Lightning

Pulled off a supercharger yesterday.......... I guess all trucks look like this

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Txoutlaw
I'm thinking heat may have something to do with how fast the teflon flakes off of the rotors. When I bought my 03 the intercooler wasn't working I just didn't know it.

I don't recall how many miles I ran without an intercooler but it was a while and I did WOT blast constantly as well as raced at the track as much as I could. You can imagine what kind of heat was being generated without an intercooler here in South TX. It's just a theory I have.

What was wrong with the intercooler and how did you notice it?

TB

Old 10-05-2004, 11:43 PM
I have a question. Do you have to remove the intercooler from the intake manifold to clean it or can it be done with it still bolted to the intake manifold? From the pictures, it looks like I can just clean the intercooler without removing it. Is there any need to remove it from the intake?

I want to do this to mine and I was browsing through the Ford service cd and it recommends to replace the bolts for the intercooler to intake but not any of the others. Just figured I wouldn't mess with them if I didn't have to.

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2004, 01:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TrackBeast
What was wrong with the intercooler and how did you notice it?

TB
I'm with TB. Should we all go out and look in the intercooler res to see if fluid circulates with the truck running?

Old 10-06-2004, 07:55 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Hey TrackBeast and Grimace,
Here is a post I made after the intercooler problem was repaired. I summarize the fiasco from beginning to end. Man I was on here crying like a baby when I was having problems but these guys came through and took care of me. Hope this was what you were looking for.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=121624

Old 10-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Good read Outlaw, thanks. I am definately experiencing a couple of your symptoms. One is "bogging" a little down low. I am going to make sure the intercooler is pumping fluid. Is there a safety switch to only let it come on when the truck is running, or only after it has warmed up?

Old 10-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally posted by Grimace
Good read Outlaw, thanks. I am definately experiencing a couple of your symptoms. One is "bogging" a little down low. I am going to make sure the intercooler is pumping fluid. Is there a safety switch to only let it come on when the truck is running, or only after it has warmed up?
Are you modded? Have you checked the reservoir to make sure there is bubbling? If you have bubbling in the coolant reservoir then the pump is working. If it's real cold out it may take a while for the pump to come on. Here is a thread where Sal gives us the skinny on what acitvates the IC pump.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ht=Intercooler

If the IC pump is working I would suggest that you do a search for "Bogging Down", I bet you will find lots of threads discussing this issue. I hope you get it figured out.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the info and I am not modded to the gills yet

Old 10-07-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by RED 92
it wont help....it will slow oil down

http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread...threadid=79975
It never slowed my oil down.... I never had a problem with my Oil Separator. It does its job and my truck is better for it. Don't believe everything you hear.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by powerstroker
It never slowed my oil down.... I never had a problem with my Oil Separator. It does its job and my truck is better for it. Don't believe everything you hear.
I dont believe everything I hear, I experienced with two trucks the separator catching oil but not 100%...hence it slows it down.

I believe you have never had a problem with your separator dose that mean you have had your intercooler out and found no oil......

Last edited by RED 92; 10-07-2004 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by RED 92
I dont believe everything I hear, I experienced with two trucks the separator catching oil but not 100%...hence it slows it down.

I believe you have never had a problem with your separator dose that mean you have had your intercooler out and found no oil......
The vendors never state that the Oil Separator will catch ALL the oil. Of course some oil will seep through. My statement was that I've had the Separator on my truck for about 20,000 miles and have not encountered any problems with my oil or performance loss out of my truck. Which will happen when oil slows down.

I have since taken off my intercooler and see oil. I expect to see oil. But doing a before and after analysis, I notice about 65%-75% less oil than before. But I also empty my Oil separator every oil change.

Quick Reply: Pulled off a supercharger yesterday.......... I guess all trucks look like this