Lightning

Using tap in supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004 | 02:21 AM
|
Using tap in supercharger?

Whats goin on guys?!

I figure you guys may be able to help me even though this question is regarding the cobra.

I got my blower back from apten and im reinstalling the I/C on the blower. Im having trouble getting two of the bolts back into the blower. They go about 3/4 of the way then get stuck. Im not about to force it, because I have done it before and it sucks when it gets stuck. So I picked up a tap at the hardware store. Apten said to get a 5mm x .80 so thats what I got. Im really hesitant to use the tap because I have never done it before. I picked up some oil to use for it like the guy at the machine shop said but I really dont trust myself doing it. Is there any other options out there for cleaning out the threds in the hole? And if not, any tips for using a tap?

thanks guys

Old 10-08-2004 | 05:31 AM
Just make sure it's strait when you start screwing the tap in, it should be a real easy operation if all your doing is cleaning up the threads. Make sure you blow the hole out with compressed air when your done.

Inspect the bolts you took out to make sure they don't have any aluminum stuck in the threads.

Ford doesn't use anti seize on the bolts, so it's not uncommon to destroy the threads in the manifold when aluminum gets stuck on the bolt while your removing it. I had to use a 2ft breaker bar on a 3/4 drive ratchet to remove one of my bolts. I also ended up having to drill & tap, and install a helicoil. AND I also used anti seize on all the bolts just in case I ever have to take it apart again.

Old 10-09-2004 | 05:31 PM
Something I have tried when this happens is to take some compressed air and blow the threads out. You can either use a compressor or the stuff they sell in a can for computers. Believe it or not I have done this twice and it worked both times.

Old 10-09-2004 | 07:27 PM
What they said!
That was some good info and it's the way I do that job.

What happens also is it is very easy to cross thread the fine thread bolts.

Suavy

Old 10-09-2004 | 08:27 PM
Id tap it to be 100% safe. I would also pick up two new bolts. It cant hurt.

what all you got done to the cobra?

Old 10-09-2004 | 09:46 PM
Re-tapping threads is not difficult if you have enough threads to get the tap started in the hole. Use some light oil or WD-40 as a lubricant, applying it both to the tap and the hole. The tap should thread in pretty easily where the threads are still good - it will probably be a little beyond "finger tight" as it goes in. Run the tap in a few threads and take it back out. If it went in and out easily, there won't be much material (or chips) in the threads of the tap. Put the tap back in the hole and take it down a few more turns. Then take it back out and clean and re-lube it. Then take it down until you feel it start to turn harder. When it does get harder to turn, you'll want to go forward about a half turn, stop, back up a quarter turn and then go forward again repeating the back and forth motion about a half turn at a time until you get the hole cleaned up. Going backward a bit breaks the chips into smaller pieces and keeps them from building up as much in the flutes of the tap. Keep a good eye on the tap as you are starting it to make sure you are perpendicular to the hole. If you are not, the tap will go in but gets harder and harder to turn because youl'll be driving it into one wall of the hole and you'll wind up with a crooked, shallow hole.

Quick Reply: Using tap in supercharger?