Lightning

Damn that AirForce1 snorkle!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn that AirForce1 snorkle!

Man I really like the AF1 intake system I bought. Big filter,nice chrome intake tube. What I do not dig though is that damn ardvark(sp?)connecter on the end. The clamp that is supposed to go around that to hold it on the filter does not line up that great and when I think its on pretty damn well I come home from riding around and the thing has worked its way off AGAIN,aaaargh!
I would just keep it of but I need to support that end somehow since there is nothing between that and the TB for support. Should I fab a bracket? Buy a box to put it in that will fit the 12" filter (even though I would like to keep it open as much as possible)? Or just get a whole new filter and keep the intake tube(I like it allot,bling)?
Any words of wisdom guys other then prop the rubber intake under the filter for support,which it is doing for now BTW.
Thanks.

Old 10-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Buy a rubber waste basket from Home Depot and do this.

http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=36744

Old 10-05-2004, 10:21 PM
I tied my plastic part on with a wire tie.
Then I put the stainless clamp around that lose.This supports the cone , but lets it move around with the flexing of the engine.

Old 10-06-2004, 06:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sweetest support is still Sal's ... but does anyone listen?

LOL

Old 10-06-2004, 11:37 AM

talking about this thing... at the end of my box (thats still in work) ya that little clamp with the spacer did require some modifying when I was using it to get it to cover the hole in the fender just right. If yours keeps popping off I would ditch the supplied clamp and install your own.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Redlightn 02

or build one out of aluminum. I'll post a pic of the ram air box scoop below the bumper today..... it holds five 2" tubes... one to the filter end in the fender and 4 from the bottom of the airbox.

Last edited by RED 92; 10-06-2004 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by RED 92

talking about this thing... at the end of my box (thats still in work) ya that little clamp with the spacer did require some modifying when I was using it to get it to cover the hole in the fender just right. If yours keeps popping off I would ditch the supplied clamp and install your own.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Redlightn 02

or build one out of aluminum. I'll post a pic of the ram air box scoop below the bumper today..... it holds five 2" tubes... one to the filter end in the fender and 4 from the bottom of the airbox.
Cool I will keep my eyes open for the pics.

Old 10-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by AirborneRacer
Cool I will keep my eyes open for the pics.

thread with pics

Old 10-08-2004, 09:57 PM
I give um an "A" for Effort but for crying out loud.
I would rather stay stock than have a chance of that junk coming apart in my engine compartment.

The only real benifit is possible at WOT and you get some sound.

OK, OK, OK your telling me it is a low restriction air filter and more surface area.

I doubt anyone would really notice the difference on the way to and from work.

Run the stock box and put on the cone filter for the drag strip

My face still hurts from smiling while I read through that link......

If your tube is slipping off the ring how about using a self tapping tech screw to hold it in addition to the clamp.

Air filtering is a big part of the HVAC industry which is my stock and trade. Low restriction generaly refers to worse filteration.
Which is fine for a few runs on a paved track or a race engine that will be overhauled frequently.

I agree that for maximum performance the stock filter system sucks but it is low maint and works.

I guess I am in a bad mood and ranting cause the presidential debate is going on in the background and I am so frustrated.

Both these guys suck but if Kerry wins plan on ridding your bike to the bus stop.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Airforce1 snorkle

AirborneRacer
I had the same problem you're are having.What I did was after I got everything lined up, I marked the position of the snorkle.Then I used a small ,1/4" self tapper screw to hold the snorkle in place, and then bolted everything together.If you look closely, there is a small hole on the cone inlet side of the filter.It has not come loose since.Good Luck!
Raleigh

Old 10-08-2004, 11:56 PM
Airforce1 snorkle

EZGZ
The Airforce1 intake is one of the largest (15" long) and highest flowing filter on the market.The sound it makes under boost is awsome! Just my 2 cents.
I do commercial refrigeration here in Northern Va. Just wanted to say "whats up" to a fellow HVACR Tech. Later.
Raleigh

Old 10-09-2004, 08:03 AM
evo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had my AF1 on for over a year. I to have the same problem. I just resigned myself to the fact that I have to adjust it every once in awhile. I also run the power tube which gives me a little more alignment adjustment.
Has anyone brought up this on going problem to AF1?

Quick Reply: Damn that AirForce1 snorkle!