Lightning

Problem with new thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004 | 11:44 PM
|
Problem with new thermostat

I installed a 170* thermostat the other day and when I removed my old one it has 180* printed on it. Is this right??? I thought the stock was higher. The truck only had 4000 miles on it when I bought it so I would think it was stock.

BUT the real problem is that my electric fan is set at about 180 ( I think with a temp gun) and it was running all the time and the temp needle was almost at the top of the temp symbol. Now with the 170* it is slightly above the symbol maybe two needle widths higher and the fans are still running all the time.

Could the thermostat be a bad one??? It is a Murry brand ordered from O'rileys auto.

On the odometer which is the one that tells the engine temp??

Old 10-08-2004 | 02:52 AM
The 180 t-stat is stock. (Lightnings have a slightly colder t-stat from the factory.)

If your new t-stat were not opening, the truck would have overheated the first time you drove it (up to operating temp).

What fan(s) are you using? It sounds to me like the fans might not be moving enough air, as you say that the "never shut off" once they come on (I am assuming).
Also, the fan(s) should be sealed up to the radiator tightly, and it is possible that you need the original shroud installed, if it will fit.

I have not put e-fans on my Lightning yet, but its in the plan... I have, however, installed e-fans on other vehicles, and, if they move sufficient air, they cool better than mechanical fans.

Old 10-08-2004 | 04:49 AM
The diagnostic in the odometer reads in Celcius.

The temp reading will look like.......... DEG75C

That would translate to about 170 farenheight.

However, the thermostats usually run a few degrees hotter than what they are actually rated.

My 160 degree hypertech runs about 72/73 celcius,
A 170 thermostat would probably run around 79/80 celcius.

Conversion calculators for Celcius to farenheight are easily found online.

Old 10-08-2004 | 07:53 AM
Slight correction.

However, the thermostats usually run a few degrees hotter than what they are actually rated.
It's not the thermostat it's the "system" that runs about 12 degrees hotter. (avg temps)

Rich

Old 10-08-2004 | 06:52 PM
|
I will check the temps tonight I might just have a temp gun that is off.

I installed my fan so it looks just like JDM's well actually Mine is a little tighter than his. It is a factory fan from a crown vic. Only running on the high side. I remove the wiring from the low side so the fan is pulling more than enough air I thought the needle would be lower since the temps should be 10 degrees lower.

Quick Reply: Problem with new thermostat