Lightning

roll cage question. (do rules require)...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005 | 01:12 AM
i would like to know if the rear bars could be removeable,

for work i need to be able to take my cover on and off.

Old 02-07-2005 | 01:36 AM
Originally posted by LightningTuner
Here's a quick test for you... Stand straight up. Put one foot forward about a foot. Have someone push you from behind. You're not going anywhere. Now stay in that same position, and have someone push you from the front. Watch your head on the floor.
if i were to put in a cage i would do the rear bars, but this example isn't quite how it works. your foot isn't welded to the floor to not allow u from falling backwards as a forward bar would be welded to the frame to not allow this. structurally from an engineering point of view it would work without rear bars, BUT who wants to take the chance. you can never go over board when it comes to safety

Old 02-07-2005 | 04:01 AM
Originally posted by thehammer
i would like to know if the rear bars could be removeable,

for work i need to be able to take my cover on and off.
No, the rear bars cannot be removable.

Old 02-07-2005 | 07:04 AM
Monkeys, Thank you.

I too believe in added safety and would prefer to see forward and rearward bars REQUIRRED aswell, but for now that is not how it is worded!
It could be argued that IHRA should change the rules to prevent rearward movement of the hoop in conjunction with adding a mandatory pass side diagonal.
At this point, only a point bar is all that is requirred!

I personally think that the rear bar design was establish because in a typical application there are already two forward bars, adding the braces to the rear would strengthen the entire bar further in that case.
However, this is not about what you or I think!

Sal, I personally don't claim to be a structural engineer and I an not giving any personal beliefs here on the subject, only stating what the rules WILL allow!
IHRA says "properly braced to prevent forward and lateral collapse", as pointed out here...a forward brace is equal to if not better than a rearward brace to prevent FORWARD movement!!

Old 02-07-2005 | 07:13 AM
Okay ...

The reason you need the rear, which is totally obvious to
anyone tha t values their life, is that the bars are in compression
when force is applied from the rear. If you just had front
leaning bars they would be held only by the welds, and ripped to
shreads on a rear impact.

After seeing the car in front of me roll, I'm with Stan too ... It's
not "ROLLING", it's FALLING !!!

FoMoCoFan ... you're arguing a losing point ... All governing
bodies require the rear bars with very few exceptions.

Old 02-07-2005 | 09:31 AM
Aside from the obvious safety benefit of rear bars, there's also the PERFORMANCE aspect that you gain. A good bar/cage will run to the suspension pick-up points to reinforce them, allowing the suspension to work better. Ideally, the rear bars should intersect the rear chassis right above the front leaf spring perch, which should make your truck quicker through the first few hundred feet where traction matters the most.

Old 02-07-2005 | 09:36 AM
Originally posted by fomocofan
It's a funny thing about metal...it doesn't get stronger or weaker depending on which way it is pointed!!
Actually, metal does care which way it's pointed. To prevent forward movement of the main hoop, the forward facing braces would be in compression and thus subject to buckling. Rear braces would be in tension and not subject to buckling.

Forward facing braces that were within 5 inches of the top, at least 30 degrees to the main hoop, straight (bent braces are basically useless as they'll buckle with very little load), and terminated at the frame would run right through the drivers body on an L.

Old 02-07-2005 | 10:46 AM
Last year I heard rumors from some Lightning guys in Texas who said NHRA had talked about a full "halo" type of cage as an option to the rear bars that tie the main roll bar to the rear frame. Notice I described as a cage rather than a 6-point roll bar configuration. This would, however, eliminate the bars from going through the back window.

Old 02-07-2005 | 01:17 PM
Originally posted by jarmstro
No, the rear bars cannot be removable.

is there a reason why--- why can't you insert another piece of pipe and bolt it from the window and then bolt it to the bottom flange that has been weld to the box?

Old 02-07-2005 | 01:23 PM
same reason swing out door bars are not suppose to be legal after a certain mph or e.t. structuraly it will collapse or break away at the point were the pins are located. or shear the pins. swing out door bars were intended for show vehicles and were never meant for a race vehicle.

Old 02-07-2005 | 05:27 PM
Guys, I am not argueing anything! I am simply saying what is IHRA legal! I have said ten times on here...It is not my opinion, but FACTS to answer the question...Are rear bars required? No they are not!!!

IHRA rukebook 2005:

All roll bars must be within 6" of the rear or side of the driver's head, extend in height atleast 3" above the driver's helmet with the driver in normal position, and at least as wide as the driver's sholders or within 1" of the driver's door. Must be adequately spported or cross-braced to prevent forward or lateral collapse. Braces must be of the same diameter and wall thickness as the roll bar and intersect with the roll bar at a point not more than 5" from the top of the roll bar. Side bar must be included on driver's side. The side bar must pass the driver at a point midway between the shoulder and elbow.

YOUR arguement of the rules/facts here would be with IHRA NOT me!!

#1 Rear bars are not requirred in IHRA.

#2 There is no 30 degree angle rule in IHRA

#3 "brace bars" are not required to be straight

Bottom line is ANY BRACE(S) that adequately supports the main hoop in any direction or angle would LEGAL in IHRA!

YOU people can ARGUE as to which way is better, but ANY way is IHRA legal!!

Of course you can create a roll bar/cage better or stronger than the rules require.
I would think, and one of you engineers can let us know the answer here, that an in-cab cage with side bars and roof bars and HALO bars and...so on....Make it as strong as you want...aslong as the main hoop is adequately supported as stated above...it would be legal and safe as the main bar basically becomes a four/six point cage!

This "cage" would not be 9 second legal cage, but it would be a legal/safe 10 second roll bar!

Last edited by fomocofan; 02-07-2005 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2005 | 10:01 PM
you are still on this fomoco?

if you argue long enough, it does not make you right

try it and if you are right everyone will say "hey the nut case was right"

you would be just like christoper columbus

Old 02-07-2005 | 11:03 PM
HI!... Our tracks around here use NHRA rules so the IHRA rules mean nothing here.

Old 02-08-2005 | 04:37 AM
Lightning quick...READ the above..I am NOT wrong about ANYTHING....
I am NOT argueing about anything...everyone else is saying that i am wrong...all I am doing is telling what IHRA says...
There is no right or wrong about that!!

neal, I race all over the USA and the forum covers the whole USA. I race on IHRA and NHRA tracks and NHRA rules are almost identical to IHRA....Don't let some bitter old mistaken tuner make you think NHRA rules are radically different...just because he says...it's simply not true!!

Sal called me out and told me that my comments were "completely untrue"...I have proven, with a direct qoute of the rulebook, that I am correct...Sal has no proof of his claims!

Sal says that my design idea would not work because of NHRA's 30 degree and rear bar rule..
Where is the proof on this?

Inorder for me to be WRONG...someone would have to prove me WRONG...nobody has done that!!

The only thing that has come out of this is that everyone thinks rear bars would be safer and I agreed to that...
But, that did not prove me wrong or answer the original question of...
Are rear bars REQUIRED??

NO, they are not!

Last edited by fomocofan; 02-08-2005 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-08-2005 | 10:07 AM
You have been proved wrong, you just don't want to admit it. You keep reading one part of the rulebook that caters to your side of the debate, when there are other parts that state what I've said.

How about this.... ask any IHRA tech official, and see what they say. Then come back and apologize.

Quick Reply: roll cage question. (do rules require)...