Lightning

Interstate run in!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005 | 01:35 AM
|
Interstate run in!

I've read many threads on this forum but never posted one. I just bought my first L two weeks ago after lusting over them for years. I got a dark shadow gray 04' with tinted windows, vent shades, spray in bedliner, and all chrome badges. It only has 8000 miles. Bone stock with the exception of an oem replacement K&N air filter. I'm not really a racer or a track runner but I had to post about today. I was on my way to work ( i live above Knoxville, TN) and climbing up the interstate ramp I see a black L going by, 01' model I think. I quickly caught up to him and we played tag for a few miles then when traffic cleared we ran from about 50mph. Either I jumped him or he didn't go WOT because by 120mph i had 6-8 lengths on him. I cracked the window and gave him thumb up as I got off my exit and he went on. Really cool experience for me. I've had a few chances with other sports cars but never really felt compelled until today. I'm older, married with a child, and don't need any tickets. That was one of the factors that enabled the L purchase, clean MVR, so the insurance stayed right. The Lightning is perfect for me. A high performance vehicle you can still pull a boat with or haul off the trash. As many of you obviously are, I am becoming obsessed with this truck! I really don't want to Mod because I've got a whole lot of warranty left (5yr 100,000 mile) but it's cool to read what everybody's doing to their trucks and what's all available. One thing I want to address is the oil blowby problem. From what I've read on here it's pretty common. I checked my TB and saw no evidence but I'll keep an eye on it. Has anyone tried a thicker synthetic? Everyone seems to be using really light weight oils. I work in a powerhouse around massive pumps and turbines and it just makes since that it's not actual oil entering the intake but oil vapor or mist, a thicker oil will retain it's stability at high temps and not vaporize or mist as easy......Anyway,I hope to post some pictures soon. Thanks for reading and keep all the great posts coming.

Old 01-15-2005 | 01:50 AM
welcome! Your truck sounds pretty sharp, i bet the tinted windows look good on a DSG.
peace

Old 01-15-2005 | 08:33 AM
I don't think going to a thicker oil will help the oil in the TB problem any. Which powerhouse do you work at? I worked at one in Kingston in '03.

Old 01-15-2005 | 10:17 AM
|
Originally posted by Frank S
I don't think going to a thicker oil will help the oil in the TB problem any. Which powerhouse do you work at? I worked at one in Kingston in '03.
I work at John Sevier in Rogersville. Unit Operator. I know a lot of guys from Kingston. I actually grew up in Kingston. Nice to meet you Frank S. So have you installed anything on your truck to remedy or ease the oil blowby. I can make a seperator fairly easy but I was looking at the replacement pcv kit.

Old 01-15-2005 | 10:53 AM
well congrats on the L... you will love it... keep that warranty!!! if you got the case of the mod bug, go for bling... rims, hoods, center consoles, etc and save the performance for later

although I belive things like exhaust, filters, etc dont void it.... so could do some work there...

Old 01-15-2005 | 11:07 AM
Welcome ! Good luck with your new ride !

Old 01-15-2005 | 11:23 AM
Enjoy your new truck,
It will keep a smile on your face

Old 01-15-2005 | 11:29 AM
Welcome! I live in Tennessee to. Congrats on you new ride!

Old 01-15-2005 | 01:41 PM
Congratulations and Welcome from another ol' fart .

Dan

Old 01-15-2005 | 02:57 PM
HEH HEH HEH ... Welcome ... The old farts are taking over finally!!!

Old 01-15-2005 | 03:54 PM
Congrats on the new ride!

Old 01-15-2005 | 04:09 PM
Congratulations on getting a Lightning. The options that I am looking into for the oil problem are the Lightning Enterprise PCV kit, the Lightning Force Performance Oil Seperator, or the Greddy Oil Catch Can. I already have the PCV kit, not installed yet.

Quick Reply: Interstate run in!