Lightning

Finally went to the track w/the mods tonight....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Finally went to the track w/the mods tonight....

81 degrees out, 70% humidity. This track is in West Palm Beach, Florida, so while the elevation is good, the air quality seemingly almost makes up for whatever benefit you get from being sea level. An F-350 with bald mud tires (no drag radials, slicks or cheater slicks) ran 11.07 at 119 MPH.

I ran on the stock F1's all night. Played with the Predator a little.
5500 miles on the odometer..

Best run was 12.92 @ 106.14 with 1.92 60 ft (F1's @ 32 PSI).
I'm pissed about my MPH, but pleased with the ET on the factory rubber.

Question: I'm running 16 degrees timing at WOT.
I'm thinking I can get away with a little more?
I'm thinking 17, but hesitant about 18 degrees.

Anybody with some decent experience with this?

Old 10-07-2004, 01:18 AM
was the f350 white with a 6" exhaust painted flat black and a gear vendors overdrive?

Old 10-07-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by MISTERgadget
was the f350 white with a 6" exhaust painted flat black and a gear vendors overdrive?
Yes, I know the guy.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:21 AM
Gaby from GAW.

That truck is sick

Old 10-07-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by MISTERgadget
Gaby from GAW.

That truck is sick
It's so fast it's hilarious.

Old 10-07-2004, 04:22 AM
Cummins power works wonders.

Old 10-07-2004, 04:49 AM
Dump about 3 gals of toluene on top of 1/4 tank of 93 Octane, and turn the timing up to 18.

Old 10-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by ShockTherapy
Dump about 3 gals of toluene on top of 1/4 tank of 93 Octane, and turn the timing up to 18.
Some are getting away with more timing on pump gas, others not. I haven't tried more timing lately as far as pinging is concerned, but I am wondering if I could add a degree or two without ping. Each degree should be what, about 1 MPH more in the traps?

Last edited by Blown347Hatch; 10-07-2004 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:07 AM
I was there running my Mustang last night and was very disapointed. A usual 12.90 @ 106 on motor car running 13.5 and 13.7 @102!!! Also, was I the only one who was getting pissed about how slowly Moroso does things lately and the fact that the first run was at 8:00???!!! Anyway, I saw a few Lightnings last night but the fastest ones I saw were a white 03-04 that I thought was stock from the way it looked and then I saw it rip off a..........12-something @ 106. That truck was screaming. I watched it from the tower and that blower could be heard all the way to the end of the track. The other fast one I saw was a black 01-02 with 99-00 taillights and an ARE bed cover. I don't recall his times but he was in the 12's and screamin too. Before I left, I saw a nice 03 sonic blue with ET Streets on the back but didn't get to see him run. I did see that big F-350 diesel but I heard the owner say that it had a cummins diesel. Some of you may like Moroso but the more I go there, the less desire I have to go back. Too crowded, too many "sport" compacts, too many $500 race cars spilling oil on the track causing further delay and the fact that every time I go there, the price seems to go up by five bucks. I'm not some cheapo but it cost me $30.00 bucks to get me and my brother in and all we got were 2 runs. Yes we did leave early at 9:45 but usually by that time, I have about 4 runs in.

Old 10-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Re: Finally went to the track w/the mods tonight....

Originally posted by Blown347Hatch
81 degrees out, 70% humidity. ...

I ran on the stock F1's all night. ...

Best run was 12.92 @ 106.14 with 1.92 60 ft (F1's @ 32 PSI).

Anybody with some decent experience with this?
You're RIGHT on the money with those modifications. That's what a friend runs in the warm weather with a PERFECT race tune from Sal. He's got the same mods as you.

Cold weather will give better ET's and MPH, maybe 2 tenths and 3 mph....but you wont see it in Florida.

Be very happy with those times. Most of the people on here have factory freaks who run much better, or have everything stripped off the truck, and have other power adders/modifications.

You wont find many people posting their best times from the summer - they'll post what they ran in the best weather conditions, traction, etc... Our trucks suffer in 75+ degree weather.

Get a set of ET Streets (26"), and you'll see consistent 12s runs in the warm weather.

Old 10-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Re: Re: Finally went to the track w/the mods tonight....

Originally posted by MaxPower
You're RIGHT on the money with those modifications. That's what a friend runs in the warm weather with a PERFECT race tune from Sal. He's got the same mods as you.

Cold weather will give better ET's and MPH, maybe 2 tenths and 3 mph....but you wont see it in Florida.

Be very happy with those times. Most of the people on here have factory freaks who run much better, or have everything stripped off the truck, and have other power adders/modifications.

You wont find many people posting their best times from the summer - they'll post what they ran in the best weather conditions, traction, etc... Our trucks suffer in 75+ degree weather.

Get a set of ET Streets (26"), and you'll see consistent 12s runs in the warm weather.
Thanks for the positive words MaxPower. Remember, I also have an Apten-ported blower, so I'm feeling like my MPH is a little low. Were you taking into account the ported blower as far as my MPH is concerned?

Old 10-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Not to rub salt in your wounds but my brother's truck has run 12.8 @ 106 mph at Moroso on F1's with a 1.9 60 ft. He has an REM cold air kit, ported tb, ported plenum, 4lb lower and REM tuned Diablo chip. The weather was better than it was last night at the track but it wasn't cold. I think it was just a bad night for mph because as I said, I ran my mustang that has always gone 106 mph and last night it wouldn't go faster than 102. A friend of mine who was racing his burgundy 04 Cobra has a lot of experience with track conditions and he told be that there was a headwind last night and that could have been resonsible for my (and your) "low" mph. I agree with max power especially with the cold weather but last year in the winter my L's thermometer was reading 39 degrees and that was more than one time so we do get some cold weather but I think you definately have the power. I watched you run from the tree and that thing was just rippin!

Old 10-07-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by WideOpen03SVT
I was there running my Mustang last night and was very disapointed. A usual 12.90 @ 106 on motor car running 13.5 and 13.7 @102!!! Also, was I the only one who was getting pissed about how slowly Moroso does things lately and the fact that the first run was at 8:00???!!! Anyway, I saw a few Lightnings last night but the fastest ones I saw were a white 03-04 that I thought was stock from the way it looked and then I saw it rip off a..........12-something @ 106. That truck was screaming. I watched it from the tower and that blower could be heard all the way to the end of the track. The other fast one I saw was a black 01-02 with 99-00 taillights and an ARE bed cover. I don't recall his times but he was in the 12's and screamin too. Before I left, I saw a nice 03 sonic blue with ET Streets on the back but didn't get to see him run. I did see that big F-350 diesel but I heard the owner say that it had a cummins diesel. Some of you may like Moroso but the more I go there, the less desire I have to go back. Too crowded, too many "sport" compacts, too many $500 race cars spilling oil on the track causing further delay and the fact that every time I go there, the price seems to go up by five bucks. I'm not some cheapo but it cost me $30.00 bucks to get me and my brother in and all we got were 2 runs. Yes we did leave early at 9:45 but usually by that time, I have about 4 runs in.
Yes, Moroso is very slow, they take their sweet a$$ time, and generally don't want to be there one minute past 11:00 PM, to the point that they closed the sportsman staging lanes at 10:10 PM. They have always taken pleasure on ramming rules down everybody's throats, and have had an arrogance/hostility thing with the racers. Unfortunately, they are the only game in town for the tri-county area, and because of that, their attitude SUCKS! Last night, they wouldn't let a 17 yr old run his car because of the notary stamp being expired, so he asked if his friend who is 18 years old could run it instead, and they took pleasure in telling him he was done for the night. Like I said, it's a power trip with those people. I have been through it with them many a times. I go out there with everything in order, and wonder if it bohers them when they can't say anything.

The white stock-looking Lightning you mentioned was me. I like the factory stock look. The blue one with ET Streets asked me to race, I requested the right lane (which he obliged) and I beat him on my F1's with a 12.92 to his 12.95. He ran 104+ MPH and I ran 106. He never said anything to me afterwards, so I imagine he was pissed or something.

The F-350 diesel is a local guy in Miami who owns a shop and does a lot of work on trucks. He went 11.07 @ 119 MPH weighing 6500 lbs.

There were a lot of "sport compacts" (S.C. = So Clueless) out there, generally the ones that just stick a loud muffler and run 16's or 17's are wasting everybody's time, but since there is so many of them, they are getting catered to nowadays. I don't mind the turbo ones that at least run 14's or quicker. I am in agreement with your sentiments about the track and many of the cars out there that are either slower than death, or crapping parts all over the track.

Yeah, perhaps the weather conditions were not the best (I'm hoping)? So, you made no changes to your vehicle, and lost 4 MPH and 6-8 tenths due to weather conditions? What is your combo?

Old 10-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Re: Re: Re: Finally went to the track w/the mods tonight....

Originally posted by Blown347Hatch
Thanks for the positive words MaxPower. Remember, I also have an Apten-ported blower, so I'm feeling like my MPH is a little low. Were you taking into account the ported blower as far as my MPH is concerned?
No problem. ...and yes, I did take into account the ported blower. One of our other locals with the same mods (including the ported Eaton) runs the same times in similar conditions.

Remember, it's just a #. It's easier to comapre your results with others running the same night, than it is to all the people on this forum.

...and the BEST ever 60' I have seen on F1's is a mid 1.8. It was on NEW F1's with incredible track prep (many slick'd cars running that night, providing a nice sticky surface). I typically see very low 1.9 60's.

Old 10-07-2004, 05:21 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Finally went to the track w/the mods tonight....

Originally posted by MaxPower
No problem. ...and yes, I did take into account the ported blower. One of our other locals with the same mods (including the ported Eaton) runs the same times in similar conditions.

Remember, it's just a #. It's easier to comapre your results with others running the same night, than it is to all the people on this forum.

...and the BEST ever 60' I have seen on F1's is a mid 1.8. It was on NEW F1's with incredible track prep (many slick'd cars running that night, providing a nice sticky surface). I typically see very low 1.9 60's.
What area are you in?

Last edited by Blown347Hatch; 10-07-2004 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally went to the track w/the mods tonight....