Lightning

I'm neck deep in it now... It won't start after upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005 | 07:59 PM
|
Unhappy I'm neck deep in it now... It won't start after upgrades.

Ahh, the "IT WON'T START THREAD", this time with me as the author. I'll go over my actions and maybe someone can think of something I might have missed.

I performed an upgrade of my blower to a ported blower, upper plenum and throttle body, and installed a set of NGK TR8IX's while the blower was out of the way. I did a cleaning of the intercooler and the lower intake tract, and found almost a half quart of oil in the galley.... nice.

Anyway, I buttoned everything back together, using the old metal gaskets between the intercooler and the blower, torqued it to 17 and then to 35 ft/lbs. I then installed the plenum, the new throttle body and attached the EGR, IAC and the other confections.

IT WON'T START.

It will just turn over and over, but no sign of life.

So far, I've checked the MAF connection, the boost pressure connector, just about every other connector around the area that I've worked in. The stock PCV system is still in place until I get a sucessful start.

So, any ideas?

Old 02-05-2005 | 08:06 PM
Are you sure you put the leads back on the injectors and plugs? Not an uncommon problem with 16 of 'em to do.

Old 02-05-2005 | 08:12 PM
|
Originally posted by kerno
Are you sure you put the leads back on the injectors and plugs? Not an uncommon problem with 16 of 'em to do.
I've checked them all. To my embarrasment I noticed that I had 1 stray TR8IX on my tray... OOPS. Forgot the plug on the passenger side front hole! I put it in and rechecked all the other plugs and injectors... no such luck.

Old 02-05-2005 | 08:18 PM
Is the theft light going out after 3 sec?
Could you have blown a fuse?

Old 02-05-2005 | 10:30 PM
kinda off topic...

TR-8?

I thought people used tr-6, and higher boost applications used BR-7.

I never heard of anyone running tr-8? I'm guessing they are cooler than the BR-7.
Idle on the BR-7 commonly isn't that great because is such a cool plug.

I'm guessing you are running too cool a plug. remember the Lightning has low compression due to the supercharger, especially at idle.

Old 02-06-2005 | 01:14 AM
I hope when you did all of this you disconnected the battery ?
If not maybe some type of short or if you left a plug while tring to start maybe the ecm needs to be reset

Also you sure all of the Vac lines are right seems that would be the most common prob especially for egr,upper int with having the blower off and all but I don't know if it would prevet a start

Lastely can you here the fuel pump primming when you turn key with out starting your fuel system could be air bound some how try to cycle the key a few times and see if pump is going on or bleed at the schrader valve (be carefull full psi there) hold a rag over to make sure you got fuel

Good luck
'Slick

Old 02-06-2005 | 01:27 AM
Originally posted by l-menace
kinda off topic...

TR-8?

I thought people used tr-6, and higher boost applications used BR-7.

I never heard of anyone running tr-8? I'm guessing they are cooler than the BR-7.
Idle on the BR-7 commonly isn't that great because is such a cool plug.

I'm guessing you are running too cool a plug. remember the Lightning has low compression due to the supercharger, especially at idle.
TR8IX's here for 6 months, runs & idles like a charm.

Old 02-06-2005 | 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Blown347Hatch
TR8IX's here for 6 months, runs & idles like a charm.
Tr-6's and doing the same if not worse things than you.

-Patrick

Old 02-06-2005 | 03:28 AM
One thing is true here. It is not the plugs or any of the mods. None of the changes that were made will keep it from firing. Something is either dis-connected or misconnected.

Old 02-06-2005 | 10:41 AM
Check the fuel pump fuse in the engine compartment. You might have shorted something and that would stop it from starting; actually check all the fuses.

Old 02-06-2005 | 10:41 AM
Check the fuel pump fuse in the engine compartment. You might have shorted something and that would stop it from starting; actually check all the fuses.

Old 02-06-2005 | 10:45 AM
Was the battery disconnected prior to pulling the parts?

Herb

Old 02-06-2005 | 01:52 PM
haha

i did the same f'n thing. Check the following. Facing the front of the truck there is a vaccuum fitting on the lower intake mannifold, make sure that is on. Also, make sure you put all your pcv lines on ALL THE WAY. The big line that goes on the IAC valve on my plenum was not slid on and my truck cranked and cranked and cranked but wouldn't start. I was going nuts for like an HOUR. Finally i went to shut the hood and went NOOOOO, YOU STUPID BASTARD!!!

Old 02-06-2005 | 03:12 PM
yep check all your vac lines anyone off and it wont start

Old 02-06-2005 | 04:11 PM
FUEL CUT OFF SWITCH

"I am going to fix the problem for you check your fuel cut off are you aware lightnings have a fuel cut off switch in case your in an accident this is probley the cause check and make sure. i believe it is up under the passanger side near computer fuel and fire and air and it should start. thanks

Last edited by tlfwatch; 02-06-2005 at 04:16 PM.

Quick Reply: I'm neck deep in it now... It won't start after upgrades.