Lightning

safe horsepower for stock block

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005 | 09:10 PM
|
safe horsepower for stock block

I see swapping the blower makes alot more horsepower

Other mods also make more horsepower.

So what mods make SAFE horsepower?? What I mean is what mods don't put the engine in danger of being blown up.

I am confused because in my eyes, no matter what you do, the more HP u make the more stress you put on the stock block.

Am I wrong here?? Are there mods that make more HP and also make the engine 'safer' or just as safe from grenading??

Please clarify.

On the side note.. just how much HP and TQ can a stock block make while not being in danger!!??

Old 01-29-2005 | 09:44 PM
Former Sponsor
Really there are a few things you need to do to keep the stock block together.

The tune is 110% key!! Dyno tune is a must!

Keep boost levels low, which aftermarket blower are you going with.

Full exhaust always helps relieve pressure in the cylinders.

As for power levels 460-470 with street fuel and 500 race fuel.

Safe horsepower level to not worry about hurting the motor. There really is none but if you do everything right you go make the numbers above safely.

JimIII@JDM

Old 01-29-2005 | 11:29 PM
|
Well that kind of answers my questions..

Let me rephrase a bit though....

Which mods promote HP and TQ while helping the engine from exploding.

I know tune fixes potential problems.. but for example you said:

Full Exhaust helps with the pressure release.. I would think that also gives HP and helps the engine out.

Would a colder air charge be beneficial?? I read so much about cold temps causing an explosion that I am scared to try something as simple as put a fan on my aftercooler (?? the thing that is mounted behind the bumper for the intercooler ?? is that right??)

Do you see where I am going with this

Old 01-29-2005 | 11:49 PM
You want to do things to make your engine more efficiant, or less taxing on it, to make it safer to run high horsepower. Think about things like a good intercooler or maybe a powercooler. Electric fan gets rid of a lot of rotating mass, wich makes more power and creates less stress on your engine. As Jim said, the exhaust helps lower back pressure, wich will help out. A dyno tune, keep a good eye on your plugs, that sort of thing. A more efficiant blower, will create less heat, wich helps. I like the idea of the MP because its not overly agressive, but still makes mad boost/power...good choice for the stock block. Also, change your fuel filter often. A LOT of it is how you treat it too. While "kick downs" from 60mph produce a large smile, they are also very hard on your engine, because it drops to 2nd gear, and gets all sorts of nasty. Don't drive hard in the cold weather. Use good gas. Use good oil. Change it often. Those are the sorts of things that will help you have a high hp motor, and still get plenty of miles out of it.

JimIII Dude...I just noticed that you posted at 9 something on a saturday night. I know its a family bussiness, but damn boy, shouldn't you be out chasing tail or something?????

Last edited by whip; 01-29-2005 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2005 | 12:03 AM
I think the major concern is detonation. That will destroy your engine.

To help prevent detonation you want to keep the combustion chamber as cool as possible.

1. Headers and Freer flowing exhaust help remove the HOT exhaust valves.

2. Running RICHER will keep the engine running cooler

3. Cooler Spark Plugs.. (tr-6 or cooler br-7)

4. I have a slightly cooler thermostat

5. **MOST IMPORTANT** a DYNO TUNE is essential, as compared to a generic mail order tune.

6. a clean Intercooler (they get coated with oil) will help pull some temp from the a/f mixture.

Perhaps others will add more

Old 01-30-2005 | 08:22 AM
I have always used a "rule of thumb" on this subject. Even before I was an engineer I heard the old cogers at the track saying this.

If your wanting to keep a street car from breaking? Don't go past a *35% power increase*.

Since those days, I've learned that we in Motown design everything to the advertised hp ratings plus a little safety factor.

Rich

Quick Reply: safe horsepower for stock block