Lightning

Z06 vs. My Slightly Modded '04 L...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Z06 vs. My Slightly Modded '04 L...

OK. Here's the scoop:

Guy in my office has a '02 Z06, supposedly factory.

Swears up & down it runs 11's @ 128 in the 1/4.

When I challenged him about that, he backed off a bit and then started into "I've beat XX # of Lightnings, a bunch of Cobras, bunch of Mustang GT's, etc."

He had a page torn out of C&D that had performance specs, etc. When I showed him (on HIS page) the '02 Z06 ran a 12.47 @ 108, he went "Oh ??".

So, I want to take him to Bradenton and run him. I've got a 4# lower, JLP CAI, C&L pipe, 160* thermostat, Predator tune from Sam @ Coastal, FTVB, Electric Fans, Magnaflow cat-back, JLP traction bars, DS loop.

Mustang dyno'd at 387 HP and 485 TQ, before the Magnaflow exhaust.

How bad will he beat me ??

TIA...

Old 02-03-2005, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have almost the same power #'s as you and the best I managed was a 12.76/108.8 (with cold air). So, I'd say you'd lose by atleast 4 car lengths.
Bryan

Old 02-03-2005, 06:11 PM
i read in a C&D, when it was compared, a Z06 and a Ferrari 550 maranello, that the only difference in the 2 cars, was that the Z06 was slower by .1 sec in the 0-60. So IMO, the winner of a race between the 2 would be up to the diriver. Just remember, if you can take a Ferrari, you cna take that Z06.

Another thing to take into consideration, is the driving skills. A lot of SRT-10 drivers are racing Lightnings and losing nowadays because they don't know how to drive their trucks. If this guy brags about his Z06, he probaly doesnt know how to drive it. A lightning owner knows he's better than everybody else and doesnt talk about how much booty he can kick out there on the road. the side and back badges speak for themselves.

I say watch him drive, see how he shifts. if he seems amaetueur, and you got some power behind your wheels, then I'd take him up on it

Old 02-03-2005, 06:24 PM
I don't know where Hurricane Alley is (I assume in the SE), but here in N. Texas on a day where we were racing at an effective 500' Density Altitude, my _stock_ '02 Z06 (rated at 405hp) ran 12.36 @ 116mph on stock tires. The car dyno'd at 350rwhp stock w/ 1100 miles on it.

No way his car runs 11s at 128mph, unless he has a decent shot of nitrous or something. It will take ~480-500rwhp for a 3150lb Z06 to run that type of trap speed.

My Lightning makes about the same power as yours and my times are in my sig (on street tires, no slicks).

He should beat you in a full 1/4 mile race, but if he gets nervous and smokes the tires for 100-200' (which is entirely possible) then he'll run a low-13 and you'll hold him off all the way down the track.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:37 PM
A friend of mine has a stock Z06, I have a 6# pulley, CAI, FTVB, and a predator tune. I raced him several times last fall at the strip. I beat him pretty good till 1/2 track when he passed me.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:41 PM
GO FROM A DIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just a suggestion he will kill you from a roll at what ever speed. My camaro in a sig can edge a 405hp Z06 on the street, times are in sig, plus most guys who drive corvettes drive like retards. But don't get me wrong those cars haul axx! Launching really good right now is your only chance. Oh, and one more thing race when its cold, he needs a hot street for traction more than you!

Old 02-03-2005, 08:42 PM
B-Man,
Where are you located? Sam does all the work on my truck. I dynoed OVER 400 rwhp and I can't take a Z06. From a dead stop...you can take him till about the 1/8 mile...then...it's goodbye. They are quick....and light! I know it isn't the news you want...just my .02

Old 02-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Re: Z06 vs. My Slightly Modded '04 L...

Originally posted by B-Man
Mustang dyno'd at 387 HP and 485 TQ, before the Magnaflow exhaust.
I have a question, if you use the 21% "correction" for a Mustang to Dyno Jet your numbers would be 468 horse and 586 torque.

Is this correct??

Old 02-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Cool

I am in Tampa ("Hurricane Alley" seemed appropriate after last years thrashing...).

I wouldn't think it is a 21% difference between a Mustang and a DynoJet, if both are calibrated properly. I'm still waiting for a reasonable explanation as to why 2 machines designed to measure 2 variables (HP & TQ) are so far apart ??

As far as Z06 boy is concerned, further discussions informed me that:

A. He has never ran it on a track, and

B. The 11 second times he is quoting are from magazine / bench racing discussions.

I would not be surprised if he beat me... he's around 1600 lbs. lighter. I did not realize the Z06 was so light!

Anyway, I'm going to change to a 6 lb. pulley and get her re-tuned with the new exhaust and maybe an Accufab.

Art-Man and I went to Sam and he tuned both trucks. With virtually the same mods (except he has a 6# and I have a 4# and he had exhaust and I didn't) his truck made 25 ft. lbs. more torque 800 RPM earlier than mine. He made 405 HP on the Mustang dyno (18 more than me) as well. However, we did not dyno on the same day (couple of weeks apart).

Sam told me that I needed a tensioner on my blower belt and to change the exhaust and that he thought it would put me in the 400/500 club.

So, I have the Magnaflow, but have not bought the tensioner or the Accufab yet...

I am not obsessed with this, I'm just tired of his mouth. I bought the exhaust for me, as well as all the other parts.

Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't want to embarrass the brotherhood, you know ??

Old 02-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Good luck bro!! I hope you can shut him up. I thought they were like 12.80 cars at best, darn I hate being wrong!! Try and tree him, if he's new to the track it shouldn't be hard. Who ever get's the yellow light on top wins!! Then post copies of the time slip all around the office!!
Bryan

Old 02-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by bglanden
Good luck bro!! I hope you can shut him up. I thought they were like 12.80 cars at best, darn I hate being wrong!! Try and tree him, if he's new to the track it shouldn't be hard. Who ever get's the yellow light on top wins!! Then post copies of the time slip all around the office!!
Bryan
They are low-13 second cars with idiot drivers.

Some guys in the northeast (Englishtown, NJ or Atco) have run high-11s @ 118mph bone stock. But no one in Florida will run that... too hot, too humid.

A good driver in a stock '02+ Z06 will certainly run low-12s with some seat time.

OCSSleeper... if your mid-12 second Camaro can beat a stock Z06 on the street, then the driver of the Vette is not driving the car very hard. I'm not saying your car isn't fast, but given that you trap ~113+ I cannot imagine you pulling ahead from a roll...at least not with someone as good as you driving the Z.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by B-Man
I wouldn't think it is a 21% difference between a Mustang and a DynoJet, if both are calibrated properly. I'm still waiting for a reasonable explanation as to why 2 machines designed to measure 2 variables (HP & TQ) are so far apart ??
Some food for thought:

Mustang MD250 vs. Dynojet 248C
Dynojet 248C is actually an accelerometer whereby it uses a 3000-3200 pound drum that is used to create an inertia load on the vehicle being tested. The vehicle's horsepower (HP) and torque try to overcome the weight/inertia of the drum to accelerate it. As a result the software and electronics try to measure the horsepower and torque that the vehicle is developing to overcome the drum's weight and inertia. The resulting horsepower and torque will be higher than a true loading dyno because once the drum starts rolling not as much power is needed to keep it going. Example -- When pushing a car on a flat road, once the car starts moving not as much power (effort) is needed to keep it going. The software does not ask for vehicle weight or anything like horsepower needed to maintain 50 MPH (a number that is actually put out by E.P.A. and N.H.T.S.A.).

The Mustang MD250 dyno is a true loading dyno, because it uses an inertia weight as well as an eddy current motor that is attached to the rollers. This eddy current motor creates a drag on the shaft by way of electricity that causes a magnetic field to try and overcome the torque going through the roller shafts. This current is controlled by software that is always trying to simulate load as if the car is driving in real world conditions. The real benefit from the loading dyno is the ability to maintain a load that allows a tuner to properly go through a fuel map or ignition map and tune the chip for optimum horsepower and torque. It has the ability to also simulate the IM240 emissions test as required in some states. It can check 1/4 mile times as well as times for 0-60 MPH and 0-100 MPH. It can also be used for road testing and simulation for drivability problems. As a result of the loading capability, the dyno numbers from a mustang dyno will come out lower than the inertia (dynojet) dyno. Further information can be seen at www.mustangdyne.com

http://www.aatuning.com/dyno/MustangVsDynojet.asp

Not trying to be rude at all, just trying to be informative.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:09 AM
OCSSleeper... if your mid-12 second Camaro can beat a stock Z06 on the street, then the driver of the Vette is not driving the car very hard. I'm not saying your car isn't fast, but given that you trap ~113+ I cannot imagine you pulling ahead from a roll...at least not with someone as good as you driving the Z.
-WA 2 FST

I was stating that I can edge out a Z06 from a dig. I have 315's on the rear of my car and more gear than a Z06 so there for I can launch better than any diver with a Z06 I have come accross to date. My driving could be improved but It's getting to be pretty consistant 1.8XX's on street rubber. I know they can take me from a role. But yes like I said a majority of Corvette owners drive/launch like retards. ALso were are you guys getting your info? Z06's are fast but not quite as fast as most of you might think. I have yet to actually hear or see a bone stock 11 sec slip. Maybe a bolt-on Z06 yes but bone stock..............I don't know about that and I'm a hard core chevy man at heart. Not only et but trap. Most stock Z06 on LS1tech and other forums trap 110-115........118 sounds too high possible with bolt-ons or some N20!

Old 02-04-2005, 06:19 AM
Cool

Originally posted by hyvltge
...<Snip>Not trying to be rude at all, just trying to be informative...<snip>
Thanks !! Not rude at all. But it raises a question, at least in my mind:

While it appears that the Mustang Dyno could be the better tool for tuning an engine across the entire RPM range (due to the loading capabilities and what-not) it still does not take into account a simple premise:

Horsepower: A measure of the rate of work. 33,000 pounds lifted one foot in one minute. 550 pounds lifted one foot in one second. 746 watts of electrical power. Lifting 3300 pounds ten feet in one minute. All of these examples are measurements of 1 horsepower. Period. Forget loading, forget inertia, etc. It is a set amount of "work" being performed.

That being said, the amont of "work" performed by an engine spinning a drum of known weight, up to a known speed, in a known amount of time, should result in the same raw horsepower calculation, regardless of design type or manufacturer.

Making measurements without basing them on known standards is like not measuing at all. For example, in electricity, the Volt is a measurement:

The meter-kilogram-second (MKS) unit of electromotive force. The potential difference between two points in an electric field such that one JOULE of work moves a charge of one COULOMB between these points. The electrical force that, if steadily applied to a circuit with a resistance of one OHM, will produce a current of one AMPERE.

Very well defined (like horsepower) and you can measure it with a digital meter or an analog meter or with a current meter and the measurement will ALWAYS be the same (provided the measuring devices are all properly calibrated, of equal accuracy, etc.).

Am I missing something, or am I just too ignorant to understand this??

Old 02-04-2005, 07:04 AM
B-Man
don't think your missing it
I think the differance in preferance, is not the HP#s per say.
the differance is the ability to add the simulated areodynamic drag etc. your vehicle sees in real life. and tune accordingly, also the ability to do accurate full simulated 1/4 mi. runs, you can get a full picture of what your vehicle is doing, and when, for tweaking your tune
It's a can of worms to say the least

Quick Reply: Z06 vs. My Slightly Modded '04 L...