Lightning

Z06 vs. My Slightly Modded '04 L...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by B-Man
Thanks !! Not rude at all. But it raises a question, at least in my mind:

While it appears that the Mustang Dyno could be the better tool for tuning an engine across the entire RPM range (due to the loading capabilities and what-not) it still does not take into account a simple premise:

Horsepower: A measure of the rate of work. 33,000 pounds lifted one foot in one minute. 550 pounds lifted one foot in one second. 746 watts of electrical power. Lifting 3300 pounds ten feet in one minute. All of these examples are measurements of 1 horsepower. Period. Forget loading, forget inertia, etc. It is a set amount of "work" being performed.

That being said, the amont of "work" performed by an engine spinning a drum of known weight, up to a known speed, in a known amount of time, should result in the same raw horsepower calculation, regardless of design type or manufacturer.

Making measurements without basing them on known standards is like not measuing at all. For example, in electricity, the Volt is a measurement:

The meter-kilogram-second (MKS) unit of electromotive force. The potential difference between two points in an electric field such that one JOULE of work moves a charge of one COULOMB between these points. The electrical force that, if steadily applied to a circuit with a resistance of one OHM, will produce a current of one AMPERE.

Very well defined (like horsepower) and you can measure it with a digital meter or an analog meter or with a current meter and the measurement will ALWAYS be the same (provided the measuring devices are all properly calibrated, of equal accuracy, etc.).

Am I missing something, or am I just too ignorant to understand this??
I think you're exactly right B-Man. I've always thought the same thing.

Without knowing the exact formulas and corrections that DynoJet and Mustang use, it's tough to know why they would be different.

One thing - because the Mustang has the loading equipment attached, it may have more drag in the system. If not accounted for, it would lower the numbers...

Old 02-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to say it. But your gonna get spanked if he launches it 1/2 way decent.

I consider my truck to be very quick only having a 4# lower and ported eaton. (all my mods listed on my web page)

Last fall I ran a bone stock Z06. I ran a 12.5 @ 111mph (with 11.5" wide ET streets) to his 12.6 on stock tires. He got me off the tree and won the race becauase of my slow RT. But I'll tell you this. That bloody car was pullin me like a freight train on the big end. I pulled him off the line pretty good, he stuck 2nd and held the distance. 3rd and he was gaining a bit. That old boy stuck 4th and it's like I threw out a 2000lb anchor into a mud pit.

If the guy had not cut a 2.0 60ft to my 1.8 I'd have lost big. I most definately have a new found respect for Z06s.

Rich

Old 02-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by OCSSleeper

I was stating that I can edge out a Z06 from a dig. I have 315's on the rear of my car and more gear than a Z06 so there for I can launch better than any diver with a Z06 I have come accross to date. My driving could be improved but It's getting to be pretty consistant 1.8XX's on street rubber. I know they can take me from a role. But yes like I said a majority of Corvette owners drive/launch like retards. ALso were are you guys getting your info? Z06's are fast but not quite as fast as most of you might think. I have yet to actually hear or see a bone stock 11 sec slip. Maybe a bolt-on Z06 yes but bone stock..............I don't know about that and I'm a hard core chevy man at heart. Not only et but trap. Most stock Z06 on LS1tech and other forums trap 110-115........118 sounds too high possible with bolt-ons or some N20!
1.8xx 60' times are excellent.

I'm not saying that its _common_ for them to run those times (11.8-11.9 are the fastest), but there are a couple in Houston and a couple back in the Northeast that have run those times... stock. This is probably less than 1% of the cars given that these 2-3 individuals are awesome drivers, and they race at tracks which are definitely considered "fast".

From what I've seen and been around, most are running low-12s @ 115-116. But again this can vary depending upon driver, track, and weather conditions. As I said in a previous post, there are some that do well to run low-13s b/c of poor driving skills.

I had a small shot of nitrous on my Z06 at one time and it trapped 128. Headers, cam, intake and they'll easily do 121-123. Any of them running slower than 112 are either poor drivers or they are racing at high altitude or in the heat.

You can find all this info at z06vette.com.

Old 02-04-2005, 12:08 PM
I am no expert on the dyno's and their differences, I just saw your Mustang Dyno numbers and asked the question. I know this subject has been run ino the ground on losts of boards so I am not trying to contribute to that at all. Sorry for the hijack as well.

As for the Z06, there was one at the track last weekend running 13.2 - 13.4's with a 2+ 60 foot. He said he was spinnin' on street tires. I would say that if your guy can drive or has traction, it may not be good.

Old 02-04-2005, 02:28 PM
A ZO-6 has us out-powered with power-to-weight. If you can run him from a dead stop, and you have decent tires, and he is a lousy driver, you stand a slight chance. I wouldn't get too wound up on trying to beat one, considering the difference in vehicles. Those are also lighter than standard Vettes.

Otherwise, throw a 75-100 shot on your truck w/out him knowing it. That should do it. Otherwise, just act like you expect to lose, and he will be surprised how well you do.

On dyno, the dyno jet calculates based upon how fast you spool up the rollers. I don't think that the figures are mistaken because the dyno does not take into consideration the effort to keep your vehicle moving. It simply only cares how fast you are able to spool up those weighted drums. If there is 10 HP difference between the two types of dynos, that's not too significant, probably not enough to argue about.

Last edited by Blown347Hatch; 02-04-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't want to embarrass the brotherhood, you know ??
I say race him anyway!!!!! No shame in losing to a Z06...that is one bad a$$ car.....stock.

If he chokes on the launch, and you beat him, even by a tenth of a second.......he will be horrified that he got beat by a truck......and run to the nearest bridge and jump off.......

maybe

Old 02-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Race Him!!

I say race him. Like the others have said, there is no shame in losing to a stout car like the Z06.

Since he has no track time, he is likely to suck at getting off the line. It's much different than the street. You might be suprised at how you do against him.

I raced a Z06 at Bandimere in Denver... and I won. I think it was an '01 which might be a little slower. He was a rookie driver and I've been racing for 15 years, so he didn't react or get off the line well. The altitude also seemed to effect his car more than my truck. I've just got a lower pulley, predator, and K&N.

Good luck!
Greg

Old 02-05-2005, 02:07 AM
ZO6's vs L's

I run a buddy in his blue 02' ZO6 every other weekend and has run as quick as 12.29 at 116 w/ a (2.1 60ft) and he just has a catback and lid

When we race from a dig I jump out as much as 3 cars and by 100-110 he has reeled me in like i was standing still:o

Dont race from a roll or you'll look like an idiot, been there done that.

I'm at 463/530 on 93 octane street tune and have traction issues aswell

Ohwell, after spring I'll see a built bottom go in and then will see how we fair against one another when the Mag is pushin 22#'s on the street plus a little 75 Zex shot if it gets to close for comfort

Z06 who? not me

Old 02-05-2005, 10:04 AM
quit BSing........race him!

If you can hook is the question......

from a dead stop, you will leave him ......

when he see's this, he may panic and mat the Vette....
thus resulting in spinnage....or spin on 1st to 2nd shift.

...this is especially true if he is not a racer, or a good gear banger.

odds are he will run you down at the end of the 1/4, but
you might fluster him enough that he over tachs or does
dumb stuff trying hard to beat you.

What does it really matter if he beats you, or just barely
beats you at the end.....he paid $50k...to your $30k
and like stated he weighs 1600lbs less that your "truck"

Who is he really going to brag that hard to about beating you?

Goodluck and don't sweat it....your truck sounds pretty quick.
at least 12.8s....a guy at my local track, who has been there
at least 10 times with his son has an 02 Z06....runs
consistent 12.7s and squeaks 40s & 50s occassionally.

Odds are your guy's lack of experience will hurt him.

Don't sweat it RACE HIM!

Old 02-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Ask him to pop the hood he just might have a turbo kit that is badass. goodluck!

Old 02-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Re: Z06 vs. My Slightly Modded '04 L...

Originally posted by B-Man
OK. Here's the scoop:

Guy in my office has a '02 Z06, supposedly factory.

Swears up & down it runs 11's @ 128 in the 1/4.

When I challenged him about that, he backed off a bit and then started into "I've beat XX # of Lightnings, a bunch of Cobras, bunch of Mustang GT's, etc."

He had a page torn out of C&D that had performance specs, etc. When I showed him (on HIS page) the '02 Z06 ran a 12.47 @ 108, he went "Oh ??".

So, I want to take him to Bradenton and run him. I've got a 4# lower, JLP CAI, C&L pipe, 160* thermostat, Predator tune from Sam @ Coastal, FTVB, Electric Fans, Magnaflow cat-back, JLP traction bars, DS loop.

Mustang dyno'd at 387 HP and 485 TQ, before the Magnaflow exhaust.

How bad will he beat me ??

TIA...
i think this is fantastick...15 years ago who would have even thought of running a vett with a truck....these things cool or what

Old 02-05-2005, 10:47 PM
I've run one at the track, he launched poorly and ran me down at about the 300ft mark, upper 11's low 12's all day, you'd have a hard time holding him off with simple bolt ons.

Old 02-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by SMOKINTRUCK#1
Ask him to pop the hood he just might have a turbo kit that is badass. goodluck!
Not if its a Lingenfelter turbo kit. It takes a trained eye and someone willing to poke around a little to even see it. Otherwise it just looks like an aftermarket air inlet tube and some shorty headers on a stock LS6 engine.

But your point is well taken. However, I think this guy is just full of hot-air if he thinks his "stock" Z06 runs 128mph through the traps.

Old 02-06-2005, 08:53 AM
I ran one yesterday at the track. WA 2 FAST is spot on-you can get them out of the hole, but they are just too strong on the second half of the track. I somehow pulled a 1.94 on F-1's with a JLP CAI only, and held him off until half track where he proceeded to pass me like I was standing still. His 60' was a 2.2X, so I know traction was a problem. That thing impressed me on the top end though-they are stout.

Scott

*edit*

He ended up running a 12.58 with the best weather we will have here all year. The car was definitely capable of a 12.30 with decent traction.

Last edited by swiseuf; 02-06-2005 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by swiseuf
I ran one yesterday at the track. WA 2 FAST is spot on-you can get them out of the hole, but they are just too strong on the second half of the track. I somehow pulled a 1.94 on F-1's with a JLP CAI only, and held him off until half track where he proceeded to pass me like I was standing still. His 60' was a 2.2X, so I know traction was a problem. That thing impressed me on the top end though-they are stout.

Scott

*edit*

He ended up running a 12.58 with the best weather we will have here all year. The car was definitely capable of a 12.30 with decent traction.
Their MPH is the L killer.

Quick Reply: Z06 vs. My Slightly Modded '04 L...