Lightning

Steeda Dyno Tune. What do ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steeda Dyno Tune. What do ya think?

I called Steeda today about a dyno tune and they said that they do tune Lightnings on their Dynojet using Diablo sofware. Steeda must be good at tuning right? They seem to be the only reputable place around here that can dyno tune. I've always known them to be a little on the conservative side when it comes to tuning but I'd rather it be that than on the edge of disaster. Can anyone give me advice/opinion on this topic? Thanks. OH! The total cost would be $695 for 2 hours of dyno time or $545 if it only took one hour to get it tuned. The rep said it shouldn't be more than an hour so it seems more toward $545. And those prices include the price of the chip. The truck will have in all a CatBack, AIRAID and 4# pulley.

Old 11-25-2004, 12:13 AM
Call Paul at Razor's Edge Motorsports in Margate, Florida. His telephone number is 1 - 954 - 917 - 9200. He dyno tunes with a Mustang Dyno. It is superior to a dynojet. He is a Lightning expert. He just operated on mine a little while ago. He did a great job. Also, you might reconsider changing the exhaust. It is of little or no benefit unless you want a sound change.

Old 11-25-2004, 12:55 AM
Well the exhaust is a long story. First, I had the Magnaflow welded up and witnessed a power/boost LOSS. It sounded mean but was less impressive than the stock exhaust. So, I went and had the stock muffler welded back up and the power came back but when they welded the stock one back up, they had to remake the bend that goes from the driver's side cat to the muffler. From the factory, that is a 90 degree MANDREL bend. So being that they had to remake that bend without a mandrel, the bend crimps down to about 2 inch diameter. Me being the paranoid @ss that I am went back to the shop and had them order a 90 degree mandrel bend to replace the one they made so I figured while they were at it, they could put the Magnaflow back on and this time I'd compensate for the power loss with the chip and pulley because I did like the sound. What year is your truck? Are you completely satisfied with the tune Paul made for you and does he have something to monitor the Air/Fuel ratio? I just don't wanna blow my truck up over a few extra horses and I want my tuner to know EXACTLY what he's doing.

Old 11-25-2004, 01:54 AM
He is the best. He has evrything needed to do an excellent job and will answer any question you have concerning the risks or lack thereof of any modifications you wish to make. My truck is a 2000 and I am very pleased with the work Paul did for me. Be truthful about your driving style and habits when you speak to Paul. He is capable of creating a true custom tune that maximizes HP and torque, while at the same time adjusting the various settings to fit your driving personality. I was amazed at how acurrately he translated what I told him into settings that suit my needs. For instance, when I am driving around town, the truck shifts normally. When I put my foot into it ( of course within lawful bounds), the shifting changes to competition mode. He made a number of other adjustments that were perfect for me. I did a threshhold dyno run to establish a baseline. It took three dyno runs after that with Paul's fine tuning of the program to get it just right. Remember, each truck is a a little different. Your truck might be easier or harder to get the tune you want. Good luck!

Old 11-25-2004, 08:34 AM
He dyno tunes with a Mustang Dyno. It is superior to a dynojet.
FALSE!Either dyno does the same thing.the numbers are different but the outcome is the same.repeatablity is the big thing.If you get max numbers on on dyno [rpm] then the other dyno will or should have then in the same place. hp numbers might be different but the rpm ranges should be the same.STan

Old 11-25-2004, 08:41 AM
It is my understanding that the Mustang dyno has greater flexibility and can test under more variable conditions. For instance, the Mustang dyno tests with the weight of the vehicle figured into the results. It is my understanding that the Dynojet does not do this. I stand corrected if I am wrong.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:48 AM
I am sure that vehccile weight does not play into the hp the vehicle is making but what it can do is translate all that data into corrected numbers for accelation and such.Stan

Old 11-25-2004, 08:54 AM
I tend to drive my truck hard. I don't purposely try to beat on it but I have so much fun with it that I can't resist getting on the gas about twice a day. I hope the truck will live long enough for me to pay it off in 4 more years under these conditions.

Old 11-25-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by WideOpen03SVT
I tend to drive my truck hard. I don't purposely try to beat on it but I have so much fun with it that I can't resist getting on the gas about twice a day. I hope the truck will live long enough for me to pay it off in 4 more years under these conditions.
Twice a day..put a diaper on that things if your going to baby it!!
I run mine ALOT harder then that when I do drive it. Also I've made 250+ passes on it this season alone Still drives like new, except the tranny. I ordered a built one yesterday.

Old 11-25-2004, 01:23 PM
LOL! Glad to hear it.....that I drive easy to you. I guess that it was made for it after all but what mods do you have? Has it survived as long as it has with mods?

Old 11-25-2004, 05:02 PM
There is a rule of life that applies to adult vehicular toys and gambling in general. If you cannot afford to play, don't play.
In other words if you really are concerned about the four years of payments, you should be concerned about voiding the warranty with respect to the engine and transmission. It is also possible that your auto loan documents prohibit modification of the vehicle since modification could be construed as impairment of the collateral. It might be best if you removed your mods and learned to live with the stock performance. Just another way to look at the situation.

Old 11-25-2004, 06:49 PM
While you do make a valid point, it doesn't concern me to the point of worrying about the warranty. Even if I did have the money to go out and buy a built block if this one was to expire, I still would be worried about blowing it up simply because I don't want to go through pulling and replacing a motor in a truck that has only 18,000 miles on it. These trucks have a very small margin of error on the tune so I just want to be sure that I can get the best/safest tune the first time around without blowing the motor first.

Quick Reply: Steeda Dyno Tune. What do ya think?