Lightning

Looking for a new hood to dissipate engine heat

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004 | 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Dave02
So a cowl hood (one with an opening near the winshield) will create a suction to pull hot air out?? I hope I am understanding this correctly.
The cowl hood will pull cooler air into the engine bay at the base of the windshield.

Old 11-07-2004 | 04:57 PM
It lets hot air escape through the back of the hood.

Old 11-07-2004 | 05:33 PM
Originally posted by SlowSVT95
It lets hot air escape through the back of the hood.
only at idle, not when you are moving.

Originally posted by Redlightn 02
The cowl hood will pull cooler air into the engine bay at the base of the windshield.
Right! when you are driving it the flow of air will go over the hood and "sucked" into the engine at the end of the hood (near the windshield cowl)
It's all aerodynamics...

However we are talking about a truck here, so I havne't a clue how the air flows over it. (proabaly like a brick wall)

Old 11-07-2004 | 11:03 PM
I'm curious as to how your scoop handles a heavy downpour of water, does it dump the water over the open air filter, or does it drain off before it reaches the filter?

I too was conserned with this one day when we got a lot of rain..I checked when I got home and the fiilter was fine and only a little tiny bit of water was coming out. Actually none even hit the filter or even droped down it just got pushed back to the rear. Remember that there is always air under the hood mooving aft so it's not like the water (very little) is just going to drop on the fillter like a water fall because there is air hitting it and mooving it to ther rear.

Quick Reply: Looking for a new hood to dissipate engine heat