Lightning

Looking for advise on a GOOD suspension kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004 | 03:26 AM
|
Looking for advise on a GOOD suspension kit

I have looked at the Hotchkis TVS kit. And some what the SOCAL speed shop kit. Was wondering if these were the best i could get in a total kit, not a hoge podge put together kit. Or is there anything better out there. I have searched this and have not found exactly what i am after. I am also looking for minimal drop and most of the payload that comes stock. 4" front & 4" rear would be all I want to go. 2-3 would be Ideal for me. But drop is thirdary (is that a word) to handling and ride comfort is nearly as important as handling.

And I realize this is th Lightning Site and My truck Is not a Lightning. Since they didn't make 98 Lightning and mine is one minus a 5.4 supercharged engine i figure this is the best place to be. And, The suspension section aint worth jack unless you are planning on going UP at least 4 inches.

Scotty08

Old 10-25-2004 | 10:33 AM
The only way I can see retaining the stock payload with a 3" drop would be with air bags. Or maybe someone else has an idea of how to do that...

Old 10-25-2004 | 10:53 AM
C-notch the frame to get the suspension travel/payload back.

Old 10-25-2004 | 12:03 PM
I had a 2/2 drop on my '99 L. Just some Chassis Tech front springs and rear hangers. It handled a bit better, rode a bit rougher, and looked good.

For my '04, I decided to get a kit _designed_ for what I wanted. So I went with the Roush setup. Front coil springs, rear leaf springs, and special-valved Bilstein shocks all the way around. Dropped it very well, but still left some front to rear rake which I like. Ride is stock-like. If you drove the truck, you would think it was a stock Lightning. Not any more rough or abusive/intrusive than stock. Seriously. I was _extremely_ pleased with this. Handling is far better than stock. There is no comparison. Oh, and did I say it looks great.

You can see pics here: http://www.wa2fst.com/7.html

It's not the cheapest, but well worth it and the F-150 4x2 kit is for any year truck of this generation, and not just for Lightnings. I would call Roush directly and inquire about payload limitations, though. I don't haul a lot of heavy things in my truck.

Old 10-25-2004 | 01:54 PM
Originally posted by WA 2 FST
I would call Roush directly and inquire about payload limitations, though.
I also have the Roush kit, but don't get it if you want to keep the stock payload.

Old 10-25-2004 | 11:57 PM
Re: Looking for advise on a GOOD suspension kit

Originally posted by Scotty08
. . . But drop is thirdary (is that a word) to handling and ride comfort is nearly as important as handling. . .
"ter·ti·ar·y: adj. Third in place, order, degree, or rank." Websters.

Have you checked out
my Web site? There is some suspension info there.

With all due respect to WA 2 FST, you can have handling or ride comfort, but not both.

Stiffer springs = harsher ride. Period. You make the tradeoff; only you can weigh these things.

The only serious contenders in a turnkey are the Roush or the Hotchkis. So-Cal uses Eibach springs, which suck for the Lightning. I went with Hotchkis before getting more serious about handling. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably go with the Roush kit. More drop, all report great handling.

Don't worry about payload. $200 worth of helper airbags will increase payload by up to 1,700 lbs.

Old 10-26-2004 | 12:36 AM
Well, I should have pointed out that I do not road-race the truck, so I'm sure with just the simple Roush setup that I have it doesn't _handle_ like a road-racer. But it handles better than stock, and it doesn't ride any worse. Then again, I thought my '04 stock rode worse than my '99 did.

FWIW, I didn't do the aftermarket Roush sway bars, and I should add that we are blessed with excellent road surfaces/conditions here in the N. Dallas area.

Last edited by WA 2 FST; 10-26-2004 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-26-2004 | 01:52 AM
|
Thanks for the input EVERYONE.

Tim I have seen your web site. That is acctually how i found this site. I was looking at the time for a good brake set up. I am pretty much set on getting the stoptech set up, or the TCE/willwood set up. I am just rying to figure out now which suspension i am going to use.

Thanks everyone

Old 10-26-2004 | 03:38 AM
Tim,

Let me point out that the 03-04's ride much more harshly than any previous years due to the goofy rear leafs ford picked.....

Old 10-26-2004 | 10:09 AM
Originally posted by MISTERgadget
Tim,

Let me point out that the 03-04's ride much more harshly than any previous years due to the goofy rear leafs ford picked.....
I thought that might be the reason for my '04 riding signficantly worse than my '99 (which was lowered, but by cheaper means). So while my '04 I'm sure doesn't ride like a stock '99-02 truck (I don't remember what that feels like, so my butt-meter is out of tune), it feels great with the Roush setup.

Even my wife likes it and she's used to the Expedition.

Old 10-26-2004 | 08:15 PM
I put the Roush kit w/ 2" shackles and the truck's stance is lightyears beyond the stock, 4X4 look. I mean, your wheel gap can't be bigger than your side walls. The handling has improved drastically and the ride is noticably harsher, but has a more planted, sporty feel. Feels great on the track and you know that Roush has spent some time and money on the R&D.

Dan
'01 Lightning
'04 F-150 XLT

Old 10-26-2004 | 10:35 PM
I also have the Roush full meal deal. I love it. Great stance, better handling, smooth ride. I fully expected a much rougher ride. Roush did an excellent job of designing the kit. Do a search and you will find that some of us got a great deal a couple of years ago due to stock reduction. Payloads is down to 400 lbs. This is much less of a problem than I thought it would be. 99.9% of the time my bed is empty. .1% of the time I'm at Lowe's or Home Depot, getting "stuff". As Tim mentioned, bags will increase payload if that's a big concern.

Old 10-27-2004 | 02:41 AM
Is this the Roush kit?

Suspension Kit, 4 X 2, Regular Cab, F150
Item: PN00-3K000-RC
Price: $889.77

Old 10-27-2004 | 02:55 AM
I believe that is the correct part number.

I love my Roush kit too. It gets a in the handling, stance, and ride departments.

Old 11-03-2004 | 09:48 PM
Might as well chime in as well re: Roush suspension kit. I've got it on my "normal" (i.e. not Lightning) 2003 F-150 and I LOVE it. Along with their 18" rims and some 295/45/18 tires - wow. I can take on/off ramps at twice the speed of my stock set up, and the tires don't even chirp. As for the "harsh ride" deal, I actually feel like it rides a lot better now. With my stock set up, while going over big bumps on the freeway my truck would hit the bump and then bounce, and bounce, and bounce, and .... Now, I hit that same bump and although it's a little bit more (well, I hate to say harsh so let's say) abrupt, after I go over that bump I never feel it again, that's it, finito, no bounce, just one single *bump*. Not sure if that makes a lot of sense, but that's how I experience it. And if it matters, even the wifey commented on how the ride was better after the suspension swap.

If you're looking for a good sporty suspension kit, I would recommend the Roush kit to any friend.

Quick Reply: Looking for advise on a GOOD suspension kit