Lightning

blew a piston threw the block!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holy cow, that was the first post ive done and im way impressed at the # of replies. and its all the guys iv been reading posts from for about 4 months. nice to talk to you all, this forum rocks. ive learned SOO much from you all. ill check back more often next time i post. any way it was about 65-70 degrees out i was coming up on a semi in the slow lane and i was just thinking of going around him ( im crusin about 70), i looked in my rear veiw and saw a crudstain gt coming up pretty fast but was far enough behind that i could punch it and pull away from him as i go around the semi. so thats what i did, he didnt let off the gas at all and i pulled away from him we were both doin about 100 when i started pulling away i took it to 120 and had so much room to keep going so i thought i would top her out or at least hit 140's since i never gone that fast in her yet. and about 135 she gernaded herself! worst day of my life.
i have never monitored the a/f ratios so dont know if that was a problem
never dynoed so i dont know what power i was pushin
oh and another thing i have a half of one of the pistons sitting on my coffee table and its supposed to be forged from the factory i thought, but it doesnt looked forged, on the fracture lines its shinny in spots and dull patches, wouldnt it all be shinny if it was forged?

Old 12-16-2004, 02:06 AM
well sorry to let every one down but i went with another stock block. i dont make enough $$ to get a built motor just yet. i just put a new intercooler in it like 3 days before i blew that motor and that set me back $700. i got a sweet deal though 3,200+ tax. the motor is sitting in the bay we're just waiting untill saturday to put it in, CANT WAIT. im not gonna let a blown motor get me down, i waited so long to get an L and i got the mod bug now im not gonna stop, one day ill put a built motor in it and a works 140 blower and then ill hopfully see some of you guys at the track!

Old 12-16-2004, 04:36 AM
You will need to get it tuned as soon as the new motor goes in or you will blow this one up also. Give Dean at SVC motorsports a call like hyvltge suggested. Their site is www.svcmotorsports.com. AZ has there own site also www.azloc.com

Old 12-16-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by ak2azyz4ever
about 135 she gernaded herself! worst day of my life.
I think we have a new World Record,

Worlds Fastest MPH L, when the Motor exploded
Congrats Bro, WOO HOO..............................

ak2azyz4ever, I'm just trying to cheer you up, my heart goes out to you, (you know that). Nothing sucks worse than this NOW I HAVE NO CHOICE Mod : o (

I may not have blown mine, BUT I AM spending a lot of money I DO NOT HAVE on having it built now, BEFORE it happened, AND I KNOW IT WOULD HAVE

BUT

THINK OF THE FUTURE, AND WHAT YOU'LL HAVE NEXT TIME YOU DRIVE IT

Old 12-16-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by ak2azyz4ever
well sorry to let every one down but i went with another stock block. i dont make enough $$ to get a built motor just yet. i just put a new intercooler in it like 3 days before i blew that motor and that set me back $700. i got a sweet deal though 3,200+ tax. the motor is sitting in the bay we're just waiting untill saturday to put it in, CANT WAIT. im not gonna let a blown motor get me down, i waited so long to get an L and i got the mod bug now im not gonna stop, one day ill put a built motor in it and a works 140 blower and then ill hopfully see some of you guys at the track!
Did you get a short block or a long block for that price>??? I hope you didn't pay that much for a short block! Please let us know. -Mat-

Old 12-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by B-Man
JLP has a Christmas special on a short block for $3400...

Original JLP Christmas Special Thread ??

This is what you need... Sorry to hear about your problems, now this time do it right...............

PEacE...............
Jim

Last edited by Blown93; 12-16-2004 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:10 PM
i paid 3,200 for the LONG block. came with everything from the intake manifold down, including an oil pan and oil filter

Old 12-16-2004, 05:24 PM
sorry to hear about your troubles.

but a long highspeed run on an untuned engine? i'd be suprised if it didnt blow.

what kind of power should he have been making w/ those mods?

Old 12-16-2004, 06:24 PM
im curious about what kind of power i should have seen my self...

Old 12-16-2004, 08:11 PM
Key on a high speed run if your running alot more boost than stock, is to keep the throttle open just enough to keep boost at 8psi no more than stock (watch your boost guage). Theory is your not putting any more load as far as boost goes on the engine than stock, just takes a few seconds longer to peg the speedometer.

Old 12-16-2004, 11:22 PM
Get it tuned right, I have never liked the Predator. A friend blew up his motor with one, and later on fried his sparkplugs. If you have any trouble around the El Centro area im here to help out.

Old 12-17-2004, 12:24 AM
Nothing wrong with the Predator, so long as you don't totally rely on the canned "pulley tune". For some mods, the pulley tune works just fine, but you still need to verify the results on a dynamometer. JLP built a custom Predator tune for my truck and the A/F peaks at 12.2.

The only way to know if you have a safe tune is to put it on the dyno and check the results. Real time datalogging via the diagnostic port can also be instrumental in building a safe tune. Installing major mods and changing the tune without monitoring the end results is a recipe for disaster.

Old 12-17-2004, 02:17 AM
hey lokosvt, wish i knew you when my motor was blown i was just out of Yuma away from El Centro when i blew the motor. if for some reason Dean dosnt pull threw on the stock pulley i might just have to take you up on your offer for the stock pulley for like 1500 or 2000 miles

Old 12-17-2004, 02:20 AM
to AZBLACKMONSOON thanks for the high speed tip, sounds like fun, ill be giving that a try when i break my motor in, btw have you pegged your spedo??

Quick Reply: blew a piston threw the block!