Lightning

Power Has Been Restored!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004 | 12:19 AM
|
Power Has Been Restored!!!

In my previous post, I said how I lost boost, torque, and some low-midrange horsepower after installing a Magnaflow cat back. Well at the time it sounded so good that I just decided that I'd just deal with it. But I couldn't. I had the stock muffler put back on and the truck is back to being the animal it was before I messed with it. The boost just builds almost instantly again and the torque is back up. With the cat back, it felt as if I had to be at WOT to feel the truck haul @ss. But now all I need to give is about half throttle and it moves very well. I am sure some will disagree but I will never replace the stock Ford exhaust on my truck again nor would I ever recommend a cat back to anyone else. At least not for a stock truck. Well thanks for reading .

Old 11-11-2004 | 12:27 AM
Aww now, don't throw off on those cat-backs to bad. But im glad your happy now.

Old 11-11-2004 | 12:38 AM
|
No, I am not bashing cat backs. Sorry, I know it may seem that way but I'm not. It just wasn't right for my truck being stock IMO. I just started to feel like I HAD to get a pulley and chip just to make up for the loss. It felt slower than it did than when it was stock and I'm not ready to do the pulley/chip yet. I was starting to worry that a stock L would beat me. Yes, it did feel that much slower. I'm the kind of person that notices EVERY difference no matter if it's good, bad, big or small. And I made a big deal about it so that's why I changed back. Someone else would have just said "the hell with it, I'll just go get a pulley", while others may have not even noticed or cared. That's why it's hard being me. I AM NOT getting rid of it though. It'll go in the attic until the built block and Kenne Bell get here in about 6 years.

Old 11-11-2004 | 05:03 AM
email sent to you about your mag you took off? im interested in it and im in hollywood, email me back at stalian999@aol.com

Old 11-11-2004 | 10:37 AM
Originally posted by WideOpen03SVT
No, I am not bashing cat backs. Sorry, I know it may seem that way but I'm not. It just wasn't right for my truck being stock IMO. I just started to feel like I HAD to get a pulley and chip just to make up for the loss. It felt slower than it did than when it was stock and I'm not ready to do the pulley/chip yet. I was starting to worry that a stock L would beat me. Yes, it did feel that much slower. I'm the kind of person that notices EVERY difference no matter if it's good, bad, big or small. And I made a big deal about it so that's why I changed back. Someone else would have just said "the hell with it, I'll just go get a pulley", while others may have not even noticed or cared. That's why it's hard being me. I AM NOT getting rid of it though. It'll go in the attic until the built block and Kenne Bell get here in about 6 years.
I know you werent bashing them, I was just messing with you simply because I love my JDM Silver bullet so much. And I also could feel a bit of difference but still managed to run a 13.6 @101.15 mph with that being the only mod.

Old 11-11-2004 | 11:34 AM
Re: Power Has Been Restored!!!

Originally posted by WideOpen03SVT
. . . I will never replace the stock Ford exhaust on my truck again . . .
I agree. I regret having a single Magnaflow installed. No power loss, but I'm not happy with the sound. It is quiet enough at idle, but at WOT, it makes an ungodly whooshing noise that it not pleasant -- and certainly not stealthy. Sounds like a jet engine at WOT. Just a bunch of air without quality. More like a beetle than a Ferrari (the gold standard of exhaust notes).

When Monty (SpeedJunky) pulled up the other day, I noticed how nice it sounded at idle. When I asked what exhaust he had, he replied "stock." Sigh. Outsmarted myself again.

Don't get me wrong -- I love loud exhausts. Just not on my daily driver. Too high school/cop bait for my tastes.

Old 11-11-2004 | 02:14 PM
Funny I liked my Magnaflow. But to each his own. If everybody liked Benz, Ford's would not sell

Old 11-11-2004 | 06:22 PM
Glad that you are happy with your truck. That is most important. Everybody likes different things.

Old 11-11-2004 | 11:51 PM
Re: Re: Power Has Been Restored!!!

Originally posted by Tim Skelton
I agree. I regret having a single Magnaflow installed. No power loss, but I'm not happy with the sound. It is quiet enough at idle, but at WOT, it makes an ungodly whooshing noise that it not pleasant -- and certainly not stealthy. Sounds like a jet engine at WOT. Just a bunch of air without quality. More like a beetle than a Ferrari (the gold standard of exhaust notes).

When Monty (SpeedJunky) pulled up the other day, I noticed how nice it sounded at idle. When I asked what exhaust he had, he replied "stock." Sigh. Outsmarted myself again.

Don't get me wrong -- I love loud exhausts. Just not on my daily driver. Too high school/cop bait for my tastes.
I have the Borla cat-back and no problem with being too loud or loss of torque, it's a great long distance cruiser where noise is a concern and it's louder than stock at wot and has a mellow rumble around town.

Quick Reply: Power Has Been Restored!!!