Lightning

Will I void my warranty if....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004 | 11:41 AM
Old 10-06-2004 | 11:44 AM
Basically it is a chance you will have to take, I have heard of some dealers who overlook the mods and then some freak out about it.

Ahh, the price we pay for speed!!!

Old 10-06-2004 | 12:13 PM
Originally posted by LightningTuner
The powertrain warranty was voided on my 99 because Ford had a 2" thick stack of papers of posts from the internet I had made about what I had done to the truck . [/B]

Ford will go that far to void a warranty? You would think they had better things to do....

Old 10-06-2004 | 12:39 PM
Originally posted by LightningTuner
That is NOT true. Ford can, and sometomes does, "void" a warranty. Now it IS true that most of the time the dealer will just deny the repair under warranty, but if the dealer reports the aftermarket parts to Ford (either via direct phonecall or something input on a repair order), Ford can void your warranty. It's very uncommon for them to void the entire truck's warranty, but often performance parts will cause a powertrain warranty voided. Then when the dealer tech runs OASIS on the vehicle, it will come up "Powertrain warranty voided". It's happened to several people here, and it happened to me. The powertrain warranty was voided on my 99 because Ford had a 2" thick stack of papers of posts from the internet I had made about what I had done to the truck .
It would be interesting to see who posted the OASIS comment.

Ford's legal team would have been MUCH wiser to post something like "Warranty claims resulting from modifications will be denied".

I think an amatuer (them... not you!!!) stepped off the safe path if they posted that comment.

Old 10-06-2004 | 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Duende
A chip will be noticed by the dealership. Look into a handheld tuner (Diablo Predator or SCT Tuner).
I could have sworn that Ford could pickup whether a Diablo Predator or SCT Tuner had been "hooked up" to a vehicle before. But maybe not. Any smart techies here know the real deal?

Old 10-07-2004 | 08:01 AM
Say this is not true

I was thinking of getting an SCT 9100 but not up for it if it can be detected. OK Sal what are the facts on this ???

Can a dealer detect use of a flash tuner ???

Old 10-07-2004 | 10:06 AM
Re: Say this is not true

Originally posted by cglenn
I was thinking of getting an SCT 9100 but not up for it if it can be detected. OK Sal what are the facts on this ???

Can a dealer detect use of a flash tuner ???
Well, being a former dealer tech myself, and having used all the current diagnostic equipment, I have never seen a way for a dealer tech to determine if a PCM has been flashed. If you show up at the dealer with a tune loaded, that's different, but if you restore your stocker back in there, there's no way to detect it had been flashed.

Old 10-07-2004 | 05:34 PM
Sal ran an Oasis report for my truck back in 2001. On the report it clearly was written, "power train warranty voided"

The area rep said three things lead to the warranty voiding. Shiney pcm leads(apparently they thought I had a chip), aftermarket air intake and Borla cat back exhaust were are reasons why the warranty was voided.

So, to answer your question Ford can do anything they want to your warranty if you add aftermarket parts, or if their is evidence to suspect aftermarket parts were installed, or even if the vehicle was driven hard.

Good Luck!:santa:

Old 10-07-2004 | 08:15 PM
Originally posted by easterisland
or even if the vehicle was driven hard.

Good Luck!:santa:
I dont drive it hard......I treat it like a "honda civic" driving it easy trying to get the best mileage and hoping to get 60K out of my tires .... why would anyone drive an SVT product hard

Quick Reply: Will I void my warranty if....