decision made based on 100% bullet proof facts. I can only make a judgement call based on what is reported to me and what I see with my own eyes. Based mostly on Gator's testing, I bought a spacer and so did many other people. We ran out and put them on our trucks and... well.. noticed nothing.

So maybe it's not a mod we are supposed to be able to notice/feel.. and maybe it's not a mod that's worth the money..

Hense my journey for other people's exerience with their spacer.

-Mark
St Louis, I guess what happens from time to time is like in Gators case he has taken the time and money to prove out some thing we all are interested in. He feels that he was helping his lightning family out which he was. He got a little defensive cuz maybe he felt people didn't appreciate his efforts.

In the same tense I could read that all you and a few others were doing was trying to do some investigative research. Further, I didn't read any slams by you or some of the others on this post.

I feel like Gator some times cuz I try to offer help and insight cuz I happen to work for Ford and manage the 4.6L engine line.

I too lately have posted less and have not responded to I need help or I have this problem posts cuz in most cases lately it's not worth the debate.

Peace, Suavy

Old 09-18-2004, 07:49 PM
If there is a point to this, you need to get to it.
Very Simple - 1 Question for you Odin.

Do you believe that testing from one truck is enough proof to base a purchase on?

-Mark

Quick Reply: Phenolic Spacer Revisited