Lightning

Tow ball / Hitch question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tow ball / Hitch question...

I know the Hitch has a 5000lb capacity. But can we put a ball in that hole (no pun intended ) that's behind the license plate?

Was that made for a trailer ball?

If so, how much is the towing capacity on that, and is there any reason to use the hitch instead of that?

I ask because I have my hitch taken off (for looks) and it's just sitting around taking up space. I will use it some time I'm sure, but if it's not needed and I can use the ball instead, then why keep it?

-dennis

Old 09-20-2004, 07:37 PM
Technically probably yes but just be aware of the tounge weight. The bumper will bend or sag if used to much. Also be aware that if you take sharp turns or back the trailor at a sharp angle the tounge my cut into the bumper whereas if you use the hitch and reciever it is further behind the truck and not as likely to hit the bumper.

Last edited by VTSVT; 09-20-2004 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:21 PM
Yea what he said ^ I towed alot till I got a hitch for my truck and it is really easy to back up untill you need to repaint the bumper that ball sits pretty deep in the bumper so the turning angle is pretty nill....

Just put the hitch back on and get a hitch cover that says lightning on it.... that is what I done

Old 09-20-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by VTSVT
Technically probably yes but just be aware of the tounge weight. The bumper will bend or sag if used to much. Also be aware that if you take sharp turns or back the trailor at a sharp angle the tounge my cut into the bumper whereas if you use the hitch and reciever it is further behind the truck and not as likely to hit the bumper.
What he ^ said. Sagging not a problem (in my experience) as my 93 F-150 pulled 5000 pounds on the bumper hitch many times (race car on trailer), but you WILL damage your bumper on sharp turns (I did on my 93 F-150). The receiver hitch as stated above will locate the trailer further away preventing the miniature jacknife type interference that messes up the bumper.

Old 09-21-2004, 01:21 AM
Right on guys, thanks for the advice! I'll be keeping the hitch around just incase! I never really thought about the paint and jack-knife issues!

-dennis

Quick Reply: Tow ball / Hitch question...