Lightning

roll cage question. (do rules require)...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005 | 11:00 AM
i think before you go around and say you are right and sal is wrong you better contact an ihra tech inspector before you state that your inturpitations(sp?) of the rules is right and everyone else is wrong. i'll betcha he/she will say refer to the sample pic.

especially since some of these guys will say well so and so said it was legal and worse yet they install a cage per you design and the crash and die or if there lucky enough the tech inspectors wont allow them to run.

Old 02-08-2005 | 11:02 AM
would someone please call or e-mail a ihra and a nhratech directo to see what they say is required.

Old 02-08-2005 | 12:53 PM
Originally posted by fomocofan
YOUR arguement of the rules/facts here would be with IHRA NOT me!!

#1 Rear bars are not requirred in IHRA.

#2 There is no 30 degree angle rule in IHRA

#3 "brace bars" are not required to be straight

Bottom line is ANY BRACE(S) that adequately supports the main hoop in any direction or angle would LEGAL in IHRA!

YOU people can ARGUE as to which way is better, but ANY way is IHRA legal!!
adequately supports, adequately supports, adequately supports

did you catch that part?

The arguement is not with the IHRA, it's with you. Most people realize what "adequately supports" implies, you obviously do not.

Old 02-08-2005 | 02:26 PM
Originally posted by RDY2RAC
same reason swing out door bars are not suppose to be legal after a certain mph or e.t. structuraly it will collapse or break away at the point were the pins are located. or shear the pins. swing out door bars were intended for show vehicles and were never meant for a race vehicle.

VINNIE is using the swing out door bars and his truck is running in the 10's.

So what would be the legal mph or e.t.

I've talked to the tech at our track and he was unsure as he said ''there nothing in the rule book that says i can't do the back bars removeable. I would also be using the biggest bolts i could then the small pins that the swing out doors come with.

i've seen one other lightning done with the hard cover and roll bar and it looks like s**t and he says it leaks all the time.

i would just like to make sure first.

thanks.

Last edited by thehammer; 02-08-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-08-2005 | 02:34 PM
Originally posted by thehammer
VINNIE is using the swing out door bars and his truck is running in the 10's.

So what would be the legal mph or e.t.

I've talked to the tech at our track and he was unsure as he said ''there nothing in the rule book that says i can't do the back bars removeable. I would also be using the biggest bolts i could then the small pins that the swing out doors come with.

i've seen one other lightning done with the hard cover and roll bar and it looks like s**t and he says it leaks all the time.

i would just like to make sure first.

thanks.
You can run swing out bars on the side. You can't run them in the back. The rulebook specifically states "all rear braces must be welded in".

Old 02-08-2005 | 03:26 PM
thanks Sal,

looks like i'll have to pass on the bars at this time and stay within the 11.5 rules.

Old 02-08-2005 | 06:27 PM
HI!... Well I just talked to my chassis builder and he told me you NEED the rear bars on any cage installed. That is a must!!! They *MUST* be welded in solid. No swing out or removable bars for the rear bars. This guy built the 12 point chrome moly cage in my PRO STREET RANGER and will be building the cage for my F-150. Twice a month he has a NHRA tech ispector come down to his shop to certify his cages. He has never failed a tech inspection. He also builds complete tube chassis drag cars from scratch. He's a professional, so I know he knows what he's talking about.

Old 02-10-2005 | 01:24 PM
Sal, You have proved NOTHING!

Sal, you are the one sau=ying I am wrong, but you have proved NOTHING!!

I provided ALL the rules pretaining to a roll bar except for a paragraph about roll barr padding and floor plates!

I have the rule book here Sal...There is nothing in it that says anything about REAR bars or 30 degrees!!

So, therefore YOU would be ioncorrect!

No IHRA official can DQ a vehicle for "rules" that are NOT in the rulebook!!

Neal, REAR baras ARE requirred for roll CAGES, you're friend is correct....BUT,they ARE NOT REQUIRED for a roll BAR!!

Front braces are more than adequate to prevent FORWARD movement of the main bar

SAL, I OWE you or anyone here an apology for being correct!

You are the one that said I was totally incorrect about rear bars being requirred...
Show me where it says that!!

Obviously you can't, or you would have done it already!

Old 02-10-2005 | 01:49 PM
you are so stupid. so seriously dumb you can't read. shut up already please. your wrong, everyone else on the board knows your wrong except the other two idiotic voices in your head convincing you to publicly display your behavior of being a total tard. your reading one section of an old book that pertains nothing to the specific rule in question, get a life, or some reading skills.

Old 02-10-2005 | 03:14 PM
Sal, You have proved NOTHING!

Sal, you are the one sau=ying I am wrong, but you have proved NOTHING!!

I provided ALL the rules pretaining to a roll bar except for a paragraph about roll barr padding and floor plates!

I have the rule book here Sal...There is nothing in it that says anything about REAR bars or 30 degrees!!

So, therefore YOU would be ioncorrect!

No IHRA official can DQ a vehicle for "rules" that are NOT in the rulebook!!

Neal, REAR baras ARE requirred for roll CAGES, you're friend is correct....BUT,they ARE NOT REQUIRED for a roll BAR!!

Front braces are more than adequate to prevent FORWARD movement of the main bar

SAL, I OWE you or anyone here an apology for being correct!

You are the one that said I was totally incorrect about rear bars being requirred...
Show me where it says that!!

Obviously you can't, or you would have done it already!
You have seriously got to be a freakin moron. So much so, that I have made a statement like that publically - something I never do.

I have told you all the correct info, you are just choosing to ignore it. There are more to the rules than what is specifically written. But since you are SOOOO bent on what is written, get out your rulebook and read along with the following quote from the IHRA rulebook, in the roll bar section under general guidelines...

"Mandatory in all cars running 11.49 or quicker, or per class
requirements. All roll bars must be within 6 inches of the rear or
side of the driver's head, extend in height at least 3 inches above
the driver's helmet with driver in normal driving position, and be at
least as wide as the driver's shoulders or within 1 inch of the
driver's door. Rollbar must be adequately supported or cross-braced to prevent forward or lateral collapse. Rear braces must be
of the same diameter and wall thickness as the roll bar and
intersect with the roll bar at a point not more than 5 inches from
the top of the roll bar. Sidebar must be included on driver's side
and must pass the driver at a point midway between the shoulder
and elbow. Swing-out sidebar permitted. All roll bars must have in
their construction a cross bar for seat bracing and as the shoulder-
harness attachment point; cross bar must be installed no more
than 4 inches below, and not above, the driver's shoulders or to
side bar."

Now I know you can read, since that seems to be your big thing, so follow along..

Rollbar must be adequately supported or cross-braced to prevent forward or lateral collapse.

You need rear bars to prevent forward collapse. Plain and simple. Only having front facing bars does not qualify as adequate support because nothing is holding the main hoop from the rear. You can have 10 front bars, they all attach at the same point on the floor. Front "cage" bars with an upper halo does NOT support the main hoop from going forward. What that setup does, is prevent the roof from caving in WHEN USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A PROPER BAR WITH REAR BARS.

Rear braces must be of the same diameter and wall thickness as the roll bar and intersect with the roll bar at a point not more than 5 inches from the top of the roll bar.

It says REAR BRACES, and it tells you how to construct/attach them. Not only that, but it shows a diagram of it. What are you not understanding?

Either you are purposely trying to be a jackass, or you are the stupidist person on the planet. I have a feeling most people reading this think both.

Old 02-10-2005 | 03:28 PM
Listen JACKASS...YOU ARE NOT QOUTING THAT FROM AN IHRA RULEBOOK!

IHRA DOES NOT SAY REAR BARS ARE REQUIRRED...I posted the qoute from my 2005 rulebook on page 121

I dont see where your qoute is from,but obviously it is as outdated as you are!!

The term "rear bars" have been replaced with "braces"

Get an up to date rule book before YOU go calling someone wrong!

YOU are the one looking like an *** for trying (unsuccessfully) to prove me wrong!!

BTW where is the part in the rulebook about the 30 degree bars??
Did you just make that up, or that one one of mysterious rules that aren't in the book!

Officials cannot and do not go by any rules that are not in the rulebook..that is the purpose of having a rulebook!!

I guess you were wrong about that too, weren't you!!!

Last edited by fomocofan; 02-10-2005 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2005 | 03:47 PM
Listen JACKASS...YOU ARE NOT QOUTING THAT FROM AN IHRA RULEBOOK!

IHRA DOES NOT SAY REAR BARS ARE REQUIRRED...I posted the qoute from my 2005 rulebook on page 121

I dont see where your qoute is from,but obviously it is as outdated as you are!!

The term "rear bars" have been replaced with "braces"

Get an up to date rule book before YOU go calling someone wrong!

YOU are the one looking like an *** for trying (unsuccessfully) to prove me wrong!!

BTW where is the part in the rulebook about the 30 degree bars??
Did you just make that up, or that one one of mysterious rules that aren't in the book!

Officials cannot and do not go by any rules that are not in the rulebook..that is the purpose of having a rulebook!!

I guess you were wrong about that too, weren't you!!!
My quote was taken from a chassis builder/supplier's site, where they have the IHRA rules listed in their FAQ, to show people what is required.

The 30 degree rule is in the roll cage section following the roll bar section. The roll cage section goes into further depth on the proper construction of the assembly. The specs listed in the roll cage section apply to the parts required in the roll bar section as well.

Your whole argument is based on what's "exactly" written. But that's not "exactly" what the rules are. Just because the rulebook doesn't say you can't do/change something, doesn't mean you can. The rulebook is a guide. Some rules that are listed specifically must be carried out that way. Other rules are simply guides that are carried out with common sense.

But more importantly, is that the rulebook means nothing when you are standing in the tech line. The tech inspector's ruling overrules what's written in the rulebook. The tech inspector can fail you even if your car is 100% "by the book", if he feels something has been done in an unsafe way.

So honestly no tech inspector is going to allow a bar with no rear braces. You can argue what is or is not written in the rulebook all you want.

It's also obvious that you have not contacted the IHRA or any IHRA tech official and asked about this matter.

Old 02-10-2005 | 03:53 PM
I don't think one person on here will agree with that.....

-Kimball

Old 02-10-2005 | 03:57 PM
Your first mistake was by going by second hand information!

My info comes directly from the IHRA rulebook.

Info off "joe Blow" chassis builders website isn't gospel!

The 30 degree ROLL CAGE rule only applys to seat upright braces on front engine dragsters!!

You cannot take a rule out of context from a section on roll cages and apply it to a roll bar!!

The rules on roll bars are very vague, and yes an inspector can fail a car for not meeting the rules, but an inspector cannot fail a car for rules that are NOT in the book!!!

Old 02-10-2005 | 04:13 PM
You cannot take a rule out of context from a section on roll cages and apply it to a roll bar!!
Check the title of the thread chief. We have been talking about cages the whole time.

-Kimball

Quick Reply: roll cage question. (do rules require)...