Lightning

roll cage question. (do rules require)...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005 | 12:45 PM
Originally posted by 03LightninRocks
That may be part of what is irratating to Sal, Jamie has a roll bar with the bracing going to the rear.

I can't speak for Jamie, but I think the point he is trying to make is that he feels technically, no rear bracing is required in IHRA since the book doesn't refer to the rear bracing specifically.

I am thinking IHRA may have simply left the words, rear bracing, off by mistake in the 2005 book, since they show a picture of the cage with rear bracing.

Rocks
Yeah!!! SOMEBODY GETS IT!!!

ATTA boy Ron!

That's all I was trying to say, IHRA omitted the word REAR for some reason...My interpretation on that is that it then means that rear bars specifically are not required!

Old 02-11-2005 | 12:46 PM
Originally posted by LightningTuner
Tim, he did answer the question on the last page:

"The image above from your website does appear in the 2005 IHRA rulebook with the same writting except for a line about the cross brace diameter!

That image in no way implies that that is the ONLY way a roll bar is to be constructed!

The rules do not refer to the illustration for further desciption of said bar.

No where does it say that the roll bar must look as pictured!"

So the IHRA does have the same picture, but he now says you don't have to listen to the picture because the rules don't specifially say you have to design as per the picture. Can this get any more retarted?
Sal, thanks for spoiling my fun...I was gonna see how many times he asked me that before he realized it...how stupid is that??

Old 02-11-2005 | 12:49 PM
Hank Blankenship
IHRA Regional Tech Director
Phone: 276-531-8654

Old 02-11-2005 | 12:51 PM
Originally posted by fomocofan

That's all I was trying to say, IHRA omitted the word REAR for some reason...My interpretation on that is that it then means that rear bars specifically are not required!
Ah, but see that's the problem. It's YOUR interpretation. That does not mean you are right.

Old 02-11-2005 | 12:56 PM
Tim, he did answer the question on the last page:

"The image above from your website does appear in the 2005 IHRA rulebook with the same writting except for a line about the cross brace diameter!

That image in no way implies that that is the ONLY way a roll bar is to be constructed!

The rules do not refer to the illustration for further desciption of said bar.

No where does it say that the roll bar must look as pictured!"

So the IHRA does have the same picture, but he now says you don't have to listen to the picture because the rules don't specifially say you have to design as per the picture. Can this get any more retarted?
I have always said that IHRA showed a picture aswell, but as you can see, the picture specifically illustrates certain criteria about the bar...none of which are related to direction of the bar and all of which are in the written section of the rules.
Furthermore, the picture or words in it do not supercede or in any way say anything different than the written section of the rules pertaining to roll bars!

If the picture were intended to add additional information to the rules, there would be a note in the rules saying this!

Sal, I think you said NHRA did refer to the pic for further description...that I would accept, but again, as you can plainly see IHRA does things different!
I think IHRA is aware of NHRA's rules and they are obviously making a point of having a different ruling here!

Again, I will concede that NHRA seems to "imply" that rear bars are required....that would be a hard case even for me to defend...BUT, IHRA in no way implys that rear bars are required...becuase they go out of there way to call them simply braces!

Old 02-11-2005 | 01:01 PM
Ah, but see that's the problem. It's YOUR interpretation. That does not mean you are right.
Correct Sal....It is my opinion, I am entitled to that...I do not feel that you or anyone on here should take that away from me by calling me "completely wrong"!

I never claimed to be "right"...I simply said that I was not wrong, as I was only going by what IHRA says in there rulebook!

If you hadn't jumped all over me for "giving bad advice" and being wrong, and just let me state what IHRA says...becuase after all, that's what this thread was about... I-menace asked what the rulebook said, none of this "bickering" would have happened!

Old 02-11-2005 | 01:02 PM
Originally posted by dealerjim
Hank Blankenship
IHRA Regional Tech Director
Phone: 276-531-8654
Did anyone call him?

Let me just say, I could care less about being right or wrong...I have been both before....But it would be nice to get a clarification on this rule!

Old 02-11-2005 | 01:15 PM
So you could care less about being right or wrong?

That's nice to know when you are giving people advice that can kill them. At least you are safe with the correct bar in YOUR truck.

Old 02-11-2005 | 01:54 PM
Originally posted by fomocofan
Sal, thanks for spoiling my fun...I was gonna see how many times he asked me that before he realized it...how stupid is that??
Stupid? No. Inattentive? Maybe. My brain was obviously shutting down as a self-defense mechanism against the assault of your mindless, incoherent, and internally inconsistent blather.

I'm not even going to bother firing back. It's just too easy.

Old 02-11-2005 | 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
Stupid? No. Inattentive? Maybe. My brain was obviously shutting down as a self-defense mechanism against the assault of your mindless, incoherent, and internally inconsistent blather.

I'm not even going to bother firing back. It's just too easy.
Ah, but you did!

Hmmm...if i'm all that..then why are you spending so much time here with me?

Are you waiting for me to bend over?

Timmy.....Shame on you!

Last edited by fomocofan; 02-11-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2005 | 02:06 PM
So you could care less about being right or wrong?

That's nice to know when you are giving people advice that can kill them. At least you are safe with the correct bar in YOUR truck.
I gave no advice here!
Besides that you are not an engineer and YOU cannot tell me or anyone whether or not my idea is as safe/safer/ or less safe than the norm!

I am saying that YOU have no place telling me I am wrong in either my qoute of the rules or my idea for a bar that meets the rules as I see them..

I would accept an answer from either IHRA or an engineer respectively...but NOT YOU!

You, in fact "interpreted" the rules aswell....and were wrong!!

There is no 30 degree rule for roll bars nor is there a 30 degree rule on a cage in IHRA!

I guess it's ok for you to be wrong, though, huh?

Old 02-11-2005 | 02:29 PM
Move along, nothing to see here!

This thread got real ugly, real quick. If you have questions about the legality of a certain roll bar/cage, contact the governing body of the races that you will be attending.
Then post your results for everyone on here to benefit from.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: roll cage question. (do rules require)...