Lightning

roll cage question. (do rules require)...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005 | 12:42 AM
Originally posted by fomocofan
Sal, you're arguement for not making rules that aren't in the book should be directed to Tim!

I am making no rules, only following them as the appear in the IHRA rulebook...

I realize there is a difference between IHRA/NHRA, but you called me wrong for my simply stating the IHRA rules here!

I am not wrong for relaying their rules here, it was clearly a mistake to think that anyone here would want to actually know the rules!

But, I made no claims...made up no rules...or changed anything....just simply gave the IHRA rules, which clearly you were unaware of.....but instead of asking me about this, you acused me of being wrong...
I am not saying that i cannot be wrong or that I am egotistical at all, I am just saying that I have nothing to do with IHRA rules, so it's not me thats wrong!
I said you were wrong because you are. I know the rules, even without an IHRA rulebook in front of me. You have been proven wrong in this thread many times. You are the only one who doesn't see that. You have asked for all this proof, and we have all given it to you. But you have not acknowledged any of our legitimate replies. You just keep repeating the same thing you've said for 10 pages over and over again as your defense, even after being proved wrong.

I have never had a problem with you Jamie, and I still have no hard feelings after all this. This is what the internet is great for, debates and discussions. If this were a thread about billet grilles or seat covers, I'd never have joined in. But when it comes to people's safety, I will not pull any punches. We are here to have fun with our trucks, SAFELY. Even if your rulebook doesn't mention rear bars, it was a poor decision to suggest what you did. And you have to admit that it's a little ironic that a guy with a "correct" bar in his truck is telling people they don't have to run rear bars.

Old 02-11-2005 | 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
Show me where it says that in the pages posted.

fomocofan

Vehicle: 2000 Ford Lightning

Guys, I am not argueing anything! I am simply saying what is IHRA legal! I have said ten times on here...It is not my opinion, but FACTS to answer the question...Are rear bars required? No they are not!!!

IHRA rukebook 2005:

All roll bars must be within 6" of the rear or side of the driver's head, extend in height atleast 3" above the driver's helmet with the driver in normal position, and at least as wide as the driver's sholders or within 1" of the driver's door. Must be adequately spported or cross-braced to prevent forward or lateral collapse. Braces must be of the same diameter and wall thickness as the roll bar and intersect with the roll bar at a point not more than 5" from the top of the roll bar. Side bar must be included on driver's side. The side bar must pass the driver at a point midway between the shoulder and elbow.

YOUR arguement of the rules/facts here would be with IHRA NOT me!!

#1 Rear bars are not requirred in IHRA.

#2 There is no 30 degree angle rule in IHRA

#3 "brace bars" are not required to be straight

Bottom line is ANY BRACE(S) that adequately supports the main hoop in any direction or angle would LEGAL in IHRA!

YOU people can ARGUE as to which way is better, but ANY way is IHRA legal!!

Of course you can create a roll bar/cage better or stronger than the rules require.
I would think, and one of you engineers can let us know the answer here, that an in-cab cage with side bars and roof bars and HALO bars and...so on....Make it as strong as you want...aslong as the main hoop is adequately supported as stated above...it would be legal and safe as the main bar basically becomes a four/six point cage!

This "cage" would not be 9 second legal cage, but it would be a legal/safe 10 second roll bar!

Last edited by fomocofan on 02-07-2005 at 05:54 PM

Old 02-11-2005 | 01:09 AM

I have actually subscribed to this thread...LOL. This may be a new record breaker. 75 pages of , "yes you did"..."no I didn't"

Your on a roll Jamie....

Rocks

Old 02-11-2005 | 01:11 AM
Does either rule book specifically say if we can run down the track blindfolded? What about going down the track in reverse, does either rulebook specify? If not in the book, do you think a track official would let us race blindfolded in reverse? Technically it would be legal, right? But would it be safe?

Old 02-11-2005 | 01:16 AM
Originally posted by LightningTuner
I said you were wrong because you are. I know the rules, even without an IHRA rulebook in front of me. You have been proven wrong in this thread many times. You are the only one who doesn't see that. You have asked for all this proof, and we have all given it to you. But you have not acknowledged any of our legitimate replies. You just keep repeating the same thing you've said for 10 pages over and over again as your defense, even after being proved wrong.

I have never had a problem with you Jamie, and I still have no hard feelings after all this. This is what the internet is great for, debates and discussions. If this were a thread about billet grilles or seat covers, I'd never have joined in. But when it comes to people's safety, I will not pull any punches. We are here to have fun with our trucks, SAFELY. Even if your rulebook doesn't mention rear bars, it was a poor decision to suggest what you did. And you have to admit that it's a little ironic that a guy with a "correct" bar in his truck is telling people they don't have to run rear bars.

Sal, you people you not proved ME wrong because I made NO claims!!

You don't get it, you keep saying you proved ME wrong many times...about WHAT???

The only "claim" I made was that IHRA does not require REAR bars!

That FACT that they require "BRACE BARS" with no specific angle or direction is proof that they do not require REAR bars and therefore I am NOT WRONG!

You or anyone has not proven that IHRA requires rear bars!!

I have acknowledged that perhaps NHRA rules are better than IHRA and that rear are perhaps better than front braces, but I made no claims that forward bars were better than rear bars, nor did I say that in any way that I know any bar design to be safe....I only claim to know what IHRA says they will accept!

Old 02-11-2005 | 01:17 AM
. . . I have said ten times on here...It is not my opinion, but FACTS to answer the question...Are rear bars required? No they are not!!!

IHRA rukebook 2005:

All roll bars must be within 6" of the rear or side of the driver's head, extend in height atleast 3" above the driver's helmet with the driver in normal position, and at least as wide as the driver's sholders or within 1" of the driver's door. Must be adequately spported or cross-braced to prevent forward or lateral collapse. Braces must be of the same diameter and wall thickness as the roll bar and intersect with the roll bar at a point not more than 5" from the top of the roll bar. Side bar must be included on driver's side. The side bar must pass the driver at a point midway between the shoulder and elbow.

. . .
Houston, we have a problem. Logic Failure! Warning! Abort argument!

This IHRA passage that you posted is word-for-word the same as the NHRA rulebook pages posted above, with only two exceptions:
1. The NHRA says "Rear braces must be of the same diameter . . ." Are you sure that you didn't "accidentally" skip a word when typing?
2. The NHRA rules have a sentence inserted allowing swing-out side bars.

It only makes sense that the two sanctioning bodies would attempt to track each other's rules to the maximum extent possible. Oh, wait, sorry. If it doesn't say it in the rules, it must not be true.

You have admitted that the NHRA requires rear bars. So what is the difference? The picture? The NHRA picture does not actually say that rear bars are required.

So are you admitting that even though the NHRA rulebook does not actually say that rear bars are required, they are? But denying the same thing for the IHRA rules?

Lucy, you got some susplaining to do . . .

Last edited by Tim Skelton; 02-11-2005 at 01:20 AM.
Old 02-11-2005 | 01:23 AM
Originally posted by 03LightninRocks

I have actually subscribed to this thread...LOL. This may be a new record breaker. 75 pages of , "yes you did"..."no I didn't"

Your on a roll Jamie....

Rocks
And i'll keep on posting that me simply stating what the IHRA rule books says in no way makes me wrong!

I have to keep posting it 75 times, because i have 75 idiots out here that probably can't even read let alone pick up a rulebook and make sense out of it, telling me i'm wrong...and they dont even know why.....other than they are Sal's kiss-a$$ customers defending his fat a$$!!

Old 02-11-2005 | 01:28 AM
And i'll keep on posting that me simply stating what the IHRA rule books says in no way makes me wrong!

I have to keep posting it 75 times, because i have 75 idiots out here that probably can't even read let alone pick up a rulebook and make sense out of it, telling me i'm wrong...and they dont even know why.....other than they are Sal's kiss-a$$ customers defending his fat a$$!!

I am busting a gut here...................

Now back slowly away from the keyboard. I think you've gone mad....

Old 02-11-2005 | 01:29 AM
Actually, the rulebook doesn't mean quatcha!

The tech inspector'sinterpretation of the rulebook is what let's you race or not.

Herb

Houston, we have a problem. Logic Failure! Warning! Abort argument!

This IHRA passage that you posted is word-for-word the same as the NHRA rulebook pages posted above, with only two exceptions:
1. The NHRA says "Rear braces must be of the same diameter . . ." Are you sure that you didn't "accidentally" skip a word when typing?
2. The NHRA rules have a sentence inserted allowing swing-out side bars.

It only makes sense that the two sanctioning bodies would attempt to track each other's rules to the maximum extent possible. Oh, wait, sorry. If it doesn't say it in the rules, it must not be true.

You have admitted that the NHRA requires rear bars. So what is the difference? The picture? The NHRA picture does not actually say that rear bars are required.

So are you admitting that even though the NHRA rulebook does not actually say that rear bars are required, they are? But denying the same thing for the IHRA rules?

Lucy, you got some susplaining to do . . .

No Tim, there is no typo there, but I think you might just be on to something here!!

You seemed to pick up on THE difference in the rules that I have been talking about for 75 pages!!!

How much "common sense" does it take to see that IHRA does not use the words REAR BAR for a reason!!
They obviously intended to mean that a brace bar is required and that it does not have to be directed in any particular direction or angle...otherwise they would have specified that just as NHRA did!

Busted!

From the IHRA rulebook:

"ROLL BARS:
. . . Rear braces must be of the same diameter and wall thickness as the roll bar and intersect with the roll bar at a point not more than 5 inches from the top of the roll bar. . . ."

http://members.tripod.com/dragsite/id5.htm

Never bring a knife to a gunfight.

Game over. Good night.

Last edited by Tim Skelton; 02-11-2005 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-11-2005 | 01:30 AM
No Tim, there is no typo there, but I think you might just be on to something here!! . . .
I'm onto something alright -- your ***.

Old 02-11-2005 | 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Herb101
Actually, the rulebook doesn't mean quatcha!

The tech inspector'sinterpretation of the rulebook is what let's you race or not.

Herb
They interpret what the book says, not what it doesn't say!
It is a reference guide and what it says is very important,not what it doesn't say!

If there is a point of controversy on a vehicle, they look it up..if there isn't anything to say it isn't allowed, they must pass it!

Let's say, I have fuzzy dice hanging from my mirror, they question it..then look in the book....Hmmm, nothing in there about that, so it passes!

On the other hand, if a trans shield is required by the book and I dont have one...I'm outa there!

Tech inspectors are not there to certify the chassis, only to make sure everything is on the car that is supposed to be and that nothing is on the car that shouldn't, accoording to the book or a loose interpretation of it...NOT "common sense" laws!!!

Last edited by fomocofan; 02-11-2005 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-11-2005 | 01:40 AM
OH My......... .

Even you have to admit the irony here Jamie.....

Old 02-11-2005 | 01:41 AM
I'm onto something alright -- your ***.
Tim, I didn't know that about you..I'll be careful not to bend over in front of you!

Quick Reply: roll cage question. (do rules require)...