Lightning

Will I void my warranty if....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004 | 11:23 PM
|
Will I void my warranty if....

I just got my new Lightning and am dying to add some performance parts to it. I was wondering though, if I add a Superchip or a cold air intake will I void my factory warranty??

Thanks

Old 10-05-2004 | 11:27 PM
yes

Old 10-05-2004 | 11:27 PM
You've already voided it just by thinking about adding aftermarket performance parts.

Old 10-05-2004 | 11:33 PM
A chip will be noticed by the dealership. Look into a handheld tuner (Diablo Predator or SCT Tuner).

Old 10-05-2004 | 11:39 PM
you put aftermarket gas in it. kiss that warranty goodbye./

Hell MY warranty was violated for putting after market air in the tires.

Old 10-05-2004 | 11:42 PM
They voided my warranty for royal purple blinker fluid. I had taken it in because my check driver light was on....

Old 10-05-2004 | 11:54 PM
You have to talk personally with your service advisor. Mine told me that a CAI and Cat-back was fine, but nothing else as far as drive train goes.

If you put a bigger pulley, chip, FTVB or any performance part that adds any stress to the drive train, you are voiding your drive rain warranty.

Obviously any suspension work would would that part of the warranty and so on...

-dennis

Old 10-06-2004 | 01:02 AM
Originally posted by JavaBeans
You've already voided it just by thinking about adding aftermarket performance parts.
Also, just by typing that post, Ford has tracked u down and warned your local dealer to void your warrenty next time u go in for warrenty work!

Old 10-06-2004 | 02:03 AM
Does the movie "Minority Report" sound familiar?

Old 10-06-2004 | 07:52 AM
If you follow the little white rabbit, your warranty will be no good. In fact, Ford might void your entire warranty just for posting on this board

Old 10-06-2004 | 08:29 AM
A cat-back and CAI should never void a warranty..... but some dealers are pr1cks.

I say go with the chip.... definately! Its like night and day!

If you have to bring the truck into the dealer, just take the chip out. It takes less than 1 min.

Old 10-06-2004 | 08:36 AM
Originally posted by JavaBeans
thats funny

Old 10-06-2004 | 09:02 AM
Your second-worst source of information on the subject is the internet.

Your very worst is your dealer staff.

Read your warranty. Read the SVT supplement. Read the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.

You are responsible for damage caused by modifications.

There is never a point when the warranty is "voided", that's not a relevant legal term. Rather, Ford will deny warranty coverage for damage caused by modifications, neglect, or improper service.

Example. Add a 4+ pulley, CAI and a tune. Fuel pump goes bad. No warranty hassle. Ball joint goes bad. No warranty hassle. Throw a rod? Repair will be on your dime, sorry.

You have NO need to use Motorcraft fluids or have Ford perform routine service. Simply document that the service was performed with products that meet Ford's specs.

Lot's of misinformation out there. Some would be best to just park the truck for 36 months/36,000 miles rather than risk doing anything to "void" that precious warranty.

Sam

Old 10-06-2004 | 10:22 AM
if you use a chip, they will definielty KNOW!

you can reflash your PCM, and some say they can dedect that others say NO.

But installing a chip will definietly know, even if you remove it, you have to remove the conformal coating over the PCM board and this is the first thing FORD looks at

Old 10-06-2004 | 11:26 AM
Originally posted by R_Rider
[B] There is never a point when the warranty is "voided", that's not a relevant legal term. Rather, Ford will deny warranty coverage for damage caused by modifications, neglect, or improper service.
That is NOT true. Ford can, and sometomes does, "void" a warranty. Now it IS true that most of the time the dealer will just deny the repair under warranty, but if the dealer reports the aftermarket parts to Ford (either via direct phonecall or something input on a repair order), Ford can void your warranty. It's very uncommon for them to void the entire truck's warranty, but often performance parts will cause a powertrain warranty voided. Then when the dealer tech runs OASIS on the vehicle, it will come up "Powertrain warranty voided". It's happened to several people here, and it happened to me. The powertrain warranty was voided on my 99 because Ford had a 2" thick stack of papers of posts from the internet I had made about what I had done to the truck .

Quick Reply: Will I void my warranty if....