Lightning

went to the track with the spray! truck wasnt hooking up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004 | 09:02 PM
|
went to the track with the spray! truck wasnt hooking up!

it dropped down to 49 degreese here in florida last night! so i loaded everything up and headed to the track with a full bottle...i can usually cut 1.9 60ft times with my hoosiers, and rancho bars, keep in mind my track isnt the best... i heated them up pretty damn good with a low rpm burnout, purged the nitrous, and staged up...on the first run i can usually just stab the gas off a low idle launch..but this was the first time out with the bottle...my nitrous is hooked up on a WOT switch (ZEX kit) so as soon as i lay it to the floor my slicks started spinning! all the way through 2nd gear!! let off stabed it again...managed an 8.51 i pull around to get my slip and the guy tells me to get my money back and go home that my truck was too loud!! i was like WTF!?! i run here all the time...he said tonight the air was really dense and the sound carried alot more tonight than other nights...i do have a full exhaust with long tubes..and the blower was screaming pretty loud...but there were plenty other cars louder than mine..i was pretty pissed! im starting to think i may need a taller slick maybe? right now they are 28x16x10..after letting my truck sit for a while there was water all over it, it was covered in condinsation...so if there was any water on that track the slicks wernt working right...i was pissed i didnt get to play with the launch a little more...

Old 11-07-2004 | 09:14 PM
49 degrees? dayum it won't be that warm up here until spring!

I always do a HIGH SPEED burnout. I figure the more smoke I'm making the hotter those tires are getting.

I'm sure you already know this but:

never drive through the water box, always drive around it and then back into it to get the slicks wet.

reason is if you drive through it the front tires will hold the water in it's tread and when you Launch off the line, the front tires will spit it out on the track. In the perfect line for your rear tires to drive through.

ALso, don't do a burnout in the water, only get them wet. back up into the water, spin them for about a milisecond. pull forward and do your burnout. Spinning in the water will spray water all over the inner fender well and drip on your HOT slicks as you are staging and launching.

How much power are you making and what year truck (rear end gear).

Old 11-07-2004 | 09:20 PM
Friend has the same slicks as you and cuts 1.6 60' times and I managed 1.8's with them.

Old 11-07-2004 | 09:38 PM
I feel your pain man....same thing happend to me at JDM day....I just couldnt hook. Turns out I had a faulty air gauge, and while I thought I had 16lbs of air, I in reality had above 20.

Old 11-07-2004 | 09:39 PM
Yes I agree
up to Friday when WE ALL had traction issues at Eng Town,
Each and EVERY time BEFORE THAT (past two years)
I launch on Juice with 28x10x16 Hoosiers, I get a 1.6 60ft.

Fri was my worse EVER (2) 60 ft's on them,
1.81, and 2nd run was 1.70 (launched with 100 N20 HP )

Sounds like the Track just wasn't there, it happen to us Fri
even at an awesome place like English Town. Rained like a SOB
before hand, very cold and windy, and no matter how many times
they re-glued the track, after 10 cars or so, it would just go out,
and everyone spun big time.

Better days a coming for you Bro, I ran the Zex for two seasons,
you can throw it all at it and Hook (I was using 75HP)
quite well actually, just need the track to be there.

Hey, at least you got a pass in right,
CONGRATS

As for the noise and getting kicked out, thats sucks.....

Old 11-07-2004 | 10:08 PM
|
my truck is a 2000 with the 355 gears...4lb lower, 2.80 upper, full exhaust, CAI, 90mm MAF, 75 wet shot, rancho bars...im gunna go down to Gainsvile this weekend and try again...

Old 11-07-2004 | 10:28 PM
What do you run off the bottle on your Hoosiers? Mid-7s?

You may have to set up your nitrous for manual activation. I don't run nitrous on my L, but have on several other cars I've owned. I only raced these on some sort of radial tire, so there was NO way it would EVER hook in low gears. So I set it up where I could arm the system, but it wouldn't activate under WOT in low gears til I hit another switch (once I felt the car hook up).

On slicks/cheaters like you have, hopefully it will start hooking for you in 1st. But if you continue to spin, you will want to leave hard off the bottle and then hit it once you are off the line 100' or so. This will still net you some awesome times, and you won't just be boiling the tires.

Good luck.

Old 11-08-2004 | 02:16 AM
|
yeah i was going to consider trying that technique until they kicked me out! thats why i was so pissed..im going to a better track this week...i usually run mid-low 8's off the bottle..so i was hopeing for 7's last night...

Quick Reply: went to the track with the spray! truck wasnt hooking up!