Lightning

Electric fan kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004 | 11:38 PM
|
Electric fan kit

Hey how's it going! I am the owner of a Black '02 Lightning, and I am thinking of putting on an electric fan kit. I have the usual bolt-ons (Superchip, magnaflow ex., 4lb crank pulley, intake) and am now considering a Flex-a-lite double fan kit.

Anyone here have any experiences with this kit? Any better fan kit suggestions?

Old 11-25-2004 | 01:16 AM
I am running the Flex-a-Lite dual e-fans. They work good and their customer service is top notch.....Some say the install instructions are a little incomplete, maybe so but it's not all that difficult to figure out......JR

Old 11-25-2004 | 06:19 AM
Re: Electric fan kit

I installed the LFP kit and the instructions were excellent. I had to re-engineer the fuse fitting and add a 170 deg t'stat.

Originally posted by Overlord
Hey how's it going! I am the owner of a Black '02 Lightning, and I am thinking of putting on an electric fan kit. I have the usual bolt-ons (Superchip, magnaflow ex., 4lb crank pulley, intake) and am now considering a Flex-a-lite double fan kit.

Anyone here have any experiences with this kit? Any better fan kit suggestions?

Old 11-25-2004 | 10:19 AM
save your money and do it yourself. spend under $175.00 for a do it yourself, compared to over $400 for the same thing from a vendor.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...&highlight=fan

Old 11-25-2004 | 02:26 PM
Re: Re: Electric fan kit

Originally posted by Nuhklz
I installed the LFP kit and the instructions were excellent. I had to re-engineer the fuse fitting and add a 170 deg t'stat.
I'm fixing to purchase this kit myself. Why did you have to re-engineer the fuse fitting? Did you add the 170 tstat because it was running warmer with the efan?

Old 11-25-2004 | 02:42 PM
Re: Re: Re: Electric fan kit

Originally posted by 2000Black
I'm fixing to purchase this kit myself. Why did you have to re-engineer the fuse fitting? Did you add the 170 tstat because it was running warmer with the efan?
The wire from the fan to the a/c fuse has a clip which attaches to the fuse prong. When I used the clip, it wouldn't let the fuse seat properly and my a/c compressor wouldn't work. So, I wrapped the wire without the prong to the fuse and it worked perfectly.

With the stock t'stat the fan would not turn off once it came on. When I put in the 170, it started to cycle perfectly.

Old 11-25-2004 | 03:50 PM
I'll have to keep an eye on those issues. Thanks man!

Old 11-26-2004 | 10:20 AM
Cool

Welcome, Overlord !!

I installed the FAL-270 fan kit in my Lightning and all I can say is it is a top-notch kit.

Good controller, simple wiring, etc.

The fact that there are 2 fans, in a shroud that drops into the factory mounting points, sold the kit for me.

Looks like factory and no holes to drill, etc.

Be sure to solder all your connections and you will be good to go. Nice having all the clearance around the front of the engine too.

Old 11-26-2004 | 06:11 PM
Thumbs up Flex Kit

Exactly, I purchased the Flex fans because once they are installed they look like they came on the truck OEM. The fans have their own shroud , look, and work well. The fans are pricey but they are high quality and Flex offers excellent customer service. If money is not an issue then go with the Flex kit for sure. You can ask on this board if you have install questions as several people here have installed them. On my install I changed out the hex head screws and went with 10 mm bolts instead and would recommend this move to save on wearing out a set of wrists but all in all I am not dissapointed with the Flex kit.

Old 11-26-2004 | 06:16 PM
Originally posted by B-Man
Welcome, Overlord !!

I installed the FAL-270 fan kit in my Lightning and all I can say is it is a top-notch kit.

Good controller, simple wiring, etc.

The fact that there are 2 fans, in a shroud that drops into the factory mounting points, sold the kit for me.

Looks like factory and no holes to drill, etc.

Be sure to solder all your connections and you will be good to go. Nice having all the clearance around the front of the engine too.

Do you have a link for that kit?

Old 11-26-2004 | 06:43 PM
Old 11-26-2004 | 07:14 PM
Thanks. Did you find a good deal any particular place?

Old 11-29-2004 | 08:59 AM
LFP's comes with a plug and play wiring harness. No cutting, splicing, or brainwork needed on the electrical system.

Old 11-29-2004 | 09:27 AM
Overlord,

I'm using the FAL-270 as well.

I'm happy w/ the fit & function, also the wiring was straightforward.

Are you from Trinity as in NW of Tampa near Odessa ?
If so two things: Automotive Engineering on US19 sells the FAL kit for the same price you can find it for online and it is usually in stock and second there is a Tampa Bay area L' meet this Friday night that a couple of us w/ the FAL kit will be at if you want to see it first hand.

Here is the link to the post for it:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=176415

Old 11-29-2004 | 11:05 AM
|
Thanks for the replies everyone -
I probobly will go with the FAL fan kit soon, might be just a little bit more, today I'm hopefully going to get my new cervinis hood installed...So I'll probobly do the fan within the next couple months.

Quick Reply: Electric fan kit