Lightning

Pulled off a supercharger yesterday.......... I guess all trucks look like this

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulled off a supercharger yesterday.......... I guess all trucks look like this

I meet up with Todd at the dyno yesterday where he was doing some testing on his intercooler chiller..... there were a few problems that we decided might be because of oil in the intake so I offered to take his supercharger off to clean it and the intercooler. His truck is an 03 with 29K with exhaust and CAI and a recently installed chiller. no extra boost....

well his rotors were completely flaked off and the flakes where piled on the intercooler along with alot of oil from the PCV and water from the condensation off the intercooler caused by the chiller..........

Todd, how did your truck run on the way home ??.....the cleaning got rid of the miss ??

Old 10-03-2004, 08:22 PM
GOOD LORD, man thats nasty.

My 02 only has 21k but is no where near that . I just did mine 3 weeks ago when I did the Apten thing, although I was half expecting it to, the rotors were'nt flaking at all, it did look like something got sucked through and put small gough's in a couple spots of the rotor edges, oil was'nt even 1/2 of that but could'nt belive how much oil came out of the intercooler. looked like molases.

Old 10-03-2004, 08:23 PM
I pulled my supercharger off at 15,000 miles. I had very little rotor flaking. But, a decent amount of oil on the intercooler.

Old 10-03-2004, 08:35 PM
dayum, mine didn't look that bad...

I"m guessing a case of brake cleaner to get it the way you want.

Old 10-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No extra boost? None? DAMN IT!!! I am really not looking forward to pulling mine. I have had a single oil seperator installed for about 10,000 miles. But the truck has 22,000 miles on it now. I guess I need a case of brake cleaner.

Old 10-03-2004, 08:47 PM
Superclean degreaser works a lot better than brake cleaner.

Old 10-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Casey02L
I went and got carb cleaner, the brake cleaner did'nt do well IMO

Old 10-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Casey02L
i used the same

Old 10-03-2004, 10:20 PM
Just a little warning on Superclean and Greased Lightning...

They are not good for aluminum - be sure you rinse the intercooler well and DO NOT soak aluminum parts in this stuff. I learned that on the hard way and destroyed a carb.

Also seems to work well as a fingerprint remover - from your fingers, not other surfaces and it will totally make your hands look like a leper after continuous use.

Otherwise, great stuff.

Herb

Old 10-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

That looks sharp Clay!! You got a lot done from when I seen it yesterday. I can't wait to see it when it's complete. What do you plan on using for the duct? I'm also curious to see what your gains are from the Apten port.

I really look forward to hitting the track too. I will give you a shout the first Friday I see open. Maybe we could get Greg, Alan and a few other of the San Antonio L's together and make a night of it.....I guess Steele will just have to watch until he gets off of his a$$ and gets his beast up and running.....I know I know, your Rick James Biatch

For some reason the miss in my truck is back tonight. I just ran to the store a while ago and it was missing a little. I hit the highway and took it up to about 70 and kept it there for about 5 minutes and no miss....smooth as could be. So it only seems to be missing at low speeds and/or low RPM's for some reason. It doesn't seem to affect performance it's just irritating as hell.

When I got back I unplugged the coil packs 1 X 1 and they seemed to be working fine. I think I just need a new set of plugs which I will get here in the next week or 2.

I'm not used to the extra power yet. I was sitting at the red light and when it turned green I started to accelerate a little hard and the tires broke loose and started to spin. I just let off the fun pedal, set back and smiled.

I don't want to beat a dead horse but again Clay I can't thank you enough! I really appreciate what you did for me and I learned a lot as well. So thanks again!!!

Old 10-03-2004, 10:44 PM
carb cleaner leaves a very light oily residue...

so if you use carb cleaner to clean, hit it with something that doesnt leave a residue (brake cleaner) or some type of electrical cleaner.

I use brake cleaner becuase it doesn't harm aluminum.

Old 10-03-2004, 11:32 PM
mine had a little oil when i installed my ported eaton ive added nitrous since then so im gonna see if mines clean like robs this week when i install my magnum powers.

Old 10-04-2004, 12:49 AM
Mines an 03 and heres what I had after 12,000 miles.

My s/c flaked alot also.

Thats just part of it. The rest of it was logged in the I/C itself. I had to blow them out.

Old 10-04-2004, 08:58 AM
at 75k im scared to take my sc off now

Old 10-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by l-menace
carb cleaner leaves a very light oily residue...

so if you use carb cleaner to clean, hit it with something that doesnt leave a residue (brake cleaner) or some type of electrical cleaner.

I use brake cleaner becuase it doesn't harm aluminum.
I knew it was something, just could'nt remember..but did use brake cleaner afterwards
A good reminder, Thanks L-Menace

Quick Reply: Pulled off a supercharger yesterday.......... I guess all trucks look like this