Lightning

Getting chipped...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004 | 09:08 AM
|
Getting chipped...

I am getting my L chipped to accomodate a pulley, intake, and exhaust. Is there anything i should sepcify to the tuner in the chip program itself?

So far i have read that increasing the line pressure and turning off torque reduction are both bad, but are there other major no-nos?

I trust my tuner. (he will even honor the warranty) but im not sure if he is necessarily a lightning guru.

Old 09-21-2004 | 09:18 AM
Re: Getting chipped...

I trust my tuner. (he will even honor the warranty) but im not sure if he is necessarily a lightning guru.
I would get a "Lightning Guru" to tune your chip.

Try PSP, JDM, or JLP.

Old 09-21-2004 | 09:36 AM
|
I was actually considering JDM as they are not too far away, but apparently are not doing any tuning until sometime in october. With my prior dyno showing a real lean a/f i kinda want a tune sooner than later.

mix this in with the fact that my tuner here says he will honor the warranty (apparantly ggmp is easy to work with for them) makes it a tough decsion given he's 5 min away if i have a problem.

Old 09-21-2004 | 11:41 AM
These trucks are real tricky to tune. Search around and you will find horror stories about people getting tunes from people that were not "lightning guru's".
If you are close to JDM and they can not take you then that means you are probably less than 2 hours drive from JLP (south) or PSP (north). Well worth the drive. I drove roundtrip almost 10 hours to JLP for my first dyno tune and it was well worth the trip. Now PSP opened a shop about 30-45 minutes from my house with a Dyno so I am pretty lucky to have him so close.

If he is tuning it on the dyno I would not let him mess around with line pressure and all that. Maybe just let him tune to get the A/F right and keep the timing conservative. ( your best bet is to have a supporting vendor do the tune, all they work on is Lightnings)

Quick Reply: Getting chipped...