Lightning

Torque converter or engine rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004 | 09:32 PM
|
Torque converter or engine rattle?

Here goes, when I first start my truck cold after it has been sitting for at least overnight it makes a loud rattling noise for about 5 to 10sec.The engine is new and just barely broken in. Last fall I blew up the stock engine. I'm hopeing The noise is not the engine. The transmission is screwed up, the converter does not lock up at highway speeds. I do hear a rattle from the bell houseing area after the engine is warm but I can't figure out what is causeing the rattle when first started. Can a bad converter creat a loud rattle when the engine is first started?Any help would be appreciated.
Clayton

Old 11-03-2004 | 09:38 PM
Hard to say
A bad cat can rattle, and sometimes the rattles come and go.

Whats the matter with the trans?

If your not doing anything friday come over to Englishtown, and meet all of us at JDM day. We can check the truck out for you.

Old 11-03-2004 | 09:47 PM
|
It's definitly not the cats, I installed long tubes and new cats when i put the engine in Italmost seems like its related to oil pressure or the converter. Before i blew the engine the converter would some times lock up, for example when driving down the parkway and pulling out of one toll booth it would lock up in fourth the next toll booth it wouldn't. Now it never locks in overdrive. What time on fri?

Old 11-03-2004 | 10:02 PM
It is the oil perssure I would say. It will take a sec. or two for the oil perssure to come up. If you are around some of the rice buners you will hear it. The lifters is make a tapping sound till the oil perssure comes up and fill the lifter with oil.

Old 11-03-2004 | 10:10 PM
I vote for Piston Slap!

it's normal to an extent.

but what Don said, bring it to JDM day on Friday and we'll give it a listen!

either way, good luck.

later,
chris

Old 11-03-2004 | 10:22 PM
|
I can't make it because I have to work, and it only does it when first start it, it will be fine by the time I get down there. Thanks anyway for your help.

Quick Reply: Torque converter or engine rattle?