Lightning

Phenolic Spacer Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phenolic Spacer Revisited

This weekend Sal came to Kansas City to tune about 20 trucks. We had a lot of Gen 2's with similar mods. There numbers on the trucks with phenolic spacers were not higher than the trucks without. Most guys went through 4-6 pulls that were very close together and no great cooling benefit was seen on the trucks with spacers.

So besides Fast Gator, who has seen anything on the dyno that shows this mod is worth it?

On the street/track, who has seen anything that this mod is worth it? I know from my experience that the intake cools quicker between track runs, but what does that matter on a run with a good cool down period?

This question is vendor neutral - many of them sell these now. Lets try to stick to the item, not who sells it. Thanks.

-Mark

Old 09-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Prior to Phenolic install the intake and throttle body would be so hot I couldn't touch it.

AFTER the phenolic spacer install I can rest my hand on the intake or throttle body for as long as I want, immediately after stoping the truck.

DOes it make a difference? well the Air isn't subjected to the as MUCH HOT surface area, thus it is cooler.

SO besides Gator's DYNO PROVEN RESULTS, what are you looking for?

It has better throttle response, the air flow is now straighter, rather than a 90 degree turn,

It works, buy it,
You can get it for under $50 if you know who to talk to, but since you didn't want purchase sources, I'll let you find it.

Old 09-13-2004, 12:15 AM
L-Menace. The original hardass.

Old 09-13-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by l-menace

It has better throttle response, the air flow is now straighter, rather than a 90 degree turn,

It works, buy it,
Makes the air "straighter?" Please explain.

Also, could someone post the dynosheets where gains were seen? I can believe that the spacer makes adds more consistency and reduces heat soak, but I just can't see it literally increasing horsepower. It might make back-to-back dyno pulls closer though.

Last edited by LightningGuy; 09-13-2004 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:51 AM

You can get it for under $50 if you know who to talk to, but since you didn't want purchase sources, I'll let you find it.

Umm. does this "WHO" have a deal on pulleys also.

I think it would have to help if you are over spinning the blower and that is what I am planning on doing...

Old 09-13-2004, 06:42 AM

It works, buy it,
A couple things.. I do own it as I said what I see at the track.

2nd, if you do a search, Gator's results are brought up as proof that it works in every thread. One truck does NOT mean proof. This is NOT a knock on Gator since we all know that some trucks react different to mods. Gator is making more boost for the mods he has than anyone I've ever heard about.

Hense this post and why I mentioned Gator specifically in the first one - I want to know who besides Gator has seen anything from the spacer on the dyno. Who has proven results from the track.

-Mark

Last edited by St Louis Lightning; 09-13-2004 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:56 AM
How can anyone say the spacer (or anything else that only makes a few H/P) make H/P and they saw it on the dyno? I've been to the dyno three times. All three times the L made five to six more H/P on the second pull than on the first. I thought it would have been better power on the first pull (I don't have a spacer). All of these pulls were after driving to the dyno with no cool down time. So if I had installed a spacer after the first pull I would have seen the 5 to 6 extra H/P and thought it was the spacer that did it.

Jerry

Old 09-13-2004, 10:38 AM
Consider how fast the air moves from the throttle body, through the upper plenum into the blower. It takes maybe .0001 second for a given air mass to move that distance...hardly enough time for a hot or cold plenum to make a temp difference. The spacer may work, but I don't think it has anything to do with cooler temps.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by rscoleman
Consider how fast the air moves from the throttle body, through the upper plenum into the blower. It takes maybe .0001 second for a given air mass to move that distance...hardly enough time for a hot or cold plenum to make a temp difference. The spacer may work, but I don't think it has anything to do with cooler temps.
My thoughts exactly.

-Mark

Old 09-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by ShadowBolt
I've been to the dyno three times. All three times the L made five to six more H/P on the second pull than on the first. I thought it would have been better power on the first pull (I don't have a spacer). All of these pulls were after driving to the dyno with no cool down time. So if I had installed a spacer after the first pull I would have seen the 5 to 6 extra H/P and thought it was the spacer that did it.

Jerry
thats freaky, mine loses 12+hp from first to second pulls, also no spacer and all three times on dyno

Old 09-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by rscoleman

hmmmmmm, that logic blows the intercooler theory..... the air dose move from intake to tail pipe quicker than a cat can lick its ankles but surrounding heat dose affect density. A colder manifold will give a very slight improvement in air density, as the air will not heat up quite so much when flowing through the manifold. The actual improvement will be very dependant on a few variables and granted the temperature difference from just the spacer is probably very very slight but every little bit can not hurt. Lowering paracitc losses ....from reducing heat absorption is a goal. ...... now tell those guys to get the ice bags off the engine

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...henolic+spacer

Last edited by RED 92; 09-30-2004 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by JimJr
L-Menace. The original hardass.

i read nothing "hard" in his reply.......

I always thought his replys were kinda soft ...like one of those sensitive liberal lawyers... j/k ya menace...

Old 09-13-2004, 11:23 AM
OK I didn't mean to be a *****, (at least this time)

I did notice between throttle response.
was it because of the phenolic spacer or because I somehow magically tightened the throttle cables on the reinstall? I don't know.

ALso,
My intake is cool to the touch!
Is that good thing or a bad thing?
I don't know, the intake is cooler, does that mean the "HEAT" is traped in the s/c and can't be "transfered" to the intake the way Ford designed it? I don't know.

However, the s/c is now ported and I the discharge temperture when it was measeured 2 weeks ago was under 120 degrees on a 90 degree day.

Something is working to my advantage, beit the porting or phenolic spacer or both.

Lastly,
JDM had a good thread about the phenolic spacer straightening out the flow of the air, Now I don't believe everything tuners say, but I read it and it made sense and logic to be.

Old 09-13-2004, 11:28 AM

Lastly,
JDM had a good thread about the phenolic spacer straightening out the flow of the air, Now I don't believe everything tuners say, but I read it and it made sense and logic to be.

Do you have a Tornado on your truck as well?

Old 09-13-2004, 11:39 AM
ALso,
My intake is cool to the touch!
Is that good thing or a bad thing?
I don't know, the intake is cooler, does that mean the "HEAT" is traped in the s/c and can't be "transfered"
no cool to the touch is a good thing....no heat is trapped...

Quick Reply: Phenolic Spacer Revisited