Lightning

Advice on Track day setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004 | 10:07 PM
|
Advice on Track day setup

Taking the L to Little Talladega (1.3 mile) on Saturday. It's my first Track day event and I don't plan to break any records, but intend to have a lot of fun
I changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter and upgraded to Hawk HPS brake pads. My front springs are stock and I have 2" shackles in the back. Rims are stock with F1s.
A search gave various input on tire pressure. One thread recommended 45 psi front and 36 psi back,
and driving with either a full tank or 1/4 to avoid fuel sloshing.

Any quick comments on this as well as further advice on the setup would be greatly appreciated.

Jesper

BTW. The club (SVTOA Atl) still have 4 slots available if anyone are interested.

Old 10-07-2004 | 10:45 AM
Looks like a nice track ... HAven't gotten that far South
yet, but I hope to this winter. Those pressures are what
I use, and I got them from someone else ... The 45 in
front helps prevent too much tire lean. We are Soooooo
dayum heavy in front...

Last edited by SVT_KY; 10-07-2004 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2004 | 01:48 PM
I run 32 in the rear and 36 in the front on my Hoosiers. That's cold pressure. After coming off the track the pressures will go up around 6 psi.

Jerry

Old 10-07-2004 | 02:13 PM
You need to be sure and check your hot pressure. Check it right off the track or in hot pit if you can. I typically run the fronts @ ~40 and the rears @ ~34 hot. This may be as low as 34f/30r cold, though. You should check your pressures after each run since it will climb throughout the day.

-Edward

Old 10-07-2004 | 02:26 PM
|
Appreciate the feed back, but it seems the advice ranges from high (45/36 cold), average (36/32 cold) to low (40/34 hot~34/28 cold) tire pressure

Guess I need one more oppinion to see a trend

Old 10-07-2004 | 04:45 PM
Originally posted by porsen
. . . Guess I need one more oppinion to see a trend
Find the relative value front to rear that works best, then adjust the absolute values to taste.

I usually like about a 5 lb spread on street radials.

I have gotten better results with higher pressures (at least above 40 in front). On F1s, and assuming 20 minute sessions, I would run 45F/40 R for the first few sessions and then tweak once you get a feel for the track.

My best track day advice:
1. Drink plenty of fluids
2. Look where you want to go, not where you already are. Actually turn your head (not just your eyes) in sharp corners. By the entrance to a turn, you should already be looking at the apex. By the time you get to the apex, you should already be looking at the exit. And so on. Rely on your peripheral vision for what is immediately around you -- your focus should always be well down the track.
3. Worry lesss about the equipment and more about the driver. Rather than checking the truck between runs, maybe sit down with a track map and go over it in your head.
4. If you are running with beginners, do not follow their lines. 95% of them are wrong.
5. Speed comes with time. Don't force it.

I am still a rank amatuer. I have learned these things the hard way.

Old 10-07-2004 | 05:07 PM
I would also recommend riding with your instructor in their car. Having them drive your truck around the track is also an experience. Your gas pedal is not a momentary switch. Don't lift mid-turn. Please let "slower" cars that are faster than you in the turns pass in the straights.

Last edited by Edward; 10-07-2004 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Advice on Track day setup