Lightning

Recurring detonation issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recurring detonation issue

First, the mod list:
I have a 6# pulley, JLP intake, Brisk Plugs (GOR-17), 160F thermostat, Bassani catback, and some tunes from RWTD. I'm in the process of painting my newly accquired ported blower and a C&L intake, so it's not installed or even a contributer to my detonation issue.

I hired RWTD as my tuner , and had him create tunes for 4# towing, 4# street, 6# street, and 6# drag. I'm currently using the 6# street tune, which has a max of 16 degrees timing. RWTD has assured me that I shouldn't be worring about detonation during these cool nights we've been having (48-60F) while running good quality fuel (Chevron or Shell 93 octane), yet I can hear the pinging when at WOT or 3/4 throttle. Using the Predator, I've pulled timing back -10% and I still hear detonation. Now, assuming fuel quality is always good, and my fuel filter is clean on my 2002 Lightning, what could be causing the ping issue? My guess is the plugs, the Brisk GOR-17, are too hot for the amount of boost I'm running.

Does anybody else have any suggestions as to what may be causing the detonation?

Old 11-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Go to the HALO site and talk to Andre, since you are right here in Houston, he should be able to answer your questions.
www.haloblub.com

Old 11-25-2004, 06:31 PM
at the time when i was driving my truck in the colder temps i had the same problem 3/4 to wot pinging. about 40 degrees is the first time it happend . 6lb pulley denso 22s / i have a 4 program chip at the time i had sal make me a winter tune and no more problems what the timing was set at i dont know . i had since taken that winter tune out. talk to sal im sure he can hook you up

Old 11-25-2004, 07:59 PM
i had some similar isssues last winter. it was a burnt plug.

Quick Reply: Recurring detonation issue