Lightning

On The Fence

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004 | 01:17 PM
|
Question On The Fence

Hey Folks - a couple questions about reliability and price on the Lightning trucks. I currently own a 2000 Cougar with 66K miles. Long story short: I love my car, but it's been a pain in the butt to give it some "real" power, plus, I've been having a few problems with it. For instance, I have blown three oil filters, but I have zero major engine mods (only basics of air filter, MAF, and exhaust). Also, electrically, my sunroof has stopped working and is stuck in the open position, and if I have my foglights on and use the turn signal, the fuse for the foglights pops?!

I'm curious what kind of common problems you guys see on your trucks? Given the nightmare I've had with my Cougar (above is only a few prob's I've experienced), I'm pretty determined to leave my next car as stock as possible, so it's gotta' be a performance machine off the showroom floor. Plus, I'm a bit weary of Ford's latest products as far as reliability.

Finally, I'm eligible for the Ford X-Plan discount. Any one know what I'd pay for a 2004 after discount? I'm wondering if it would be the same as a used 2003?

Thanks!

Old 11-09-2004 | 01:47 PM
The Lightnings have proven to be pretty trouble free over the past 5 years. I am not saying that they are perfect, but no real major problems. The only real downside is that they are not easy on gasoline, and with high fuel prices it is something to think about.

Old 11-09-2004 | 06:08 PM
Lightnings are hand built. So I would say that quality is much higher. For sure no problems like you are having.

Old 11-09-2004 | 06:12 PM
So far, I've only had a fog light get moisture in it. You'll be pretty happy with the performance, but I'll bet you get the mod bug real quick!
Bryan

Old 11-09-2004 | 06:17 PM
If you're considering a Lightning, go with an '03 or '04 if you're looking for trouble free. The prior years did have some problems with intercoolers and plug spitting. Other than that, they can be very reliable even with mods. Like Don's Bolt said, they don't get very good gas mileage. Good luck.

Old 11-09-2004 | 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Mart Man 03 L
If you're considering a Lightning, go with an '03 or '04 if you're
looking for trouble free. The prior years did have some problems
with intercoolers and plug spitting. Other than that, they can be
very reliable even with mods. Like Don's Bolt said, they don't get
very good gas mileage. Good luck.
'02's are pretty good ... just cranked 50 K on mine ...

Don's right on the gas .. I get about 9 mpg ...

Old 11-09-2004 | 07:18 PM
Originally posted by air1kdf
Lightnings are hand built.
Lightning's weren't hand built. They rolled down the same line as the regular F150.

Old 11-09-2004 | 08:19 PM
The usual Prob's are very minimum
most are lack of something not be glued or tightened

Window Gasket's
Clunking Window
a bolt here and there falling out
moldings
etc....

But as for the IMPORTANT STUFF
I've Been racing mine for 3 seasons, juicing it for 2 of them,
and it's never been back in Fords hands, NOR WILL IT EVER BE

as said 03 / 04 did address a few very important known issues,
they have a new Block with more surface area to seal the heads
against. A New Style Head Gasket that also seals better,
improved heads with more threads holding the spark plugs in (that was a major prob), and rumor of possible better rods than maybe 01/02 (jury still out on that one, my 02 been bullet prove)

Looks Comfort and Speed ALL IN ONE KICK *** PACKAGE
Mid to Low 13's 100% stock, easy 12's for @ 1K, filter chip n pulley
and 11's for maybe 1K more

YOU WANT ONE HAPPY HUNTING

Old 11-09-2004 | 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Chainsaw13
Lightning's weren't hand built. They rolled down the same line as the regular F150.
True. SVT supposedly gives them a little more thorough testing for squeeks and rattles, but that's about all.

Old 11-10-2004 | 12:34 AM
|
Thumbs up

I should've known better... ask a group of enthusiasts if you should buy their car and of course they'll tell you yes. Hell, I'd still tell someone to buy an '01 or '02 Cougar as long as they aren't speed freaks.

Truth is, I am a speed freak, so as long as you guys are pretty confident in the reliability of the '03 and '04, then this thing is what I need for my cage fix. Hmmm... now how to convince my fiance that I need it (when we're already saving for a wedding)?!

So, back to my other question: does any one know what my final cost should be after the X-plan discount?

Old 11-10-2004 | 11:50 PM
|
I went to the dealer today and got an answer to my own question:

I'm in Denver/Boulder, Colorado, and the dealer told me the following for a new '04 Lightning:

MSRP: $33,560 (includes $795 destination and delivery)
Invoice: $29,751 (includes $795 destination and delivery)
A Plan: $28,728.77
X Plan: $30,027.92

Also, it appears there are no rebates, allowances, discounts, and/or incentive awards.

ronearp, if you're reading this, where do you live that you were able to get a X Plan price of $25,800 and an A Plan price of $24,047? Or were your prices on an '03?

Things are looking grim on the prospect of a new Lightning in my garage...

Old 11-11-2004 | 09:17 PM
I just bought my 04 Lightning a few weeks ago on the x-plan + $4000 rebate from Cali. It cost a little over $27000 w/ 6yr. warranty and scotch guard. It was $26147 without it. Im very happy w/ my purchase.....

Last edited by KUKS; 11-11-2004 at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply: On The Fence